• Which caliber for coyotes?

• Total voters

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I have been contemplating the same question. I am going to do my first custom AR build with precision type varminting in mind. I’ve been reading a lot and always follow Phylo’s builds for insight/ideas.

The Valkyrie is very intriguing. 6mm Hager is intriguing. Currently I am not a reload-er. So, it would be nice to be able to buy match grade ammo right off the shelf/interwebs.

My bolt gun is a 204 and for the most part I am happy with its performance. It would be nice to be able to shoot a heavier grain bullet. In a perfect world, I suppose the 22-250 would be exactly what I am looking for, but since we are talking AR builds, it’s a no go.

243 WSSM fits the AR 15 platform.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    How large is the thermal pack you're using for target practice?
    Instead, could you use something like hard-boiled eggs for targets?
    You could reheat them before you leave for the range, then throw them in a cooler for the trip.
    It would make a small target, wouldn't get overly hot, and it's bio-degradable so there's no clean-up.

You're current .223 set-up is more than capable of taking coyotes out past 400 yards. Now you just need to train you to shoot that far.
    We had to qualify with the 5.56 round at 500m with open sights.
    Those were much younger eyes, but it can be done.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    How large is the thermal pack you're using for target practice?
    Instead, could you use something like hard-boiled eggs for targets?
    You could reheat them before you leave for the range, then throw them in a cooler for the trip.
    It would make a small target, wouldn't get overly hot, and it's bio-degradable so there's no clean-up.

You're current .223 set-up is more than capable of taking coyotes out past 400 yards. Now you just need to train you to shoot that far.
    We had to qualify with the 5.56 round at 500m with open sights.
    Those were much younger eyes, but it can be done.

2x4? Typical hot hands size. It works fine when it's warmer. When it's cold, it heats a larger area. I've actually got some real thermal targets coming so that will help.

The biggest issue that I have to learn is ranging with a thermal scope. That's really the major hang up.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    2x4? Typical hot hands size. It works fine when it's warmer. When it's cold, it heats a larger area. I've actually got some real thermal targets coming so that will help.

The biggest issue that I have to learn is ranging with a thermal scope. That's really the major hang up.

Baby steps...

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    After looking at the ballistics and also ammo costs (Wolf steel case @ .$24 for plinking and Hornady Black <$1). I assembled 2 Grendel AR's. Haven't seen anything for AR-15's that compare. Both AR's are completed but haven't had a chance to fire yet. The Grendel sure sounds like the ideal Yote caliber for the AR-5 platform.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Had to drop one Tuesday morning. About 90 yards caught him right behind the left should with a 50gr .223 out of the 16” ar. Dropped like a sack of potatoes and never moved again.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I voted bacon because there was no option for All Of The Above. Do a search for Blaine Eddy. Perhaps one of the best, if not THE best coyote hunter ever. Made a living doing it for a long time. Another guy to check is Dave Affleck. He is a yote killing machine. Both of them are Utah natives. Both of them have talked at length about the rifles they use. See this as well About Coyotestuff ? Coyote Stuff

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Rookie, at what range is your rifle sighted in? Changing your zero just might solve your problem with ease.

If you are only shooting out to 175-200 yard, a 60 yard zero might just get you a long enough point blank range that you don’t need to worry about rangefinding. Consider this chart (I just randomly googled one, but it illustrates what I’m trying to say.) Zerobulletpaths.jpg
    You could run a 60 or 70 yard zero, and only have a couple inches’ rise above line-of-sight around 130 yards, and be dead on at 200. Thus you stretch the range of your existing coyote rifle without needing fancy thermal rangefinding gear or hours of practice.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I am finishing up building up a 20" AR for coyotes and groundhogs. It shoots Black Hills 5.56 77 gr. TMK pretty well, but I have some Nosler 5.56 77 gr. OTM and some 69 grain loads I want to try out in it. There are so many options in .223 and 5.56 out there that it makes no sense for me to switch to another caliber. I am a right handed guy, so a bolt gun in .223/5.56 that shoots the 80 grain loads may be in my future as well.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    50 yard zero.
    Yeah I had to think about that and then rembered that is how I sight my 9mm PCC to 100, I zero it to 25 and it is like a broken clock which is right twice a day. This is due to bullet arc. I have my 223 bolt gun zeroed to 150 yards which is likely my typical shot in the fields in my area. I think Ruger sells a left handed bolt guns in 223 and some of them take AR mags.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    Yeah I had to think about that and then rembered that is how I sight my 9mm PCC to 100, I zero it to 25 and it is like a broken clock which is right twice a day. This is due to bullet arc. I have my 223 bolt gun zeroed to 150 yards which is likely my typical shot in the fields in my area. I think Ruger sells a left handed bolt guns in 223 and some of them take AR mags.
    Opps my bad, their lefty is rotary mag only.

I look forward to hearing about some of your hunts. I am seeing more dogie movement now that the deer hunters are out of the fields and broiling their new back straps.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    They make factory ammo in a 60 grain nosler bullet, or you can load it however you prefer.

http://www.federalpremium.com/224-valkyrie/

You better be better at reading the wind than I am trying to shoot much distance with a 30 grain bullet. Flat is nice, but ill take more drop, and less wind any day of the week.
    If it is a dedicated thermal gun, I have generally found that at night there's either (usually) no wind or (rarely) so much wind you shouldn't be shooting.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    So, I've decided I'm going to stay with .223 for at least another year. However, I still plan to spend the summer working up the best round. I've got a friend that is willing to load for me, but this brings me to my question.

Is it possible to buy a low number of bullets? I'd like to try a bunch of different grains, types, etc, but I don't want to buy 100 of each type just to try. I'm thinking 20 would do. Can I do this?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So, I've decided I'm going to stay with .223 for at least another year. However, I still plan to spend the summer working up the best round. I've got a friend that is willing to load for me, but this brings me to my question.

Is it possible to buy a low number of bullets? I'd like to try a bunch of different grains, types, etc, but I don't want to buy 100 of each type just to try. I'm thinking 20 would do. Can I do this?

100 is about the minimum. It will take that to fully test a bullet in a specific gun. FYI, I reload a lot, and there is no one in this world I trust enough to shoot their reload's.

Top Bottom