• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    This decision could make grown machine gun owners cry. Can you imagine the loss in value. Last year you bought a m16 for $18000 and told yourself it was a good deal and investment an now it's worth maybe $1500.

Oh well I guess it's just like any other investment. Got to know when to buy and sell.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    This decision could make grown machine gun owners cry. Can you imagine the loss in value. Last year you bought a m16 for $18000 and told yourself it was a good deal and investment an now it's worth maybe $1500.

Oh well I guess it's just like any other investment. Got to know when to buy and sell.

Very true, but I will gladly take the loss just so I can own some other truly wonderful things that are otherwise completely out of my price range. If taking the loss is going to break your finances, you probably shouldn't be in the full-auto game in the first place. That said, I can see how a few people who own hundreds of guns would be upset at the loss in value, especially if they've put all of their investment eggs in one basket (transferables). I guess that's the difference between the investor who owns 20 Macs, 30 HKs, and a couple of big belt-feds, but who never shoots them vs. someone like me and the other NFA enthusiasts on INGO.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012

Most machine gun owners understand that at any moment the law can change (constitutionally or not) and either make new ones legal therefore making owned machine guns worth little more than a non machine gun or be banned all together. Most would gladly see the M16 they have valued at $15,000 reduced to $1000 if it means they can now purchase any new modern machine gun for the price of the gun and a $200 stamp.

On the other hand if it happens, they will either be hiring a lot of extra ATF employees to handle the massive paperwork increase to process massive amounts of new transfers, or the wait time to have that brand new machine gun will exceed your lifetime. It is currently about a year wait from some I have read about to get the paperwork back after sending it in before you can even take possession of the machine gun.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    If you preferentially collect guns that you refuse to shoot, in my book, you're not a gun collector. You're a gun hoarder.

Wine is meant to be drunk. Cars are meant to be driven. Guns are meant to be fired.
    Exactly, Cath. Which is why I don't buy or own any 'safe queens'.

If ya 'speculate' on guns and lose, well, 'shoulda thunk better'. Same with gold, silver, or whatever. No tears accepted.

Personally, I don't care if some law-abiding citizen owns a MG, SMG, LAAW, M1 Abrams, or an Apache. I only care what they do with it. Same with handguns, shotguns, and rifles.

Criminals, you're SOL. Never gettin' me to agree to that, regardless of liberal arguments to the contrary. You've already proven you can't behave in polite society. Don't care if you're Tim Allen, whom I both like and admire.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    If you preferentially collect guns that you refuse to shoot, in my book, you're not a gun collector. You're a gun hoarder.

Wine is meant to be drunk. Cars are meant to be driven. Guns are meant to be fired.
    I will say when I moved back here after a military tour I was a bit upset with Indiana for passing a new law at the time banning shooting in automatic mode at DNR ranges. I had a good one close that I was really looking forward to using, and they passed the law just before I moved back here. I do understand some who own the machine guns have a hard time finding places that allow you to shoot them. Some ranges don't even allow rifle ammo, and even if you explain that your rifle shoots pistol bullets they simply don't care. I belong to a large shooting club that forbids use of rifles at the pistol range even in pistol caliber and it's the same outdoor berm, so you set up a target a few yards out on the rifle range to practice a bit of home defense tactics with a rifle and they aren't nuts about that either. Hey, they can't have it both ways, but that's a whole other topic.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The Hughs amendment shut off what had become a growing industry where guns were imported, stripped and then reassembled to newly manufactured receivers. Quality varied, some guys like Doug Offinger were artists with Browning belt fed guns. There was a definite difference in price between these guns and older original ones registered in 1968 back in the early 80s. In many cases it was the only way to obtain registered FA models like the HK MP5 which weren't available before 68.

Top Bottom