• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Well deer season is over for us for another year, and we did find some den's on our place this year and plenty of tracks. I've never hunted them before so does anyone have any advice for a beginner?
    Thanks in advance

Willob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I plan on getting serious with the coyotes this year. I live in Bartholomew Co. with property in Jennings and Switzerland counties that I can hunt. There are plenty of coyotes in all 3 counties. I have killed a few over the years but have never seriously pursued them. I think having a good property and playing the wind on set ups would be the most important items. I have called more in with hand calls than electronic calls but either will work.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I used to try and call them and things from atop a hill where I can see for a good distance and go based on wind. But in all honesty I have the best luck sitting in my deer stand and waiting there… I have had success with bait also even though that is somewhat controversial as to if it works and things but I personally don't have a proven method other than I have most success out of the stand.

The funny thing is I've killed more coyotes from driving around in the farm truck at work, seeing them and then blasting them, than I ever have going out to purposefully hunting them as much as that sucks. I guess the amount of time spent in the truck is way more than out hunting but still.

I am also in for ideas

Polished515

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Muncie
    The Coyotes are getting brave and mean around here. We've been tracking them for friends and family out in the country. In February it is good to use a call that makes them think another pack or strange yotes are near since mating is their main focus around this time. Right now we use a rabbit call and occasionally a decoy of a rabbit pelt. In the snow we lay on a mat and cover ourselves with a white blanket and wait for them to show. I prefer to make my base on top of a hill so I can see all around me. I also prefer to go when its dark and I use a red flashlight.
    I am still what I would call a novice but learning has been a lot of fun and I am a huge fan of waiting for the kill. Not sure why, maybe because I never get a moments peace unless i'm tucked away with a gun in hand haha.

tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    The Coyotes are getting brave and mean around here. We've been tracking them for friends and family out in the country. In February it is good to use a call that makes them think another pack or strange yotes are near since mating is their main focus around this time. Right now we use a rabbit call and occasionally a decoy of a rabbit pelt. In the snow we lay on a mat and cover ourselves with a white blanket and wait for them to show. I prefer to make my base on top of a hill so I can see all around me. I also prefer to go when its dark and I use a red flashlight.
    I am still what I would call a novice but learning has been a lot of fun and I am a huge fan of waiting for the kill. Not sure why, maybe because I never get a moments peace unless i'm tucked away with a gun in hand haha.

Just saw a pack of 5 last night about 1/2 mi from my house. I am concerned about letting my small dog out. I have been wanting to learn how to hunt coyotes for some time - this is enough motivation for me to get started.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    The most effective way I have seen to kill them, is they way an old man in Ky showed me a few years ago...He had a motion sensor light with a red bulb in it about 150 yds from his front porch. Below the light he would tie up road killed deer..When the coyotes would come, mostly in the night, the light would come on and ALSO trigger a buzzer in the cabin..he would go out on the porch that had a gun rest on the railing and shoot the coyote.. He said it was very effective in late winter when the coyotes were hungry..said he got between 15 and 25 in a few months every winter.

jbz400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    United States
    The most effective way I have seen to kill them, is they way an old man in Ky showed me a few years ago...He had a motion sensor light with a red bulb in it about 150 yds from his front porch. Below the light he would tie up road killed deer..When the coyotes would come, mostly in the night, the light would come on and ALSO trigger a buzzer in the cabin..he would go out on the porch that had a gun rest on the railing and shoot the coyote.. He said it was very effective in late winter when the coyotes were hungry..said he got between 15 and 25 in a few months every winter.

Now that would be fun.

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    Go to field, make painful rabbit getting ripped apart by hawk sound, wait, make awful sound again, giggle a little, wait, make blood curdling sound once more, wait, whack coyote, feel heart pump, smile, do over........

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Just saw a pack of 5 last night about 1/2 mi from my house. I am concerned about letting my small dog out. I have been wanting to learn how to hunt coyotes for some time - this is enough motivation for me to get started.

Not a lot to learn if shooting from home, grab your AR and do a full mag dump on them, after a few times they will find somewhere else to play!

More throttle and steer faster works when out in the country!

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    We been useing a fox pro elec. call useing a pup destress call and it s been working but in the next 2 weeks or so, a female call will be the best, they will comeing in heat. also if there are dead calf's or dead hogs around use a male howling then the male that is dom. will come to run the other off... but as others have said play the wind and set to where you can see along way and they will come...... kill'm all them dang fawn killers....Yotes like to hang out around cow's too so if you know farmer with cows you might want to ask to hunt on there land... Good luck and have a great time...

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    A few years back I went after coyotes pretty hard after deer season and had some luck but they are a hard animal to hunt. I always found having two people works well. One needs a mid range rifle such as a 223 or something like that and the other needs a 12 guage with a heavy load. I say this cause every time I hunt alone with my ar they sprint in close and are gone in a blink of an eye and they stay out a ways when I have my 12 guage. And like another poster previously said my deer stands seem to be my hot spots. If fact I have killed more coyotes by not even hunting them like during deer season or rabbit season. I hope this helps and good luck with it.

Top Bottom