• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Honest question

A little back round here. I had a few guys over to t he house last Friday morning to shoot. The wife and daughter were both at work so there wasn’t much in the way of refreshments or food for my guests and myself, but any way these guys shoot A LOT and they didn’t save any of their brass.

A couple days ago it was nice outside and I figured it would be a good chance to really learn how to use this metal detector I’ve got really well. So I went out and started picking up brass. This was really cool, like and really easy Easter egg hunt, they were laying every where and right on top. Before I knew it I’d been out there quite a while and my wife had come home from work. I had a card board box full of brass, 30-06, 45’s, 9mm, 40 cal, few 357 sig and piles of 22lr. I was even finding 22’s that had probably been there for years and I hadn’t even used the metal detector yet.

This was really cool so I took it up to show her what I’d found and see when supper would be ready. She wasn’t nearly as impressed as I was but I didn’t mind, I like hamburgers so that was cool.

Since I’d done so well the day before and hadn’t even used the metal detector I decided to try it the next day and started searching for more treasure about noon the next day. I soon found it was harder to find a place around my shooting bench where it didn’t beat than where it did and as I brushed it across the grass I kept seeing more brass. Especially that 06 and 45 acp just shone like diamonds when the after noon sun hit them.

Brilliance strikes again and I got out the string trimmer and started going around the bench in a widening pattern mowing the grass down like a putting green. Man this was awesome, when you use the left edge of the trimmer it throws the shells right out in the short grass where you are trimming and I was finding nearly as many shells as the day before. I’d just rake up a pile of trimmings and run the detector over it. It didn’t usually have any in it but I didn’t want to loose any. Then I could throw the grass on the camp fire and be sure I had all the brass. I had about a quart jar of 22 brass alone by now. That alone has to have some scrap value. Plus the shooting and target area just looked like carpet by now, I could actually FEEL the shells if I stepped on one even through my shoes. Any shells I was finding I’d throw up on the table in one of my gold panning pans and you could get the grass right out of it real easy.

Blowing the grass out of that gold pan was genius. That led to the leaf blower and that was like a magic wand uncovering more and more shells. I bet I had a couple gallon jugs of clean empties to sort. I only sorted out the 22’s as I picked them up. Any way I didn’t notice my wife and daughter had come home from work. When I came in to show them and see what was for supper they were sitting in front of the TV.

When I explained to her what all I’d done and found again that day and how nice the target shooting area was getting with all the effort she grabbed a hand full of those 22 brass and threw them right in the middle of the FLOOR! WTF? I can’t figure out women or what the heck they want. They expect you to be a mind reader or some super hint guy like those TV detectives so rather than do something else wrong with a clue what it was, I tried to ignore it like that happens ever day. I threw the rest of the 22’s on the floor. A few of those were still good to. I thought they may be duds but they hadn’t even been hit at all. I picked those good ones out of the carpet later after she went to bed. Any way I don’t know what they had but I had frozen pizza for supper. That Gizono’s or something like that is my favorite and it’s not too bad!

After eating I got out that box and put all the brass in one spot and started sorting it out on the foot stool thing here using the gold pan to shake it out and separate them. I was just telling her I was finding a lot of 357 sig in there and she picked up her Glock and put to rounds right straight up through the roof. She said a while back when we were watching some thing on TV she thought sig was pretty cool. Do you think that means she WANTS a sig now? I can’t get a frigging word out of her when I ask. That’s not all bad and the porch part of the roof already leaks a little.

Indymonkey to you think I should just do the whole roof now or would it be OK to just goop up those holes with some silicone or tar you think?

Do any of the women here shoot a 357 sig and what model? Does it make any difference to women and are they any harder for a woman to figure out than a Glock? Would the 357 penetrate the roof with one layer of shingles and metal on top of that you think?

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Jack it must be nice being retired....you got all this extra time.....

Get her the Sig then leave for woods for a few days.

Patch the holes with some goop and go clean up that range!

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I sympathize with you Jack. Just the other day I came home from work, cracked a cold beer and flicked on a loud video game. My wife came home maybe five minutes later. The conversation went like this:

Her: <voice muffled by the sounds of video game gunfire>

Me: "What?"

I turned down the game.

Her: "What are you doing?"

Me: "Having a beer, enjoying a videogame and trying to destress a little."

I turned the game back up.

<her voice muffled by gunfire>

"What?"

I turned the game down again.

