• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have spotted a couple of CRKT's in the classifieds that I'm interested in. Doing some research, I ran up on this: CRKTStore. If you have a CRKT for sale, I'm not posting this to question your items. I'm only trying to determine if anyone has purchased a fake knife of any brand and how prevalent this is in the knife community? Are there other brands to watch out for?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks, Brad. As many of us are new to knives and do not want to be cheated due to ignorance, I'm just wondering what to watch out for. This is a non-issue with guns and I know buying directly from you and KnifeLady is a non-issue, as well. However, I would hate to know that I've sold someone a fake, thinking it was an authentic brand. So, are there any identifying marks or anything that we can look out for when it comes to knives?

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    i found a counterfeit benchmade nimravus for $18.99. i was going to get it but decided not to. i thought it would kinda defeat the "cool" factor knowing that it was fake. so i bought a real sog seal pup elite instead.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    i found a counterfeit benchmade nimravus for $18.99. i was going to get it but decided not to. i thought it would kinda defeat the "cool" factor knowing that it was fake. so i bought a real sog seal pup elite instead.

I guess price would tell that it's a fake, but I'm more worried about those who tell me something is real and they are taking $50 off. :xmad:

I have seen fake Extrema Ratio knives at the Indy 1500..!! So buyer beware.

I won't have to worry about the 1500 since I only buy from three dealers that I trust. However, if I did ask someone if a knife was real and found out it was a fake, I would have a serious issue with that. :xmad: I wonder if dealers are required to post if they are knowingly selling imitations?

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    Usually if the price is too good to be true, it is a fake.. there are also other identifying marks. It helps to know what you are looking for.. Do research before you buy something you are not sure of..!!

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    Yeah.. I found the chinese web sight for a few knock-offs.. the more you buy the bigger discount. 1 for $25 , 5 for like $15 each... I really hate seeing chinese knock-offs.. its fine if they want to make knives and sell them, but making cheap copies of other peoples knives..pisses me off.!!!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    hahaha i have one of those fake sebenza's. a guy threw it in on blade forums for a trade we made. it's actually a neat little 10 dollar knife, though it is a blatant rip off.

the chinese copies are very real looking and its very hard to tell its a fake version. there are usually minor differences, like the logo, the spacers on them, if its serrated usually they look different. but on some you would have to know the knife inside and out to tell.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    When I was married and living in Kentucky I hung out with some old timers at the local car lot that traded knives and guns a lot. It was a small town and I suppose it was like hangin out at Floyds' Barbershop in Mayberry. Anyway those boys were into knives big time! The only problem is a lot of them were fakes! They would show me two knives that looked EXACTLY the same to me but one was worth $10 and the other $150! I learned to not get into knives without some serious research! I have several nice knives but I just never got into them like I have guns. I wish I knew more about knives though.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    So do the cheap knock offs from china have "Made in China" stamped on them or do they fake the made in US also?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    hahaha i have one of those fake sebenza's. a guy threw it in on blade forums for a trade we made. it's actually a neat little 10 dollar knife, though it is a blatant rip off.

the chinese copies are very real looking and its very hard to tell its a fake version. there are usually minor differences, like the logo, the spacers on them, if its serrated usually they look different. but on some you would have to know the knife inside and out to tell.

Would you mind posting your fake and point the indicators that let you know it's a fake?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The big market for counterfeits seems to be in the tacticals right now while fakes run abundant in traditional knives. Some Civil War bowies and sabers can run into 5 figures and they are often faked so well an expert can have problems id'ing them. Same with rare Case, and Remington knives.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    seems certain models(probably more common or simple to copy) of some brands show up over and over. Some are stamped china or no markings just clear knock offs, others are marked and made to look legit. I agree use your head if it is too good to be true I bet it is. The really sad cases are in collectable or higher end brands as 451 said. You can pay full price and really get skinned. Try to know what a legit one looks like, buy from reputable dealers or persons you know and trust and remember if you dont know enough to recognize a fake consult someone who does.

Top Bottom