• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    I have used iron sites and red dot, but not simultaneously. What is the trick, if any, to finding the right height riser for a red dot so I can take advantage of cowitnessed sites? I am running a flat top AR with back up iron sites.

If this has been answered in the past I apologize and ask that you point me to the thread. My search of the forum did not provide an answer.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Go to the range and zero your RDS to 25 yards to start out. Then when your on paper and on the bull take it on out to 50-100.

You will never get proper accuracy from your rifle using a RDS by trying to visually co-witness this type of sight.

TK

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Turn Key, right now the red dot is not at the same level as the iron sites. How do I determine what size riser I need?

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Simple TruGlo 30 mm red dot we received for Christmas. Works well, so I thought it would be interesting to see what co witnessing was all about.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The TriGlo is not the right height to co-witness. It's too low, so you'll need a riser or set of risers. Unfortunately, I don't recall how high.

Best way - buy a red dot sight specifically for the AR platform. The good ones are setup for an absolute or lower 1/3 co-witness and will say so.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    The TruGlo is not the right height to co-witness. It's too low, so you'll need a riser or set of risers. Unfortunately, I don't recall how high.

Best way - buy a red dot sight specifically for the AR platform. The good ones are setup for an absolute or lower 1/3 co-witness and will say so.

;)

Top Bottom