• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Not trying to thread jack but I was wondering what time of day/night you are shooting all these coyotes. If at night what kind of lights are you using? I was looking into one of BSA's ND3 laser lights but they are pretty exspensive and I wasnt sure about the green light.

newbomb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    southwest indiana
    I do both day and night stands, I like day stands best just for being able to see them coming in from a distance. Night stands are fun too and somtimes the coyotes seem to be a little braver and easier to come in but getting the wind right and your setups in relation to the cover your hunting is an art which I have not mastered! For night hunting I use my day gun which is a savage model 11 .243 with 58 grain hornady vmax, I put a new bell and carlson stock and a bausch and lomb scope on it and made a very nice shooter for not to much money. I have a lightforce 170 night hunting kit that mounts directly on my scope and I use a pair of telescoping 62" bipod sticks to stand up and scan my light at night. I can talk about this stuff all day so any more questions fire away!!

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I do both day and night stands, I like day stands best just for being able to see them coming in from a distance. Night stands are fun too and somtimes the coyotes seem to be a little braver and easier to come in but getting the wind right and your setups in relation to the cover your hunting is an art which I have not mastered! For night hunting I use my day gun which is a savage model 11 .243 with 58 grain hornady vmax, I put a new bell and carlson stock and a bausch and lomb scope on it and made a very nice shooter for not to much money. I have a lightforce 170 night hunting kit that mounts directly on my scope and I use a pair of telescoping 62" bipod sticks to stand up and scan my light at night. I can talk about this stuff all day so any more questions fire away!!

In that case:cool:

What are your calling techniques?
    -How often do you use a howl or coyote call and for how long
    -When do you use your distress calls and for how long
    Night/Day?

I have a quite a few 'yotes around me and need some extra input. :)

pokey308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    New Palestine, IN
    newbomb i use the same rifle. i use 70gr federal's version of the vmax. i envy you on the lightforce. ive been beggin my fiance for the last 2months for one as a bday/xmas present.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have the weaponry, the skill, and desire to use them for "yote-wacking".

I just need the property to hunt them.

Anyone in the Tippecanoe area that just "wants them gone"? :popcorn:

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    practice

I was out again today walking the dairy farm that I hunt. Was walking back from a stand through an uncut hay field and jumped one almost exactly the same place I did about a week ago (see earlier post) Long story short, missed a nice yote running at about seventy yards with the tc omega. I definitely need some more practice at running targets.:xmad: Needless to say, there was no second shot.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Here is last weekends only shot.
    DSC00771.jpg

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Not trying to thread jack but I was wondering what time of day/night you are shooting all these coyotes. If at night what kind of lights are you using? I was looking into one of BSA's ND3 laser lights but they are pretty exspensive and I wasnt sure about the green light.

If you look at my headless coyote pictured earlier. You will see one of the lasers. They are not what there cracked up to be.

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Yotewacker what are you dislikes about the ND3? I wondered if the green light affected the the animals more than the old red lights. Do you think going to the bigger ND5 would be better. I currenetly am using just a 4D maglight with a red lens but it doesnt have much range past 30 yards. i am new to this and dont want to spend good money on bad equipment.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    If you notice my rifle laying with one of the pics. It has a ND3 mounted on it. If you are let's say about 100 yards out and have the focus about 24". It's not bright enough to light the animal up enough to see your cross-hairs and animal well. If you focus a smaller circle on it. It's then bright enough to see the animal, but if it hits there eyes, it's like it hurts them and they turn away, leaving you with nothing to judge you shot on.

On a budget. I would use a lightforce. They are very well adjusted to predator hunting and even have a dimmer on them. They can mount right above your scope and are adjustable.

Last edited:

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I was out again today walking the dairy farm that I hunt. Was walking back from a stand through an uncut hay field and jumped one almost exactly the same place I did about a week ago (see earlier post) Long story short, missed a nice yote running at about seventy yards with the tc omega. I definitely need some more practice at running targets.:xmad: Needless to say, there was no second shot.

From my experience. Aim your cross-hairs on the very front of the animal. On a coyote, just under the mouth on the neck area. Follow him with a nice even turn keeping your scope in that area. When you sure your steady, fire. The bullet should travel back about 12" putting you in a vital area just above the heart.

newbomb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    southwest indiana
    In that case:cool:

What are your calling techniques?
    -How often do you use a howl or coyote call and for how long
    -When do you use your distress calls and for how long
    Night/Day?

I have a quite a few 'yotes around me and need some extra input. :)
    In my opinion the wildlife technologies callers are the best in the business, they only use real life animal sounds and they are crystal clear when coming out of the speaker. They have hundreds of sounds to put on your caller when you order it.

1. I use several different coyote vocals, some of my favorite are adult male rally, female invitational and canine distress. I usualy only throw 1 series of vocals out then switch to prey distress shortly afterwards.
    2. 90% of my calling is prey distress including domestic animals like goat or chicken. I usualy start off at a lower volume then increase to full volume after a few minutes,every stand is different and somtimes it just "feels right" and I may sit and let the caller play for 30 minutes or more. However most of my callups happen withing the first 5 minutes.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    how often should you call? should you call for a little bit the stop and do it again later? I've called a couple in and everyone of them happened in about the first five min, will repeated calling scare them off? how long should you wait to switch locations?

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Thanks, I'll literally "give it a shot" next time. I think I'm still thinking that I am swinging on doves or something, and just leading them too much. Went back out tonight with a friend to the dairy farm I hunt. Long story short, two cows died this week, were taken out to a fence row(approximately 1600lbs of bait). Buddy and I laid 250 yards out until dark and family obligations called. Did not see anything. Farmer calls less than ten minutes after we left to let me know the yotes were going crazy on the bait. I hope to make it out tomorrow to give it another shot.
    -anyone have any experience with the new primos L.E.D. gun mounted light? I have the 250 yard optronics/primos light, which is really only good for about 100 yards and am looking to upgrade. The lightforce lights look sweet.

From my experience. Aim your cross-hairs on the very front of the animal. On a coyote, just under the mouth on the neck area. Follow him with a nice even turn keeping your scope in that area. When you sure your steady, fire. The bullet should travel back about 12" putting you in a vital area just above the heart.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom