• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Ness2k I hope you are joking when you say you have a CCW badge, how have they not banned these yet?

I just cant ponder looking like a cop, oc'ing, and having a fake badge work out very well for you...

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    "Concealed means concealed" is not at all the same as "legal" and I wish people would stop encouraging gun carriers to violate the law. If a city or township has an ordinance against carrying in certain places (such as Indianapolis City Parks), it's a disservice to the asker to just tell them to do it anyway. At least help him understand the ramifications of the decision and possible penalties if he gets caught.

Doesn't this state have full preemption?

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    anybody try the deep fried Pepsi??? I missed out

They had deep fried butter at Elkhart this year (no joke!) I didnt get to try any though, as I didnt attend. Fair rides are sub-par at best, and for $20 I could almost get a Cedar Point ticket. I like animals, but not enough to fight traffic to see them. Besides, my younger sister still shows rabbits, and I have friends with poultry, cows, horses, llamas, etc. Why spend the time/money when you can see it for free? Enough with the run on about my lack of interest in the fair though.

According to the folks at Elkhart, you will be asked to leave. Simple as that. My uncle has done security in the past.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Ness2k I hope you are joking when you say you have a CCW badge, how have they not banned these yet?

I just cant ponder looking like a cop, oc'ing, and having a fake badge work out very well for you...

Not any different if you bought a badge in a childs police play kit, or wore a Geek Squad badge. Oh, and yes, its a real product. I saw them in a catalog recently, and found this far more pathetic link. ccw badges.com - Custom Badge Designs

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Got an answer today from my higher-ups. It's not ILLEGAL to carry. If you are SEEN with a firearm you will be asked to put it in your vehicle. According to them, signs are posted. I haven't been yet---will probably go on Saturday. Like others have said, Concealed means Concealed.

There is nothing that I could find in the Porter County Code that specifically prohibits carrying a weapon at the Porter County Fair.
    Then it isn't illegal. In Indiana EVERYTHING IS LEGAL unless there is an actual law prohibiting it.

That being said, I could find nothing in the Porter County Code that prohibits carrying a firearm in any county public building, such as the courthouse either. I guarantee you will be arrested, not asked to leave if you carry a firearm into the courthouse. I understand that they are two entirely different venues, but they are both properties that are owned by the county, and have signs specifically stating no firearms.
    Carry in county owned buildings is legal unless it is expressly prohibited by code/ordinance. Someone else already covered the courthouse issue, which is expressed.

Everyone has to make their own call, but I would bet that a person found in possession of a firearm at the Porter County Fair, would be detained at the very least, and at worst be charged with unlawful use of a weapon. The bottom line is why chance it. If they do charge you, then you are stuck hiring an attorney. You may be found not guilty at some point, but who needs the hassle.

You'd obviously be wrong as PatriotPride pointed out.

Who needs the hassle of dying because you couldn't defend yourself either? Seriously man, don't be such a submissive ignorant.... person. Sheesh , we're advocating breaking any laws here.

Again, this is why Indiana has some of the crap we do.... attitudes like that.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

No. Some local ordinances are grandfathered, such as Speedway's (unenforced) ordinance against concealed carry:

IC 35-47-11-1
    Applicability of chapter
    Sec. 1. (a) This chapter applies to all units (as defined in IC 36-1-2-23).
    (b) This chapter does not affect the validity of an ordinance adopted before, and in effect on, January 1, 1994.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.13. Amended by P.L.90-2010, SEC.8.
    And local municipalities may still enact ordinances prohibiting carry on property they own or manage, such as Indianapolis' IndyParks (like the Monon Trail):

IC 35-47-11-2
    Regulation of firearms by units other than townships
    Sec. 2. Notwithstanding IC 36-1-3, a unit may not regulate in any manner the ownership, possession, sale, transfer, or transportation of firearms (as defined in IC 35-47-1-5) or ammunition except as follows:
    (1) This chapter does not apply to land, buildings, or other real property owned or administered by a unit, except highways (as defined in IC 8-23-1-23) or public highways (as defined in IC 8-2.1-17-14).
    (2) Notwithstanding the limitation in this section, a unit may use the unit's planning and zoning powers under IC 36-7-4 to prohibit the sale of firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school by a person having a business that did not sell firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school before April 1, 1994.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.13. Amended by P.L.90-2010, SEC.9.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I recently wondered about local restrictions on carrying and so called the City PD and asked for the Public Information Officer. Left a message, when he returned the call he had all the info I wanted. Might try that route.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    No problem. :D Again, it's not illegal, and you will be asked to lock the firearm in your vehicle. I'd just conceal and call it a day. It's one of the few places I'll CC. In my mind, if I KNOW that I will be asked to lock it in my vehicle, why OC and have to take the time to go all the way back to my car to adjust it to CC. That's my .02 anyway.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    UPDATE: There IS a sign posted, although you WILL NOT see it unless you're looking for it. When driving in to the main parking area, there is a sign WAY off to the left that say "alcohol and firearms prohibited". It's not displayed prominently IMO.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    I OC'd at the hendricks county fair without a word said to me by the numerous LEOs there. Only had one give me a second look. He did a double take, turned to his partner on the golfcart and said "Clean gun in a fobus...he ain't here to cause trouble" and then drove off.

Therefor I believe it goes on a case by case situation

Top Bottom