• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    As the title states, I recently sold my S&W model 638 revolver. This may or may not be a good decision but I never carry it now that I got my M&P .40c. My original intent was to get a sub-compact 9mm BUG but now I'm open to more options:

Get a small compact/sub-compact 9mm backup or... GET A RIFLE :ar15:as it's something I dont have (we have 22 rifles). If a rifle, which caliber (308, 300, 30-06, etc..)? A 30-30 lever action would be good as it's probably the best 'tactical rifle' I can afford on a $540 budget, but a bolt action rifle would be fun to play with (I find windage calcs exciting) and double as a hunting rifle for if/when the need comes.

Ideally a rifle to cover as many applications as possible, and the more money I save the better. I don't expressly plan on hunting, maybe for defense for the fall of rome? I know I dont have 50 posts yet unless I start shelling out more rants, but I been doing good on armslist (sold 2 of my guns there already) so I'm not askin for ad's, but asking opinions/advice from the :ingo: community here.

*we currently reload .40 cal and have dies for 357 mag and 44 mag*

dennymac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    La Grange, KY
    now what?

So, you sold your wheel gun? And now you need to know what to replace it with. OK, a rifle would be a good choice. First, decide what you want to do with it. Some are just 'more fun' than others. Whatever you get, choose a caliber that you can afford to shoot, or reload. The lever guns are fun, and some are reasonable. Don't kid yourself. 'tactical' is in the eye of the beholder. A good bolt action rifle can be had for around $250-$350 that would be totally awsome, if you learn to use it. Anything that you get can be useful for something. the .223 os a good caliber, as is the .270, the .308, and the .30-06. Another fine firearm to get would be the M1 Garand through the CMP. If you are not familiar with them, you need to get familiar. They sell firearms, ammo, and parts at decent prices. Well, enough of my soap box ruminations. Best of luck to you in your decision. DennyMac

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Wow, you got rid of a 638? What an awesome gun, and it fits perfect in your pocket. Perfect for the nightstand, or in the fridge, or wherever else you'd like to hide it. :)

gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson
    Have you considered a shotgun? A Remington 870 is a great versatile gun to have with the different barrels and aftermarket parts available. Plus it would more than fit your budget stated. Perfect for everything from home defense to deer hunting. :twocents:

BigWagon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Greentown
    I would second a shotgun. I resisted for quite some time, but am very glad I picked one up. Fun to shoot and very versatlile.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I got me a $200 H&R pardner pump 12ga a few months ago, I do like playing with it at the range but it's only 18.5" version, heavy too, but not sure I want another shotty (although i'm sure it'd be lighter). Been looking at/considering a rifle, found the cheap Remington 770's that many say just replace the scope and you're good to about 500 yards. This brings me to what caliber though (between 308, 300, and 30-06).

*edit: Imma have to stay away from the Garands for a while, atleast til I can afford one in the $675 range it looks like.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you are looking at a bolt gun, consider any caliber other than .223. That round is going to be screwed up for quite some time.

gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson
    I had an H&R once and their not bad for the price, but I wouldn't trust my life with them like I would with my 870. You might check out the reviews on the remington 770 you're thinking about. While I haven't owned one personally I have seen enough bad reviews on them. Most recommend spending the extra cash and getting the 700 or just buying something like a savage axis.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Working with $540?

A single shot 20 gauge for $100-$125 will be nice and light and great for point defense.

A .30-30 in a pawn shop is still under $250 bucks.

So, $375, use the rest for ammo or getting a sling on the weapons and trigger jobs.

Learn to use the weapons you have. Do not fixate on the sword, sharpen the swordsman.

The "best" gun is the one that you have, loaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzXR24J1wgE

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you are looking at a bolt gun, consider any caliber other than .223. That round is going to be screwed up for quite some time.
    Yep, I'm actually shopping around for anyting OTHER than 223. So far, looking at: 30-30, 44mag, 300, 308, and 30-06). In no way do I want to join everyone else on the "wheres all the .223 ammo?!" bandwagon.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I had an H&R once and their not bad for the price, but I wouldn't trust my life with them like I would with my 870. You might check out the reviews on the remington 770 you're thinking about. While I haven't owned one personally I have seen enough bad reviews on them. Most recommend spending the extra cash and getting the 700 or just buying something like a savage axis.
    Yep, been looking at reviews written and on youtube, trying to find more. People anecdotally point to the Savage or Howa's, I'll start looking at those.

Working with $540?

A single shot 20 gauge for $100-$125 will be nice and light and great for point defense.

A .30-30 in a pawn shop is still under $250 bucks.

So, $375, use the rest for ammo or getting a sling on the weapons and trigger jobs.

Learn to use the weapons you have. Do not fixate on the sword, sharpen the swordsman.

The "best" gun is the one that you have, loaded.
    Could get me another shotty, ammo is on the cheap side for now (at least for range), kind of want to get something I don't have for variety. Been looking at the lever actions on the cheap side because I know I've seen a good one at my LGS for $300.

Ty for the help everyone, leaning towards a 30-30 or 44 mag (we got dies) lever action (not crazy about effective range however), or 30-06 bolt. Doing lots of reading right now on reviews @_@

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    You sold the 638 :dunno:

I have 3 firearms that I figured as "needed" a Ruger 10-22 22lr, Rem 870 12ga and a S&W compact wheel gun, 2" barrel or shorter ex: 638
    Everything else is just for fun.

I would recommend aquiring a shotgun and a compact pistol, something you feel comfortable carrying everyday and are proficient with. Then when times are better and the funding is available start collecting the other stuff. :draw:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    IMO Ruger 77/44 sounds like it would fit your needs pretty well. You already have the reloading dies for 44 mag, you like bolt action rifles and they can be found for about 550. I just picked up on this past Sunday and although I have not shot it yet I have played around with it and it seems to be a very well put together rifle. It is deer legal and will take down most game in North America with a well placed shot.

Top Bottom