• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Got this one while deer hunting last Sunday morning.

106 yards with the 458 SOCOM. Easy shot.

My son-in-law got his buddy when he went by his stand about 10 minutes later.

photo.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    For you guys who shoot 'em at night, do you use lights or night vision or a combination?
    Night vision is a true game-changer for any night-time hunting.

Using lights they have to be within range of your light, your light has to be pointed at them, AND they have to be looking at you to get the glow of their eyes (unless they are really close and you can actually see their body in the light). Thats a lot of things that have to happen together just to even know if there is a coyote out there. With night-vision you don't even have shine the light, just look around. It may not be as much of a benefit in southern IN where you can't see very far anyways but we coyote hunt the plains of northern IN and you can see for over a mile in many cases. NVG's really shine in this setting.

We went out for the first time with NVGs last weekend. Despite being a bunch of newbie coyote hunters that blew it on 2 different sets where we had coyotes coming in (we learned some important lessons though) the one resounding thing we learned was that hunting them with NVGs is a complete game-changer. On the first set we never would have even known we had coyotes in the field within 5 minutes if we didn't have NVGs. Those coyotes circled down-wind of us just out of range, just over a rise in the field for another 20 minutes. W/o the NVG we would have never known they were out there. With NVGs we could see them from a long way off...

Next thing on my purchase list is a nice night-vision scope... unfortunately that is going to run me into the $4k-5k price-range so I'm going to have to save up.

Regarding coyote populations. For the last decade my dad's farm is NE IN has been mostly coyote free. This past weekend we pulled in 4 coyotes on 2 sets within 3/4 mile of eachother. We're 99% certain the 2nd pair was not the same pair from the first set.

ETA, lessons we learned from the mistakes we made. #1 You MUST put your e-caller upwind of you if you want to greatly increase your odds of getting a 'yote in range. In every instance the first thing they did was circle about 100-150 yds downwind of the source of the call. Had we been set up 100 yds down-wind of the call they would have literally ran smack dab into us on the first set and I'm sure they would have been dead 'yotes. #2 Be patient. Coyotes can hear from a LONG way away and it may take them a while to get there. Our 2nd set we only stuck tight for about 30-40 minutes and on our way out we bumped 2 coyotes that were making a bee-line for the area we had just finished calling in. We thought we were in the clear because we could see for about 1 mile in all directions and didn't see anything making its way toward us. We were wrong.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the responses, guys!

I want to get night vision, but like many, the cost for good gear is high. I think coyote hunting would be a great way to learn how to actually use it in a practical way, though.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Thanks for the responses, guys!

I want to get night vision, but like many, the cost for good gear is high. I think coyote hunting would be a great way to learn how to actually use it in a practical way, though.
    I know it sounds pretty pricey at $3k per pop on a PVS14 but I wouldn't go without it now that I have it. I've had many "bump in the night" incidents that I've checked out without indicating anything is amiss by turning lights on etc. Turned out to just be wind, or fireworks in the distance, but if it was an attempted break-in, I could assess the situation, call 911, prepare myself for self-defense, and the person wouldn't have any idea they had been detected.

That's just one use...

Another really cool one I found was meteor showers... if you like to watch meteor showers, you gotta do it with night vision on. You'll see all the little ones that aren't bright enough to see otherwise. Of course it will all be in a green "hue" due to the phosphor screen, but still pretty cool. I've seen more meteors/shooting stars in the 4 months I've had my NVGs than I've ever seen before.

BuckSlayer86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    nice yote! I went out last night didn't do any good I think it was because the front that came threw! Im going to go out to try again this week!!! Hopefully it goes good!!!What calls do you guys use?

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton

Using lights they have to be within range of your light, your light has to be pointed at them, AND they have to be looking at you to get the glow of their eyes (unless they are really close and you can actually see their body in the light). Thats a lot of things that have to happen together just to even know if there is a coyote out there. With night-vision you don't even have shine the light, just look around. It may not be as much of a benefit in southern IN where you can't see very far anyways but we coyote hunt the plains of northern IN and you can see for over a mile in many cases. NVG's really shine in this setting.

We went out for the first time with NVGs last weekend. Despite being a bunch of newbie coyote hunters that blew it on 2 different sets where we had coyotes coming in (we learned some important lessons though) the one resounding thing we learned was that hunting them with NVGs is a complete game-changer. On the first set we never would have even known we had coyotes in the field within 5 minutes if we didn't have NVGs. Those coyotes circled down-wind of us just out of range, just over a rise in the field for another 20 minutes. W/o the NVG we would have never known they were out there. With NVGs we could see them from a long way off...

Next thing on my purchase list is a nice night-vision scope... unfortunately that is going to run me into the $4k-5k price-range so I'm going to have to save up.

Regarding coyote populations. For the last decade my dad's farm is NE IN has been mostly coyote free. This past weekend we pulled in 4 coyotes on 2 sets within 3/4 mile of eachother. We're 99% certain the 2nd pair was not the same pair from the first set.

ETA, lessons we learned from the mistakes we made. #1 You MUST put your e-caller upwind of you if you want to greatly increase your odds of getting a 'yote in range. In every instance the first thing they did was circle about 100-150 yds downwind of the source of the call. Had we been set up 100 yds down-wind of the call they would have literally ran smack dab into us on the first set and I'm sure they would have been dead 'yotes. #2 Be patient. Coyotes can hear from a LONG way away and it may take them a while to get there. Our 2nd set we only stuck tight for about 30-40 minutes and on our way out we bumped 2 coyotes that were making a bee-line for the area we had just finished calling in. We thought we were in the clear because we could see for about 1 mile in all directions and didn't see anything making its way toward us. We were wrong.

A lot of great info here and very similar to my experiences. iMO, a daytime "game changer" is hunting/calling from an elevated position (ie a permanent deer stand or climber) in thicker cover. I see lots of tv shows where people set up on edges of fields and wood lots (which works), however in my experience a yote is a lot more "care free" when coming to a call through cover opposed to completely exposing them self across an open lot or field. Anyways, just my experience and thought it might be helpful to some.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    I've been seriously thinking about trying coyote hunting. Been reading up on the subject including electronic calls, & baiting. Well this morning at 3:25 there were 3-4 yotes barking & carrying on down be the creek right outside my bedroom window.I would estimate they were 30-40 yards away. All I have is a 22 rifle, kinda think I need a larger caliber. Does anyone have an idea on a minimum caliber ?

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    .22 will do the trick on coyotes with no problem. Might take more than one shot,
    but not a problem to take them down. When I was a kid in texas and they had a
    bounty on them, my high school buddies and I would all take our .22's out and
    try calling them in after school and we probably took down more than 100 over
    a couple year period. We also used .222 rem magnums (almost the same as a
    .223), .22 Hornets, .220 swift's, and .22-250's.

Corbinator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Oh the fun I have had over the years killing yotes ! I like using my 7mm mag (overkill I know) but man is it fun. I have even killed a few with a bow. I NEVER let one walk no matter what !

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

We saw night vision scope at Ft. Wayne gunshow, 1700.00 an 750.00 for two types of night vision scopes.....got me thinking about this too.....just never had any luck over the yrs. calling them in during the day.

michaelw2608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    We saw night vision scope at Ft. Wayne gunshow, 1700.00 an 750.00 for two types of night vision scopes.....got me thinking about this too.....just never had any luck over the yrs. calling them in during the day.

I've never had any luck over the years calling them in anytime of day ha.

To be fair, I never took it real seriously. Was always just one of those I'm bored tonight type of things.

Top Bottom