• ...and so much more!
  • ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    <snip?
    Form 5's to individuals DO require prints, but do NOT require CLEO sign-off as was earlier stated.
    <snip>

I may be wrong and I just called the Branch and left a message with Janet, but a form 5 still has section 17 and according to 2f there is no exception except for the usual manufacturer, importer etc...

That would be extra handy as I have several form 5s to do yet...
    This letter from the ATF states it must be filled out completely.

ATF Open Letter to Any Person Submitting ATF Form 4 or Form 5

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I may be wrong and I just called the Branch and left a message with Janet, but a form 5 still has section 17 and according to 2f there is no exception except for the usual manufacturer, importer etc...

That would be extra handy as I have several form 5s to do yet...
    This letter from the ATF states it must be filled out completely.

ATF Open Letter to Any Person Submitting ATF Form 4 or Form 5

I was just going off what I read on the internets before and what is in the NFA Handbook, which I've heard to be fraught with errors. I could be wrong as well. Please post what you hear back from the NFA Branch.

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    I was just going off what I read on the internets before and what is in the NFA Handbook, which I've heard to be fraught with errors. I could be wrong as well. Please post what you hear back from the NFA Branch.

Me too...and what you said about the handbook is listed below. Odd that I have found two pieces of info concerning the same thing with, what as I see, conflicting info. I will post when the lady calls me back. Hopefully it doesn't take as long as my last form 4.

9.5.3.1 Distributions to heirs.​
    Although these distributions are not treated as “transfers” for
    purposes of the NFA, Form 5 must be filed by an executor or administrator to register a firearm
    to a lawful heir and the form must be approved by ATF prior to distribution to the heir. The
    form should be filed as soon as possible. However, ATF will allow a reasonable time to arrange
    for the transfer. This generally should be done before probate is closed. When a firearm is being
    transferred to an
    individual heir, his or her fingerprints on FBI Forms FD-258 must accompany
    the transfer application. The application will be denied if the heir’s receipt or possession of the
    firearm would violate Federal, State, or local law. The law enforcement certification on the form
    need not be completed. The form should also be accompanied by documentation showing the
    executor’s or administrator’s authority to distribute the firearm as well as the heir’s entitlement
    to the firearm. Distributions to heirs should not be made until Forms 5 are approved. Executors
    and administrators are not required to have estate firearms registered to them prior to distribution

to lawful heirs.

Top Bottom