• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jrhemming

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Kokomo
    Hey I am trying to find out if I can coyote hunt with my AR 15 at Winamac fish and wildlife area. I looked at the DNR website but couldn't find anything. Sorry if this is in the wrong area this is the only Indiana specific forum I am on and I didn't see a hunting section. I have never coyote hunted before but I have been wanting to get into it. I had a coyote walk under my deer stand at Winamac last year so I know there are some out there. Thanks for any info and feel free to move this if its in the wrong area.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Hey I am trying to find out if I can coyote hunt with my AR 15 at Winamac fish and wildlife area. I looked at the DNR website but couldn't find anything. Sorry if this is in the wrong area this is the only Indiana specific forum I am on and I didn't see a hunting section. I have never coyote hunted before but I have been wanting to get into it. I had a coyote walk under my deer stand at Winamac last year so I know there are some out there. Thanks for any info and feel free to move this if its in the wrong area.

as stated before questions about hunting will be quicker answered in the outdoors section of forum. But to answer your questions you can legally hunt a coyote with any caliber firearm in Indiana. An AR type platform is a very common coyote gun in Indiana, I use mine all the time.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    as stated before questions about hunting will be quicker answered in the outdoors section of forum. But to answer your questions you can legally hunt a coyote with any caliber firearm in Indiana. An AR type platform is a very common coyote gun in Indiana, I use mine all the time.

from 22short (or 17mach2) all the way up to 50bmg ............. i suppose larger too ....

Jrhemming

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Kokomo
    I was checking winamac on dnr but didn't see any restrictions but didn't see anything saying it was ok either I'll just call up there tomorrow

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Small game license, sign in, be safe and have at it (within season).

FYI, houndsmen run yotes up there, so if they're there before you.............might as well forget it.

I gave up on yoting that place after running into it twice. I didn't night hunt though.
    Same issues at other F&W areas, but we still see a few elsewhere and pop one now and then (calling).

Non hound guys also push yotes to others waiting at strategic crossings. It's a really good method, gotta know the areas well, amd use shotgunners (for extra safety)............and you'll need two or more vehicles, a couple walkers, a couple shooters.............and with more folks one really has to be selective on who they hunt with.

For that reason, my partner and I only call (or try to call) 'em in. Lesser effectiveness, but hey.............even a day of no yotes means not being at home listening to the old lady or kids howling ;)

Jrhemming

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Kokomo
    Thanks for the info I did go up there yesterday. I heard some howling at first light but never got any in close. It was still nice to get back in the woods though

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    DNR told me few years back, that I could use, " Any caliber on any weapon." I said, ".50 machinegun?" and it was yes. Even machineguns and suppressors for varmints.

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    I didn't know that the suppressor law passed. Is this true? I've always thought it would be nice to kill yotes at 4 am without waking up the whole neighborhood!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The common hunting regulation summary used to call out full auto as not legal, as well as silencers.
    Just because silencers may be legal now, my guess is that full auto is not....even against varmints, esp those that at times become game animals (have a season).

Remember, even if the hunting reg summary doesn't state something, that doesn't mean it is legal due to omission in that bundle of info.

Anybody have the IC for the legality of full auto in hunting?

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I didn't know that the suppressor law passed. Is this true? I've always thought it would be nice to kill yotes at 4 am without waking up the whole neighborhood!

Yep. I took one with a suppressed AR-15 last week:

Suppressed_Coyote.jpg

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    There are no weapons restrictions on coyote. Your AR-15 is perfectly legal for coyote.

From the DNR website http://www.eregulations.com/indiana/hunting/furbearers-hunting/ :
    Fox & Coyote Hunting
    It is legal to hunt fox and coyote with the use of mouth- or hand-operated calls, or with the use of recorded calls. Spotlights may be used to take fox and coyote. There are no restrictions on hunting hours or firearms for hunting fox and coyote. It is illegal to hunt fox or coyote from a roadway or with the use of any motor-driven conveyance. It is legal to chase foxes and coyotes with dogs year-round with a hunting license.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I'm thinking full auto for hunting is still a no-no.

I'm pretty sure that machineguns are legal for everything but waterfowl. Remember, if it isn't listed as prohibited, it is considered legal. I have went through every bit of IC 14-22 and have never seen anything regarding machineguns and furbearers.

No person shall take migratory game birds:

• With a trap, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10 gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machine gun, fishhook, poison, drug, explosive or stupefying substance.

Top Bottom