• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I am new to the AR game. Last week I bought a Stag Arms model 3 in 5.56. I finally got a chance to run down to Atterbury to test it out today. After about 40 rounds, I had a case jam in the chamber. The ejector sheared off a part of the heel of the case. I borrowed a clearing rod from one of the other guys there and knocked it out. He left as soon as I cleared it. Third shot after clearing it, it jammed another one the same way.
    The ammo was Independence 5.56 I got from Gander Mountain.
    I wondered if the chamber got dirty and that is why it is jamming.
    BTW, how do you clean the chamber itself?
    Any ideas on the jamming? If it works, I am posting a pic of one of the cases that jammed. 556sheared.jpg

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I am new to the AR game. Last week I bought a Stag Arms model 3 in 5.56. I finally got a chance to run down to Atterbury to test it out today. After about 40 rounds, I had a case jam in the chamber. The ejector sheared off a part of the heel of the case. I borrowed a clearing rod from one of the other guys there and knocked it out. He left as soon as I cleared it. Third shot after clearing it, it jammed another one the same way.
    The ammo was Independence 5.56 I got from Gander Mountain.
    I wondered if the chamber got dirty and that is why it is jamming.
    BTW, how do you clean the chamber itself?
    Any ideas on the jamming? If it works, I am posting a pic of one of the cases that jammed. View attachment 21140

With a chamber brush.... or use any good spray, like Powder Blast, or some other brand...

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Independence is reloaded ammo. Either reload your own, or buy factory ammo is my advice. Until then, I wouldn't worry about the gun being the problem.

EDIT: I might be thinking of a different brand. I was thinking this is funky ammo?

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    The box doesnt say anything about being reloads. It says Manufactured in Israel, imported by Federal.
    Never seen a chamber brush on the shelf. Have to go looking for one.

Matt

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The box doesnt say anything about being reloads. It says Manufactured in Israel, imported by Federal.

Matt

I call shenanigans on the ammo. The cartridge appears to be not sized right for your AR's chamber. I would try different ammo before giving the gun to a smith or sending it back to Stag.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Independence is reloaded ammo. Either reload your own, or buy factory ammo is my advice. Until then, I wouldn't worry about the gun being the problem.

EDIT: I might be thinking of a different brand. I was thinking this is funky ammo?

Yup, Independence is new ammo, loaded in Israel and distributed by ATK, Federal.

Ultramax is reloaded ammo

Tainted Gander Mountain ammo

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The ejector sheared

That was caused by the "extractor." The ejector is the round plunger doodad in the bolt face. It most likely was just bad brass.

What kind of extractor spring setup is it using? Remove the extractor (can push out the pin with the firing pin or bullet tip). Is it just a spring plus rubber insert, or is there an o-ring around the spring? Current trend is to over-spring the extractor which is hard on brass (but not usually THAT hard). Probably sheared when chambering it and the extractor skipped over the rim.

try some different ammo before blaming/changing the gun.

-rvb

Last edited:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    That was caused by the "extractor." The ejector is the round plunger doodad in the bolt face. It most likely was just bad brass.

What kind of extractor spring setup is it using? Remove the extractor (can push out the pin with the firing pin or bullet tip). Is it just a spring plus rubber insert, or is there an o-ring around the spring? Current trend is to over-spring the extractor which is hard on brass (but not usually THAT hard).

-rvb

This.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Actually after thinking about it I forgot that just before I had the jammed case, I ran 10 rounds of UMC .223 through it. Am I correct in thinking that .223 is okay in a 5.56 but not necessarily the other way around? Next outing I will run more of the .223 and I only have about 60 rounds of the Independence left so I will see how the .223 does and shoot up the rest of the Independence at the range while I have something to clear the stuck round with handy.
    Like I said, I am a bit new to the AR world but even I should have caught the extractor/ejector oops. Sometimes you get the wrong word stuck in your head and it even seems right till someone points it out! I will have to check on the extractor spring tomorrow. It's past my bedtime, zzzzzzz******,,.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Don't sweat terminology Nazis. Your 223 is fine in a 5.56 chamber, and I doubt you'll notice any difference at all (except obviously that we hope it works better than the Independence ammo).

Make sure you check your Independence brass for signs of overpressure, like a flattened primer, or especially a bulge at the rear of the case. I looked closely in your pic and did not see the bulge, but this would be a tell tale sign of too much powder. If you see signs of over pressure, don't use the ammo. I've not seen it happen myself, but the books say that signs of over pressure include problems with extraction, and I presume that is mainly due to the bulge (aka "incipient case head separation"). I didn't want to complicate things by bringing this up, but it is worth mentioning. Bottom line is that you should try other ammo before blaming the gun, but if you see bulging or flat primers it is dangerous situation.

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Not trying to be a terminology nazi, just trying to be helpful and figured before I told him to look @ extractor springs, I should make sure he knew what the hell the extractor was... Gheesh.

-rvb

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

Matt

I use a .45acp brush on my chamber. I clean the chamber around 1k rounds or if I think I am having a issue.

TenZero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Like others have said get the chamber good and clean first. If you still have problems it is possible your gun is over gassed and may need a heavier buffer. I would also try some other ammo of known quality.

Top Bottom