• ...and so much more!
  • jswift

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Grant County
    Hello all,
    I am wanting to get into coyote hunting and maybe some light target shooting. I am looking for a .223 of some sort. I would really like a semi auto. But I dont want to break the bank, budget is key. What do you all think and from where? Thanks.

Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    You could always jump into the ar platform and it is full of neverending parts and gun configurations. Might not be in your budget but always an option.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    You could always jump into the ar platform and it is full of neverending parts and gun configurations. Might not be in your budget but always an option.
    That is what I was thinking, maybe a Spikes, but I didn't want to suggest getting bit by the AR bug if it was not in his budget.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Go with the H&R Handi Rifle or if your budget is bigger the T/C Contender or Encore. After the first shot most of the rest will just be chasing the coyote anyway. Make the first one count.

jswift

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Grant County
    I would love to have a AR or a something along that line. But I think right now, a couple to few hundred bucks for the gun and a couple hundered for scope/mounts/rings, etc. would be about right.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    You might want to take a look at a Saiga in 223. You can pick up a stock rifle for less than $400 then convert it (if you want something more AKish) as your finances allow. I have a 223 and a 7.62x39 and both are plenty accurate.

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Hello all,
    I am wanting to get into coyote hunting and maybe some light target shooting. I am looking for a .223 of some sort. I would really like a semi auto. But I dont want to break the bank, budget is key. What do you all think and from where? Thanks.

For coyotes and targets a bolt gun or single shot is more in your budget if it was me I would look for a howa,or Stevens 200 or savage other bolt gun in this price range you will get more for your $$$$ rather than buying a more expensive entry level AR.like stated above you need to make your first shot count in the yote game.:twocents:Good luck

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    Another vote for savage/stevens. They have several good shooting bolt action rifles that are priced right and several come as a combo with scope. The scopes are not the best but they will get you shooting. Savage with the accutrigger are a good rifle for the money.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Look around for a used Savage bolt gun. You can usually find them at a reasonable price and a lot of the times they come with scope already mounted. :twocents:

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I use a single shot 44 mag with scope. Son in law uses a bolt 223 with scope, don't remember brands. Both kill 'em dead. Find something good, find the ammo it likes, practice and enjoy!

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    I would love to have a AR or a something along that line. But I think right now, a couple to few hundred bucks for the gun and a couple hundered for scope/mounts/rings, etc. would be about right.

think about a Ruger mini 14, very reliable :popcorn:

Travis Daniel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    I would recommend a H&R single shot or some other bolt action like a stevens or something. Like it was stated earlier Make Your First Shot Count as it will probably be the only one you get.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I can get a Savage Edge package for around $400. Comes mounted with a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40. Or you could buy the rifle itself, and add your own scope. I picked up a Bushnell Banner 4x12x40 for $135, and Buriis rings for $30. If you wanted to later, you could always get an aftermarket trigger. For the money, in my opinion, it's hard to beat a Savage.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    The Stevens line from savage is a good choice. Add a Mueller, Redfield, Pentax, etc. scope and your all set

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I have shot recently 2 of the savage edge/axis in 22-250 and both performed wonderfully. they've gone up a bit in price since they changed the name but are great shooters! If you can get past the long, sticky recoil pad they're great.

Top Bottom