• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    Has anyone ever cut grooves into the last 2 inches of their counter-bored Mosin to act as a permanent muzzle break? I'm not sure of the science involved in the muzzle breaks effect on the bullet, so I didn't know if this is something that was possible.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Are you talking about basically porting it like a shotgun? If mine wasn't nice i would drill a few holes on top. But i've never done it.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Use a mill, don't attempt it with a drill. Plug the bore with a lead slug to keep burrs down.

I saw some vintage Glocks today at the NRA convention that had milled slots to do exactly this.

Really, though, you'd be far better chopping those last 2 inches and threading the muzzle. Ideally, it's done on a lathe, but in a pinch can be done with a file, die, and patience.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    Yes, I should have referenced a shotgun in my original post. I'm assuming the same principals apply, just didn't think it could really be as simple as drilling the holes. I'm assuming the holes should all be symmetrical and perpendicular to the barrel.
    I was initially looking for a 'threading the barrel' alternative for this rifle so I didn't have a break on the end of the barrel.This particular Mosin is one that I wouldn't mind porting. If- WHEN I get a nicer Mosin, I'll likely thread the barrel.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Don't do both, the porting will make the threading that much more difficult and can foul/corride the threads and lock your muzzle device in place. Seriously, unless you have a mill, just thread her.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Mosin Nagant 91/30 Clamp-On Muzzle Brake [MB4A] - $85.00 : Witt Machine
    That's an option for a clamp on muzzle break. Bradis 2 had some of the cheaper brakes but they work also. That could be an option so you don't have to do anything. I'll tell you this. If you want a brake threaded on you will need to remove the barrel which doesn't always like to come off. (i know i tried to take mine off to service it). And then go to someone like AllenM with the brake you want and the barrel stripped down and he will make it right. I've seen to many people thread themselves with a tap set and get it wrong. (seen a few suppressors get destroyed that way). I had him do a bull barrel for me with a flash hider and it came out great. Just another thing to consider.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    +1 on threading in a lathe .doing it by hand you can not get it right ,you are not that precise.

we could call you BUBBA

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    bubba might not have a face if done incorrectly. That's why i just had AllenM do my barrel. I have the tools to do it by hand but don't trust my tolerences

Top Bottom