• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • typhoon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    whats your fav. gun to hunt coyote with? i have a ruger77 in 223. thats a tack driver. just seeing what everyone else likes

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    whats your fav. gun to hunt coyote with? i have a ruger77 in 223. thats a tack driver. just seeing what everyone else likes

I just obtained a brand new Howa 1500 in .204 Ruger that I would just LOVE to take a few yotes with. I just need to find the property (and permission) to hunt.
    Anyone overwhelmed with coyotes on their property, and would like help ridding yourself of them, PLEASE pm me!

Last edited:

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I have a Rem 700 in .308 as well as a BM .450 that I would like to take a yote or two with. However, I would like to pick up a varmint specific rifle some time.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've got numerous guns capable od taking yotes. My favorite by far is my lmt ar 15. I have a 4 power trigicon up top. This gun while probably not as accurate as a bolt gun is more than capable of long shots. My favorite feature however os that follow up shots are very fast and you have 29 of them. Many times while yote hunting you are forced to take a running shot or you kill one out of a pair but can't get on the second one fast enough.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Usually they're too spooky to get a head shot inside of 50yds. And that's about what you'd need to get a clean kill with a .22. Most coyote snipers use small to medium caliber long distance rounds. Flatter trajectory over 1 or 2 hundred yards, and a clean kill. And even if you consider coyotes a varmint, you always want a clean kill.

Eiffelman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Do coyote hunters usually build ground blinds and hope that a coyote will come strolling along within range?

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    my girls father carries his sks in his truck to get rid of them if he sees them while hes checking his crops
    and when they harass our livestock we just build a fire and sit out in the fields they come pretty close they are quite inquisitive

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    My all purpose small caliber is a 25-06. I would use this for all but the smallest varmints, like rabbits or chipmunks. It would be a good deer gun if that caliber was legal for use here in Indiana. Savage makes a nice rifle, and they are reasonably priced. If i could afford one I would get a Cooper Arms. I prefer Weaver scopes, i think mainly because not too many people use Weaver.

bm9mm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Rem model 700 heavy barrel in 223 have rolled them at 500 yards. Bedded and floated with a 2lb trigged and a 20x scope. I love that gun.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Do coyote hunters usually build ground blinds and hope that a coyote will come strolling along within range?

Most folks just find a spot with some cover, and the wind in a favorable direction, and use a mouthcall or electronic call. Everything from a mouse "squeak", to wounded rabbit, to "ki yi". I have an elevated blind I built for the wife to deer hunt out of, that works very well. Getting back to the original question, my Savage .30-06 is my favorite "ole trusty". ( my only lefty bolt action).

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    My favorite is my Savage 24, 223 over 20 gauge. It is great if I have one come up a fence or tree line and surprise me. Savage has some new ones out with 223/12 gauge in synthetic stock I am eyeballing. They are so handy.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    Inside of 125 yds. I used a 17HMR beyond that it was a .243.
    Also I would use a pop-up blind or use available foilage as cover and a friends electric call. Rabit in distress worked best for me.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    My most productive gun is my sks but thats probably just because its what I keep with me on the farm... targets of opportunity :)

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I don't hunt them myself but a friend swears by his 220 swift.
    When I asked about using my .223 he claimed they didn't drop as quickly but his swift he claims "whatever look they have on their face it is still there when he drops them"

Top Bottom