Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    But it's not a Winchester. :)

The current Winchester 1873s aren't real Winchesters . Made in Japan by Miroku ;)

The Rossi 92s have been pretty good in my experience but mine have been 357s or 44s. The 92 has that " old west look" as well. Marlin , esp. the JM barrel stamped guns from years past were great guns but kind of lack that really old fashioned look with their ramped sights and rubber butt pads. Their Cowboy models w/ oct barrels and no ramp sights are really nice, look good but are hard to find and when found cost as much as an Uberti.
    If ammo cost means anything to you, esp. if you're not a reloader you might want to consider a 357 cal gun. These can also shoot 38sp cartridges at about half the cost of factory loaded 45 Colt .
    It just depends what features are important to you. You need to visit shops that sell a variety of levers and handle them. If you're up for a little road trip Whittaker's has a multitude of lever guns by most, if not all the makers mentioned in this thread. Uberti, Marlin, Winchester, and Rossi are well stocked there and the prices are usually very competitive .
    They currently have the Rossi trapper rifles in 45 Colt and 357 mag NIB for $369.99 + tax. Click the link below, then on " Special" on the menu on left of page.

Whittaker Guns

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have never jumped on the Henry Rifle Bandwagon but......Someone came in and sold their Henry Big Boy in .45 long colt and I am impressed...The only Henry's I had seen had some plastic parts (the .22 version) and that didn't set well with me (in a lever gun) so I kind of never gave the Big Boys much thought until this one came in...One of my regulars is a Henry fan and he told me there is no plastic in the Big Boy's and I have got to say that thing is smooth as silk and feels like a rifle should......They are really a beautiful weapon.....

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    go with the new Japanese Winchester 1873. Best deal on the market and i know it is a little more than you are talking about but it is a great gun.'

Fantix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Lawrence Co
    Is it against the rules to resurrect my own thread?? After doing some research, I ended up getting a Rossi M92 in .45 Long Colt. Thanks for the help everyone. I told my girlfriend that I got her a gift for Christmas that we both can use. It driving her nuts trying to guess. She has tried to trick me a few times into telling her what I bought. I can't wait to see the look on her face! :rockwoot:

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    To heck with the rules! If I see "Cowboy Gun" in the title, I'll bite! Congrats! Now you need a brace of pistols and a shotgun for some Cowboy Action Shooting!

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    You will not regret the purchase. Did you go with the rifle or the carbine? I have one of the rifles in .45 Colt, here's a photo.

Rossi-1892-1-Web_zps61197c7e.jpg

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Good choice! I love my Rossi .357 and .45 Colts lever guns. The .357 is the 16" barrel large loop for just plain fun and plinking. I cast and reload so .38's are cheaper than 22lr for plinking. The .45 was my dad's and now my son's. It is the 20" barrel and we have cast and loaded some plinkers and nasty thumpers for fun. He wants to use it for deer hunting sometime, it should be perfect for that, case full of 2400 and big flat nosed 300 grain chunk of soft lead should do the trick on Bambi.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Lever guns are trouble. Real trouble. One turns in to 2 and so on :-) I have two Henry's. Big Boy 44mag and a 45-70. Looking for a Marlin 1895 Cowboy. Way to much fun to shoot! Congrats on the purchase. Hope the lil lady loves it. And as mention you gotta have a few wheel guns. I have 2 Black Hawk 357's one blue that is a convertible(9MM) And a Stainless Steel. I have a few other wheel guns but those are the SA's. Have fun!!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Is it against the rules to resurrect my own thread?? After doing some research, I ended up getting a Rossi M92 in .45 Long Colt. Thanks for the help everyone. I told my girlfriend that I got her a gift for Christmas that we both can use. It driving her nuts trying to guess. She has tried to trick me a few times into telling her what I bought. I can't wait to see the look on her face! :rockwoot:

Here is an idea, take her to the range, and let her shoot it, then clean it, and then wrap it for Christmas .....

Top Bottom