Coyote hunting... .223, .243, or .30-30?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Hi all,

My step dad mentioned to me yesterday that he's thinking about getting a rifle to take care of a predator problem they're having at their farm. Turkeys and chickens keep going missing, it seems...

He seemed somewhat interested in something in .223. Several years ago when he first thought of this, he was thinking something in .243...

BUT, he already has a 15-ish year old Win 94 in .30-30. I told him to just put a good scope on it and go from there. At their place, a 100yd shot on a 'yote would be a long one. 150yds absolute max.

So - in this situation - think a scoped .30-30 would suffice? Or does he have to spend $400 more + glass (Thinking one of the Mossburg rifles? or Ruger American? to keep cost down?)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Hi all,

My step dad mentioned to me yesterday that he's thinking about getting a rifle to take care of a predator problem they're having at their farm. Turkeys and chickens keep going missing, it seems...

He seemed somewhat interested in something in .223. Several years ago when he first thought of this, he was thinking something in .243...

BUT, he already has a 15-ish year old Win 94 in .30-30. I told him to just put a good scope on it and go from there. At their place, a 100yd shot on a 'yote would be a long one. 150yds absolute max.

So - in this situation - think a scoped .30-30 would suffice? Or does he have to spend $400 more + glass (Thinking one of the Mossburg rifles? or Ruger American? to keep cost down?)

ETA: He did mention that he hates shooting the .30-30 due to recoil. Not sure I blame him. Plus he's not a young man any more... Wonder if a cheap bolt rifle would be the best all around for him after all.

Would a .243 be slightly more forgiving as far as "stopping power" goes as compared to .223? Or would that all be mitigated by better bullet selection?

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    If a 100 yard shot would be considered a long one, then I'd personally put a scope on that 30-30, practice with it, and call it good. I think at the ranges you're talking, you wouldn't notice much difference. Yotes probably won't either:)
    He could spend some of that saved money on some dies,and load some softer shooting rounds for the 30-30.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I have a Ruger American in 223 for yotes, but doubt that further investment in a new rifle is necessary. The 30/30 would probably mess up the hide, but if all he wants to do is eliminate the pest, then so what. Could stay with a lighter weight bullet.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    A 30-30 is a little over kill for a yote IMO.... 243 would be a all round good round, Unless he just wants a .223... I shoot .223 myself and my son-inlaw shoots a 22-250... But at 100/150yds a .223 is a GREAT round at that distance... But its really all about what he likes, does give him a good reason for him to get a AR ?? ;)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My .308 did a pretty nice job on one last year. I'd say that whatever rifle he is comfortable with, that is accurate enough, is just fine. Be that a .50bmg or a .17HMR. If he can put the bullets where they need to go, run with it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks for the input, everyone.

Budget is a definite concern for him...but so is recoil, as I mentioned. I may look up some prices of a few inexpensive bolt guns just to let him see what he can save by just buying a scope and ammo for his already-owned rifle. I HOPE he won't sell that lever gun to fund anything else.

From a "power" standpoint, yes, the .30-30 is probably definitely over-kill. But he doesn't care about hide condition. He cares about livelihood - free-range / organic eggs, chickens, and turkeys!

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    His depredation problem is probably hawks, owls, coons, dogs, cats, red fox, grey fox, mink, bobcat or MAYBE, just MAYBE coyotes. Coyotes get a lot of undeserved blame for predation on domestic poultry. Truth be told, his low likelihood of success in killing coyotes is probably going to help those coyotes keep his predation problem in check a little. I run 30-50 free range chickens and a couple turkeys, if I had to pick one of those animals to be thick in my property... it'd be coyotes.

The antics of all those other critters get me into a lot of property for coyote hunting. Just last week, while I was calling in SW Kansas, I picked up a couple hundred acres in Southern Indiana due to a fawn being killed in a guys yard. All indicators point toward bobcat, but coyotes get the blame every time. The guys who take predation seriously (upland bird hunters, hardcore whitetail hunters & livestock producers) will reach out to people who focus on predator control. Others seem to use coyotes as an excuse to buy a new rifle, prop it up against the bedroom window and tell their buddies they're going to "thin the coyotes". That phrase cracks me up. I've been all over this country killing coyotes and even in cases where I killed an entire family group of 4-5-6 coyotes in the matter of 60 seconds, I've had coyotes there to work with a few weeks later. Good coyote country will hold coyotes.

