Could this eventually wear down the slide lock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    If you're in a situation that's stressful enough to impair your fine motor skills, then that means that things are happening rather briskly. I, for one, would wish to reacquire a proper sight picture on my "target" as quickly as possible. I favor the 1911 for serious social engagements and my training would have me lock the fresh magazine home and re-establish my firing grip with my support hand, while I simultaneously present the pistol towards the target and drop the slide with the lever which is (conveniently) directly under my right thumb, as JMB intended. It seems to me this would be quicker than bringing my support hand from under the pistol, over the top of the slide (blocking my sights), slingshot the slide, then get my hand back under the gun, re-establish firing grip while trying to relocate my sights and get on target before receiving any incoming. YMMV:twocents:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    When performing an empty mag reload with the slide locked back, the conventional wisdom seems to be to pull back on the slide to send it back to battery. The other way obviously is to press down on the slide lock lever. My question is, would this action done repeatedly eventually wear down the slide lock or will it not hurt it?

Different trainers, different users of different guns, etc preach different ways of doing this.

Are you asking, if you use press down on the slide stop/slide lock/slide release (various manufacturers call it different things as some guns are designed to operate differently regarding this), will it eventually wear on the parts? Wherever there is metal to metal contact you will eventually have wear.

Go with what works for you and the model/style of gun you shoot/carry.

Vickers just had a TacTV episode on firearm myths and covered this.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The other way obviously is to press down on the slide lock lever. My question is, would this action done repeatedly eventually wear down the slide lock or will it not hurt it?

I do slide-lock reloads with the lever vs pulling the slide back. I do this quite frequently (some guns probably seeing a couple thousand times). I've not seen one wear yet. Not that doesn't mean they couldn't, but you're not likely to see it. IF you did see wear, a quick pass w/ a small file to square the edges back up would be all the repair would require.

What? It's a bad practice on match grade firearms and on high end 1911s. Look it up. The biggest thing you could damage is the chamber walls/extractor. But it would take A LOT of disengaging to harm the gun.

The contradiction you are seeing is because you have the cause right, not the effect. Taking a fine match grade 1911, for instance, and dropping the slide on an empty chamber will not hurt the " chamber walls/extractor." What it can do is damage/peen the slide stop pin as the barrel lugs crash into it, and this can loosen a tight match-quality barrel lock-up. The other problem is the hard single impact can cause the hammer to bounce on the sear, and can damage a very fine/light trigger job. At least that's the theory; there's disagreement even among top gun plumbers if it really causes problems in the trigger, or reveals them.

None of this has anything to do with the OP's question.

-rvb

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Put me in the "yes it can wear it out" camp. The speed at which this happens depends on the design and the materials. I have/had one gun which had worn enough such that inserting the magazine would close the slide.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    There are plenty of guns, M&Ps most notably, that will 'auto-forward' the slide upon firmly inserting a mag, brand new right out of the box.
    S&W acknowledges this 'feature' on p. 16 of the owners manual.
    "WARNING: DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE UPWARD FORCE
    WHEN INSERTING A LOADED MAGAZINE INTO THE
    PISTOL. EXCESSIVE UPWARD FORCE COULD CAUSE
    THE SLIDE TO MOVE FORWARD, CHAMBERING A ROUND AND
    MAKING THE PISTOL READY TO FIRE."

(having owned a few M&Ps, the level of 'excessive' force required is inserting the mag about as forcefully as a 10-yr old girl might)

I've had brand spankin' new Glocks that did it too.

That's not really a wear thing. It's a design thing.

Or, a "your thumb dragged on the slide stop button as it was being pushed up, causing less than 100% engagement" thing....or a "worn out mag spring not forcing the slide stop all the way up into the slide stop notch" thing.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There are plenty of guns, M&Ps most notably, that will 'auto-forward' the slide upon firmly inserting a mag, brand new right out of the box.
    S&W acknowledges this 'feature' on p. 16 of the owners manual.
    My Bersa was notorious for this from day one. I considered it a "feature".

As for the slide release / slide stop, Ruger Mk I/II/III are notorious for having there slide stops wear out and stop locking the slide open. Never use it as a slide release on this pistol.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    My Bersa was notorious for this from day one. I considered it a "feature".

As for the slide release / slide stop, Ruger Mk I/II/III are notorious for having there slide stops wear out and stop locking the slide open. Never use it as a slide release on this pistol.

Guilty...my Mark III won't always hold the slide back after using the slide release for the first 15k rounds. I need to give Ruger a call.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    If you are talking 1911, I don't think JMB would have put serrations on it so you could push it down to release the slide if that wasn't his intention for it.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Hitting the release lets you get back on target with a solid 2 hand grip faster, sling shotting can be simpler and more reliable. In my opinion. I prefer door number 1 but wouldn't argue with the merits of d2.

Top Bottom