• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    i have searched the other threads and didnt see exactly what i was looking for. i have a female cattle dog that has gone into to heat which seems to be bringing the coyotes even closer to the house and the landlords friend has some sheep in the side pasture. me not wanting a dead dog or coyote/cattle dog pups wants to eliminate the problem. so i have a 91/30 that screaming to take out a yote with iron sights or a savage .22 with a scope if they are close enough. i also have an electronic call for coyotes. my question is should i use a bait sent like they sell at walmart or whatever or somehow try to use the dogs sent from being in heat/ idk but i am pretty sure her urine would be attracting them. ol lady said they were pretty much outside our bedroom window yesterday morning and is scared of the dog being attacked. any advice on scents to use and i am thinking right around sundown to try. i sat out last night on the back porch in the dark with the call going and could hear them but then the ol lady decided to be loud and scared em off:xmad:.

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Sorry I don't know the answer to your questions. Use the big gun is always my choice. I do know my goats scare the coyotes away from the chickens. If you get a couple I would like some pelts. Good luck

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    You don't want to overstimulate them, it can tip them off that something is wrong. As long as your dog is in heat it doesn't sound like you need any other attractant.

When that runs out the call will bring them in just fine, but it will come down to figuring out what sound interests them the most at any given time. It might be a distress call signaling a meal, it might be a pup call, might be an owl fight...hard to know until you try. Once firearms season starts for deer there will be too many easy meals lying in the woods to bring them to a rabbit distress call, for instance.

If you'd prefer a scent to an audible call, once your dog is out, head to any place that sells trapping supplies and look for a long distance predator calling scent. No idea if Wal Mart sells such a thing. A few drops about chest high on the edge of a field, a visual like a piece of rabbit fur stuck where they can see it, is highly effective.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    You might get a few using calls and baits, but you are never going to get all of them out of the area.

You will educate the rest that you don't kill.

Even if you manged to take the whole pack out there would be others move in from the presence of the sheep in the area.

Coyotes are like roaches and very difficult to fully rid of in an area.

If you are unexperienced in hunting coyotes I would suggest a bait pile continually monitored and coyotes shot on sight.

When that fails to produce the trapping comes in.

Trapping can take alot more coyotes out of an area with clever trap sets than by hunting.

Coyotes are very wary and pick up on hunters tactics very quickly.

I help out farmers and others with domestic animal predation like you for free in my area.

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    well i think i am going to try some kind of bait pile i am not an experienced hunter just like shooting a lot the only yote i dropped was a couple yrs ago sneaking up on a baby calf didnt expect it dropped him at about 125yds with the 91/30. her parents have cattle i read in the other post i searched that the afterbirth is a good bait might have to try that. i just know i want to get as many as i can i know i cant wipe them all out but its worth a shot

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    Good luck.

I hope you kill them all.

Afterbirth is very good bait.

Coyotes will eat a calf as it's being born, nip at the mothers leg tendons till she cant support her own weight and then feast on her too.

Keep a close watch on your dog so they don't kill her.

Post some pics when you thump one.

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    will do i think sunday morning should be a good day to try it out i am thinking sitting some kind of a bait pile up in the middle of the field behind our house and sitting along the fence line with the ol 91/30 and see if can get any in range. i have researched trapping and have plenty of places to set them nut i dont want my dog to get curious and wind up in one

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    Call dnr in your area and see if you can get some road kill deer for your bait pile.

Let them know what going on and see if they know someone in that area that does what I do here to help out.

They may be very cooperative and help you out bigtime.

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    Call dnr in your area and see if you can get some road kill deer for your bait pile.

Let them know what going on and see if they know someone in that area that does what I do here to help out.

They may be very cooperative and help you out bigtime.
    All he has said is great advise..... Kill what you can.... Smarter ones will start to look for safer feeding grounds....
    I got 11 one year (mixed coyote and coydog) and the rest seemed to avoid the back 40 unless there was something really tasty and I heard no more yelps or yips from pups for 2 seasons after....

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    You have the bait already it sounds like. Tie the dog up in the yard and sit in a tree close by. Pop them as they come around. It may scare the dog first couple times, but.........
    the 91/30 will do the job you want out about as far as you want to.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Sorry I don't know the answer to your questions. Use the big gun is always my choice. I do know my goats scare the coyotes away from the chickens. If you get a couple I would like some pelts. Good luck

Really?? goats scare coyotes away ? Ive seen coyotes eat goats that have stuck their heads through the fence to feed.
    That must be some Urban myth or something cause a coyote isn't scared of anything . They might be weary but not scared , skittish maybe but not scared

I've had large adult males lung and try to get at me many times when in my traps

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    i dont know if i would really want to try eating a coyote. doesnt sound to appetizing to me. i got a buddy i could talk into it though if he were in town that would be pretty funny to see the look on his face when he tried it. so far plans are to set up a bait pile early sun morning in the middle of the field and set along the fence row. ol lady says she hears them after i am already at work between 6:30-7:00ish

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    A little off topic, but are coyotes good eating?:):
    a cuz of mine has a pitch in wild game deal at work sometimes . He said once they killed a fresh coyote and cut the back straps out and cooked them up along with many other animals. he said they didnt tell everyone what the caoyoye was but he said he tried it and it was nasty lol! he said all thye guys thought so too:D

Top Bottom