"I can't talk to you over the sound of that game."

"I know. It helps me destress."

Later on she seemed awful testy. :dunno:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I sympathize with you Jack. Just the other day I came home from work, cracked a cold beer and flicked on a loud video game. My wife came home maybe five minutes later. The conversation went like this:

I turned down the game.

"What?"

Yep...Been there, to the "T". I will say that once I taught her how to play Call of Duty, she became considerably less testy. She felt that once I included her, it helped her not feel like I was excluding her. YMMV. :dunno:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

I turned down the game.

"What?"

I'm hearing this loud and clear.

I could sit in the middle of the kitchen on a chair with my hands folded in my lap and no one would say a word for an hour. Walk down stairs and turn on the TV and "...WOULD... YOU...WHAT..EVERYTHING...GOING...!"

Mute the TV and ask "What is it dear?"

"Never mind it wasn't important."

I saw an awesome Para-ordnace 45 at the gun shop tonight. Wonder if she would really know the difference?

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    Way to go finding the brass and having fun while your at it..well up to the point you went into the house... by the way

:postpics:

pics of bullet holes and shooting area would be neat-o!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Goop it up with silicone. Next time I will pick up my brass before I leave.:)

I'll try that if it leaks. So far it's not a problem. I'll get to it before lady bug season though even if it don't rain.

Man I found brass I probably lost ten years ago down there and still can't use the detector because it just goes off every where and I can see the bare dirt most places now.

I don't mind picking up brass at all. I find all kinds of stuff when I'm motivated to look. I was walking around down there by the targets and dang if I don't have a new one. I found the most awesome piece of steel down there. Some kind of alien stuff, must have fallen off a UFO or something. You can't even make a hole in it. It's shiny and harder than heck. Bet that outer space stuff ain't cheap.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Way to go finding the brass and having fun while your at it..well up to the point you went into the house... by the way

:postpics:

pics of bullet holes and shooting area would be neat-o!

Theres the bench for the longer range behind it the camp fire area and benches, on the other side of that is the moving target range with cans hanging from strings on the tree limbs. The big trees are hostages, don't shoot them.

I fill those 5 gallon buckets with cans and water so they swing better and you get a great splash of water out the other side when you hit one. No doubt about it on a hit or miss. 4 of us were shooting at those and I still have a bucket full left so they aren't as easy to hit when they are moving as you think it's going to be.
    picture.php

These are some of the swinging targets on the longer range. 65 yards from the bench. Those little ones are snuff can size. The bigger ones are head size. I used my welding helmet as sort of a guide for cutting them out.

aTargets86.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Seems like you need a new woman. No refreshments for the men? Puh-leeze.

See, I was think'n that was pretty out of line too. I didn't think it would be unreasonable to toss a few drinks in a cooler and some ice. May be some sandwiches, oat meal creme pies and stuff like that. It's not like I was ask'n her to take off work for it or anything.:dunno: Nope, just Mt Dew up at the house in the fridge and some trail mix.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal

I turned down the game.

"What?"

I just, by choice, turned in Modern Warefare 2 for Crash bandicoot. Too much tension caused by 5 days of online gameplay. :rockwoot:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I tried to pick up my 06 and 357 Sig brass but it went everywhere in that damned grass!! GI M2 is getting hard to come by! I was shooting my Glock 33 and it has a pretty stout snap to it. You, er , SHE can shoot it to try it out if she likes. Did she really shoot holes in the roof? (No Purple?). I was just so amazed at how cool your home and property are that I didn't mind not being offered sammiches. The Mt Dew was good, except for the Diet part! Thanks again for having us!!! BTW, the Army Surplus store near you is pretty cool too! :yesway:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I tried to pick up my 06 and 357 Sig brass but it went everywhere in that damned grass!! GI M2 is getting hard to come by! I was shooting my Glock 33 and it has a pretty stout snap to it. You, er , SHE can shoot it to try it out if she likes. Did she really shoot holes in the roof? (No Purple?). I was just so amazed at how cool your home and property are that I didn't mind not being offered sammiches. The Mt Dew was good, except for the Diet part! Thanks again for having us!!! BTW, the Army Surplus store near you is pretty cool too! :yesway:

She informed me it was raining this morning before she left for work. Oh you can leave all that 06 you want. I was gonna start mowing it down short but if yer gonna pick 'em up I'll have to leave it long and mow it short after ya'll leave. :laugh:

Top Bottom