• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Went out and walked around the river today with the bow. Shot my first buffalo and sucker today. I cleaned the buff and was gonna eat it tomorrow but i read about some weird disease and i dont need any more problems so i think i'll pass. Scared the :poop: out of a couple when i came walking out of the water with a bow he was literally speechless. Any way here are my fish

Airborne18th

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Geez get a room or aquarium... I don't know of a disease you can get. The state reports what kind of pollutants are in the body of water and put out a fish consumption advisory. The two major themes in eating fish with less pollutants is to eat smaller/younger/less predatory fish and eat fish that are lean. So a twenty pound pike will have more pollutants than a 3 lb pike. Carp, catfish, and salmon are fatty fish that can carry a good amount of pollutants. You can clean away some of the fatty areas to decrease the risk. Looks like a good time.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I guess its called haff disease didn't really understand what it does but one symptom is chest pains and i cant have anymore of that so i'll just play it safe. I can deal with a bit of mercury here and there but more chest pains hell no lol.

Found where the suckers are hangin out got another today while walking around.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Up here there are DNR guide lines for how many a week you can safety eat. You might ask the local DNR.

I agree. bottom feeders are probably the most unsafe but dang they are good if cooked right.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    So if you weren't going to eat them, why go out and shoot more? I don't get it.

Possibly because I've always read there's no such thing as a native carp to the US, all carp were imported, and they're considered invasive/trash fish. Much like regulations require reporting and killing, if possible, any snakeheads found in waterways where they have migrated.

I'd have to do some digging to post references.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Yep they are an invasive species that can be harmful to native species. Our river is absolutely full of them. The suckers were an accident they look exactly like common carp underwater but they are legal so oh well. The buffalo i had every intention of eating until I found out about haff disease I try to avoid any thing that can cause chest pains. the carp end up being fertilizer, hog feed or trap lure so they are indirectly feeding folks and paying bills.

Top Bottom