Could you dq folks at every match for trigger calls ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I understand why they use the word "should" for engaging safety when moving and not engaging targets as not all guns have thumb safety.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I refer to what Coach said, call it if you 100% sure, otherwise a conversation after range is clear is appropriate

I can tell that I have 100's of pictures of shooters reloading and moving and even in those there are times that I look and think I see I finger in there, but then blow it up and it isn't
    It is a tough call, if you are on the back right side especially
    2 RO's helps however what they guy on the left thinks he sees isn't always correct either, this is where I take a lot of pictures from.

For folks that say error on the side of safety I say error on the side of the rules, they are based on safety

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I can tell that I have 100's of pictures of shooters reloading and moving and even in those there are times that I look and think I see I finger in there, but then blow it up and it isn't

Interesting.

I am thinking that if a person got dq'd from what you saw in one of those pictures, they should kick themselves in the butt for not keeping fingers "visibly outside the trigger guard" (8.4.1. , 8.5.1) . Sort of the thing Coach says, to the effect of don't give the r.o. the opportunity to make a bad call in real time.

Depends on what "visibly" is supposed to mean perhaps.

I hear and appreciate all the advice on an r.o. not taking away the fun of shooting if you do not feel sure, but as a shooter I'm thinking that if I live on the 180 or with my finger 0.1" away from a bad spot then I might be begging for problems.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Interesting.

I hear and appreciate all the advice on an r.o. not taking away the fun of shooting if you do not feel sure, but as a shooter I'm thinking that if I live on the 180 or with my finger 0.1" away from a bad spot then I might be begging for problems.

I spent most of my life as a wrestler, wrestling coach or wrestling official. When I coached I never let me guys complain about being called pinned. There were a number of times guys were called pinned and were not. But I made them take the responsibility. I always told them that if they were not on their back a bad pin call could not happen. If you play with fire you are going to get burnt. Keep that finger clearly away and you won't have a problem. It costs no time and it takes things away from the RO and puts you in control. Bad calls in any sport happen when things are close and confused. In USPSA the shooter can control a lot.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    When I coached I never let me guys complain about being called pinned. There were a number of times guys were called pinned and were not. But I made them take the responsibility. I always told them that if they were not on their back a bad pin call could not happen.

Keep wondering about the notion of teaching personal responsibility.

Can't be good for popularity.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Keep wondering about the notion of teaching personal responsibility.

Can't be good for popularity.

It keeps me constantly on probation and the **** list with admin, but it is well received by many parents and students I have. Not all of them but many of them.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    It wasn't always "well received" when my track coach made me run LSD (Long, Slow, Distance) but he made me run longer distances than I thought I could and made sure quitting was not an option.

Running long distances obviously didn't stick with me, but not quitting did.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It wasn't always "well received" when my track coach made me run LSD (Long, Slow, Distance) but he made me run longer distances than I thought I could and made sure quitting was not an option.

Running long distances obviously didn't stick with me, but not quitting did.

I gave up running in early March of 1992. I have the body to prove it. Running is stupid.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I spent most of my life as a wrestler, wrestling coach or wrestling official. When I coached I never let me guys complain about being called pinned. There were a number of times guys were called pinned and were not. But I made them take the responsibility. I always told them that if they were not on their back a bad pin call could not happen. If you play with fire you are going to get burnt. Keep that finger clearly away and you won't have a problem. It costs no time and it takes things away from the RO and puts you in control. Bad calls in any sport happen when things are close and confused. In USPSA the shooter can control a lot.

This completely. Usually applies to the 180 also. Don't cut it so close you make the RO nervous and you won't get "bad" calls. I've issued 1 or 2 finger DQs over the years, and yelled the warning many many times when I was only 99% sure what I was seeing. I'm sure I've let some go, but 100% certain is difficult with the angles and speed involved.

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I gave up running in early March of 1992. I have the body to prove it. Running is stupid.

I think the last time I "ran" without someone chasing me with a knife was in the early 1980s. I am actually more svelte now than then, but I do not correlate that fact with running or not.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I think the last time I "ran" without someone chasing me with a knife was in the early 1980s. I am actually more svelte now than then, but I do not correlate that fact with running or not.

News flash no one mistake you or me for a runner. And who would want that reputation anyway.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    coach, when i wrestled for you back in 98-99, you could still hit a pretty good clip. you caught my ass, and i was not exactly slow at the time.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    coach, when i wrestled for you back in 98-99, you could still hit a pretty good clip. you caught my ass, and i was not exactly slow at the time.

I am good in the short distances but not marathons like 40 yards. Plus that was a long time ago. I quit running regularly in 1992.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'm amazed by RO's starting people in the wrong start position. It's done all over in USPSA.

Hands relaxed at sides doesn't mean gunfighter position, or hand curled around holster or support hand in the middle of your body.

It seems to me to be the most overlooked rule in the book.

Top Bottom