Managing coyotes in Indiana is about deciding WHEN you want coyotes on the property and what wildlife you're willing to see curled up in coyote turds. Those deer hunters wanting to fatten buzzards on gut piles should be smoking every coyote they see right now, those who want their fawns to survive next spring need to consider some habitat changes and late season coyote control by someone capable of disrupting denning pairs. You just can't tell people that don't know, that they don't know.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Carrying capacity............every place has a limit.
    Reduce the population and others move in.
    Drops in the numbers is only temporary.........unless you stay on it and keep them suppressed.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    The 30-30 will do everything your looking for with ease , but if he just can't shoot it because of the recoil , a .243 would be a great choice . It would have more stopping power than a .223 , plus if he is a deer hunter , it just might be a legal caliber in the near future .

The .223 would work well to . It has a little less recoil than the .243 , but is not included in the proposed deer caliber regulations .

As far an affordable rifle goes , I really like some of the Savages and the Thompson Center Ventures . Great shooting rifles for the money .

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    His depredation problem is probably hawks, owls, coons, dogs, cats, red fox, grey fox, mink, bobcat or MAYBE, just MAYBE coyotes. Coyotes get a lot of undeserved blame for predation on domestic poultry. Truth be told, his low likelihood of success in killing coyotes is probably going to help those coyotes keep his predation problem in check a little. I run 30-50 free range chickens and a couple turkeys, if I had to pick one of those animals to be thick in my property... it'd be coyotes.

The antics of all those other critters get me into a lot of property for coyote hunting. Just last week, while I was calling in SW Kansas, I picked up a couple hundred acres in Southern Indiana due to a fawn being killed in a guys yard. All indicators point toward bobcat, but coyotes get the blame every time. The guys who take predation seriously (upland bird hunters, hardcore whitetail hunters & livestock producers) will reach out to people who focus on predator control. Others seem to use coyotes as an excuse to buy a new rifle, prop it up against the bedroom window and tell their buddies they're going to "thin the coyotes". That phrase cracks me up. I've been all over this country killing coyotes and even in cases where I killed an entire family group of 4-5-6 coyotes in the matter of 60 seconds, I've had coyotes there to work with a few weeks later. Good coyote country will hold coyotes.

Managing coyotes in Indiana is about deciding WHEN you want coyotes on the property and what wildlife you're willing to see curled up in coyote turds. Those deer hunters wanting to fatten buzzards on gut piles should be smoking every coyote they see right now, those who want their fawns to survive next spring need to consider some habitat changes and late season coyote control by someone capable of disrupting denning pairs. You just can't tell people that don't know, that they don't know.

They have indeed had a hawk problem in the past...

But given the fact that he's seen coyotes and fox near his birds - that's the angle they're going with.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Know anyone that reloads? I download .30-30s for my daughter quite easily. I'm in NE Indiana. If your close it only takes 10 minutes to do a batch.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Know anyone that reloads? I download .30-30s for my daughter quite easily. I'm in NE Indiana. If your close it only takes 10 minutes to do a batch.

I do know a few folks that reload, yes. But no one that i know of close that does .30-30. Since it's almost unusable in IN for deer, most folks just don't seem to use it. At least it's generally on the shelf at Walmart.

My step-dad lives in west-central IN. LONG way from Ft. Wayne. But I do appreciate the offer!

I honestly may look into some kind of inexpensive rifle as a Christmas gift. Not sure how my wife would feel about that, though...

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I vote for 223 considering cost of ammo and recoil. (you mentioned recoil in OP)

.243 is great but costs more, has slightly more recoil, and greatly extended range.
    If he's shooting them within 250-300 yds, the .223 is plenty if he makes good shots

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've shot them with .223 and .243. I personally prefer the .243 as a caliber. It is much more versatile, with a wider range of projectiles from 58 to 100ish GRS. Good deer and coyote round. I shoot the 95 gr. SST at everything out of it, and it's done a great job.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I've shot them with .223 and .243. I personally prefer the .243 as a caliber. It is much more versatile, with a wider range of projectiles from 58 to 100ish GRS. Good deer and coyote round. I shoot the 95 gr. SST at everything out of it, and it's done a great job.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Although I prefer 58 grain. fast and flat

Top Bottom