Coveleski Stadium in SB...Carry or no carry???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    I go to baseball games pretty regularly down at "The Cove" with the family during the summer. I'm wondering if SEA 292 makes it ok to carry there without issue? The stadium is owned by the city and funded by taxpayer money. The team that plays there is owned by an individual. I'm pretty sure on the back of ticket stubs it has the usual crap about no firearms...blah blah blah. What happens if I'm OC there and they ask me to leave? Is it another Titanium Frost moment or am I out the door for fear of facing a trespass charge?
    When I read a recent article about the new owner making improvements to the Silver Hawks experience, it mentioned how the city owns the stadium and this new gentleman owns the team, and a 292 buzzer sounded in my head. Am I incorrect in thinking I am ok to carry there without issue or am I just falling victim to wishful thinking on being able to protect myself and family wherever we go?

Here is the article that got me thinking...
    New owner pitches his vision for Silver Hawks - wsbt.com

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Group event? What game are we going to? :D

On a serious note: You might want to find out if the Silverhawks lease the stadium from the city. I'm not sure if SB 292 addresses the issue of a city leasing land or not (you may want to ask Guy). I know in Plymouth, they have the Blueberry Festival every Labor Day weekend. The Blueberry Festival Committee leases the city park for the event, and posts "no weapons" signs at every entrance. I once asked if they could do that, seeing that it is a city owned property. The answer that I received was that since the committee leased the city park, it was no longer considered city property, but was now Private property. Private property owners can make whatever rule they want. So, if the Silverhawks lease the stadium from the city (which is likely), it may fall under private property rules.

Once again, IANAL, and I don't know if SB 292 applies to city property that is leased to a private business.

Last edited:

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    Oh, and I have carried at the Cove several times. I just concealed.

(and YES, I felt dirty afterwards)

Me too...I just don't feel right concealing. It does give a dirty feeling afterwards. We will have to figure a night this summer to take the families there and enjoy a ballgame. It sounds like the new owner is planning on doing even more family friendly things this year. I just hope they keep the philly cheese steak nachos....THOSE ARE UNREAL!!!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Group event? What game are we going to? :D

On a serious note: You might want to find out if the Silverhawks lease the stadium from the city. I'm not sure if SB 292 addresses the issue of a city leasing land or not (you may want to ask Guy). I know in Plymouth, they have the Blueberry Festival every Labor Day weekend. The Blueberry Festival Committee leases the city park for the event, and posts "no weapons" signs at every entrance. I once asked if they could do that, seeing that it is a city owned property. The answer that I received was that since the committee leased the city park, it was no longer considered city property, but was now Private property. Private property owners can make whatever rule they want. So, if the Silverhawks lease the stadium from the city (which is likely), it may fall under private property rules.

Once again, IANAL, and I don't know if SB 292 applies to city property that is leased to a private business.

SB 292 DOES address leased property, and basically states that the lessee can make their own rules. This was done for the Colts. Without this provision, they would not be allowed to prohibit firearms at Lucas Oil. Basically, if the property is leased by a private party, they are free to make their own rules, and you can still be ejected for not complying, with trespass charges to follow if you resist.

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The city owns the stadium. The company that owns the Silver Hawks leases the stadium from the city. Therefore, yes, I believe the same rule that applies to the Colts applies there.

In the past there have been "no firearms" signs at the gates, but you pretty much have to be looking for them to see them. I am fairly certain that if you are open carrying there you will get attention from a certain police officer who is also on the city council. I am just as certain that if you conceal, and are otherwise well behaved, you won't have any trouble.

Top Bottom