• ...and so much more!
  • caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Simpler for survival.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDz6lgDiCt8&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Pioneer Couple[/ame]

Got to admit the climate is a little different, but this is what I was referring to in simpler living. No electricity, no pickup etc. :)

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    :yesway: With the proper skills set, desire, dedication and determination anything is possible.

+1 for these courageous Americans :patriot:

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    As I watched that video I think my blood pressure went down a lot! Tranquil and simple. The ironic part is; not too long ago everyone lived like this and it was probably a much simpler life, not tied to getting. Just surviving and living.

As much as this seems enticing I think if there is a way to get some of that back while still retaining some of today's benefits (electricity, running water, a hot shower, and access to the internet) I could go that far and be happy with it.

Just one or two generations ago, when it meant going to grandma's house for Christmas it also meant getting a cold behind in the outhouse. While cold, it still beat watching for hornets in the summer!:):

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

Just one or two generations ago, when it meant going to grandma's house for Christmas it also meant getting a cold behind in the outhouse. While cold, it still beat watching for hornets in the summer!:):

Wasn't that long ago. When I went to visit my grandparents on Mom's side, for a sizeable chunk of my childhood it meant that. Two room shack built from scrap wood, no electric, no running water. At least Mom and Dad made sure the trailer on our farm had plumbing and electric, though the water came from a copperhead infested well. It wasn't the simple life, it was a desperate scratching for survival.

To me, living like that just means poverty. I've been there and done that. No thanks. Mom worked to hard to make sure her kids lived better, and I am doing the same for my kid. We COULD survive like that if we had to, the skills are worthy of having, but won't do it willingly.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    ...When I went to visit my grandparents on Mom's side, for a sizeable chunk of my childhood it meant that....

Same for me, that's what I meant by two generations away. My dad was born in a log cabin, so while he always tried to make it better for us I'm still aware of what we could do it we had to.

It's normal for every parent to want things better for their kids (I'm guilty of that too). I suspect a lot of people who come from simple means may not consider it poverty.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    i have eating food cook off a wood burning stove. but the longest i have gone with no electric in a house is 4 days. ice storm in northern texas. ppl's fish froze in there tanks and some ppl didnt have power for a month. but the wood buring stove way in southern ky. i could give it all up but my motorcycle.(currently in the procese) i dont know extreme poverty i never missed a meal as a kid but i know my parents missed a few. that life sytle is only poverty if you cant get out of it. a guy i worked with didn't in stall a toliet in his grandpas house till 01 or 02 becasue the old man said (Your not supposed to SH** in your house.)

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    I think it would be cool for a few days. It would bring back a whole new appreciation for the stuff we take for granted each day. After those few days I would probably start having withdraws from my shows.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I could and would love it, but how do you pay your property taxes? My father and his wife have just this summer left their house in St Paul MN and moved to the cabin permanently. No running water, outhouse, wood heat, they do have electricity, phone and internet, and use the neighbors shower 3 miles away when needed, have a well with a hand pump........4 wheelers instead of horses.....selling house in the spring. They love it, but do have plans to build an actual modern home there in the upcoming years.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I would like to, but how could one INGO? Sorry but that's the deal breaker!

That would currently be the one stopper for me right now. No INGO. Otherwise I could prob do it pretty well. Although it would be nice to still be able to have a 4x4 truck and the tractors to run the farm. But I could do with less of other things. I don't watch tv anymore since they went to the all digital stuff, I hardly get any channels even with a amplified digital antenna, when I used to have no prob. I really like more primitive camping, so I'm sure I could handle this ok for the most part.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I could and would love it, but how do you pay your property taxes?

There are states with counties that don't have property taxes. Then again, he does have a lot of cattle. I'm sure one bull would pay for the property taxes on that land. I'm sure it also pays for the few things they can't make on their own.

I'm not sure why you people who say it ain't for you couldn't do it. What in your life now is so important that they don't have that you couldn't do without?

And the way they are living, it's not poverty. It's hard work, but it sure beats having to deal with all those ignorant people we have to deal with every day. It beats dealing with crappy drivers and drunks and druggies. It sure beats having to deal with neighbors who want to call the cops on you because you turn your stereo up past level 3.

And it sure beats the hell out of having to pay income tax, sales tax, telephone tax, utilities tax, license plate tax, excise tax, etc etc etc.

I'd take a horse over a car any day, anywhere.

IndyParts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Ktown Indiana
    There are states with counties that don't have property taxes. Then again, he does have a lot of cattle. I'm sure one bull would pay for the property taxes on that land. I'm sure it also pays for the few things they can't make on their own.

I'm not sure why you people who say it ain't for you couldn't do it. What in your life now is so important that they don't have that you couldn't do without?

And the way they are living, it's not poverty. It's hard work, but it sure beats having to deal with all those ignorant people we have to deal with every day. It beats dealing with crappy drivers and drunks and druggies. It sure beats having to deal with neighbors who want to call the cops on you because you turn your stereo up past level 3.

And it sure beats the hell out of having to pay income tax, sales tax, telephone tax, utilities tax, license plate tax, excise tax, etc etc etc.

I'd take a horse over a car any day, anywhere.

I could easily take that lifestyle if all that I wanted out of life is live my life and die with no goals. What do they have to look forward to or work towards.

Yeah, I used up all of the Soap and now I can make some more!! Yipppee!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I could easily take that lifestyle if all that I wanted out of life is live my life and die with no goals. What do they have to look forward to or work towards.

Yeah, I used up all of the Soap and now I can make some more!! Yipppee!

:laugh: Now THAT'S funny!

I mean, I guess it depends on what you want out of life. Sure, I'd like to own a drag strips, a trucking company, a pizza shop, and a bar. But I could easily give all that up to live like that. Or even the way the couple in MO are living. Maybe not in a tipi, but they still have regular jobs and the like.

Still, it really puts a LOT of things into perspective. It shows you how petty most things are and that most things we consider necessities are really just luxuries. It also makes you appreciate your own life and the many blessings that you have.

I :patriot: them for that and I wish more people would watch that video, especially those like us who can watch with an open mind.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    If running out of soap and having to make more were my greatest concern in life.....There would be no more stress and I would likely live a LOT longer. I would be able to enjoy the little things again and be much more appreciative of life, the world, maybe actually enjoy an evening smoke again instead of doing it out of habit or addiction ........Sounds downright tranquil to me. I suspect that is what people like Randy Weaver seek when they drop out of the rat race.

Top Bottom