• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    I've been trying (unsuccessfully) for about 3 years to call coyotes into shooting distance. My Dad and I called 1 in after dark 2 winters ago, but spooked him due to poor communication :rolleyes:

Anyway, I really want to step it up this year and hopefully do some good. Is there anyone out there that has some secrets to success? I have a scoped AR and a variety of mouth and electronic calls (nuthin' fancy) and plenty of places to go.

Whats better, day or night? small spots or big open fields?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The very best time (IMHO) is a full moon with snow cover. Second best is the coldest afternoon of the year with bright sunshine. A close third is anywhere the combine has just harvested i even hunt the edges whle they are still doing the field.

My best success seems to be off tractor trails in areas with fields and some timber/cover. If i am going in blind to a new area the first thing i look for is a tractor road track of some type.

when calling if you can get blue jays/crows/ravens to come in an investigate you are using the call correctly.

A decoy of some type (I use just a old tanned rabbit skin) will keep the intrest off you best when used with controlable electronic caller.

Most people can;t sit still. Any movement and they will bust you. FOr the first timers this is normally the case. Also the shadow is your friend sit in one.

I don't start till after firearms deer season. At first i use a shotgun with lead BB's and #4 buck. After a few trips out i bring out the .222 rem, buy the end of the season i am using a 6mm rem. They get hanging up further out as they get pressured and the shots get longer.

If you have a nice place to hunt I would be more than happy to try to get you your first one.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    thank you for all the good info! ive never thought about setting up on a tractor path. i live near a large resevoir with hundreds of acres of small food plots surrounded by woods. do u think these could be good?

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    Remember when that coyote is coming into the call he is using every sense to find that meal. stay hidden so they dont see u, stay quiet, and also watch your scent. they will be trying to smell the meal and will smell you. watch for them circling downwind. a little movement of a decoy can help bring them straight in downwind.

iMac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    If you see them in the right spot where you want to shoot I always bark and they stop dead in there tracks.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Everybody is dead on what I would say. They always end up down wind seems like. We built some little shacks with heaters in them and would hunt them at night, full moon, snow cover, no lights, occasional call, over some road kill deers.

All you gotta do is sit tight, try not to fart too much and keep relatively quiet and they will come to that food pile eventually. That's how a buddy of mine got his first confirmed kill.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Everybody is dead on what I would say. They always end up down wind seems like. We built some little shacks with heaters in them and would hunt them at night, full moon, snow cover, no lights, occasional call, over some road kill deers.

All you gotta do is sit tight, try not to fart too much and keep relatively quiet and they will come to that food pile eventually. That's how a buddy of mine got his first confirmed kill.

Agree with the winding part, and will try the road kill deer trick too. The first few I called in seemed to always come from a different direction that expected and winded me. I can't wait to get out there after deer season this year.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I've done the road kill deer thing too, and put a trail cam over it. Got some great pics from it. I made sure to call the local dnr before moving the deer that I found though. I think you have to have a certain kind of permit before just hauling them away. I got the "ok", was given the name and phone # of the officer I talked to, in case I got stopped, and was good to go.

coyotetrailcam.jpg
    [/IMG]

Happy Hunting

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    I'm a big waterfowl hunter, so I always have plenty of carcasses to make bait piles out of. I'll put my trail cam on it as soon as I get the pile goin this fall.

birdslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Walkerton
    I use pigeons from dog training, to get the party started then remnants from the farm from "preivious departed souls" They all circle, just get your bait down wind from you a good distance and call into the wind.... adjust your calls on how they react. and there distance. Keep a low profile avoid tall silouetts, I use military surplus "whites" for hunting with snow backdrops.. Good Luck

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I, too, use military whites to hunt after the snow is on the ground.
    And moonlit nights are generally perfect for coyote hunts.

I was taught how, by some Winnebago indians in far northcentral Wisconsin. We used a 'wounded rabbit' call (electronic) and sat halfway up the mound of an elevated railroad track, near a stream. One side of the track had small lines of woods, seperating corn fields...the other side had an open field of sawgrass(?) and small brush, surrounded by thick woods.

Back then, in certain parts of Wisconsin, it was illegal to bait for anything except black bear...... as far as gut-piles, etc. But we did use small cans of processed meat, opened only after we got afield. Being 'still & quiet' is probably the most important aspect of hunting coyotes.... that is, after scouting. If you're not in an area where coyotes are normally hunting their prey, or are enroute to those spots..... you're wasting your time, even calling.... IMHO.

Believe it or not... those same indians taught me to hunt rabbits after dark, on moonlit nights.... the same way (using 2X scoped .22's) and using the same 'wounded rabbit' calls. Rabbits, by nature, will seek out a freshly wounded member of their species..... and kick him to death, so he doesn't attract the coyotes and owls.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I had NO idea. That's absolutly awesome!

Yeah, it just amazed me. When those old indians first told me about that... and took me on a nite hunt...... I thought they were just "having fun" with the white man. But it was fact, and those bunnies just come hopping right toward you, when they here that call....... :yesway:

Made for easy moonlight head shots with the rimfire rifles.

You can also hear them 'warning' their buddies, when a coyote is headed in. They thump the ground with their hind feet.... sounds like a tiny drum.

.45kohnACP

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    boonies of NWI
    x2 on the distressed rabbit call, we used to put in corn bin trailers. It amplifies nicely and it will draw them in you play hurry up and wait after that and as others have said some type of raw bait will draw them in also plus it pulls attention away from your scent.

Top Bottom