• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    So a big female got whacked by a pickup truck two vehicles ahead of me on Friday. Quite messed up when all said and done and not much pelt left after being run over by the other two. I stopped to look and there is this big bushy tail left, quite untouched. All other vehicles had departed and I dragged her to the road edge, walked back to my van and grabbed a hacksaw. Couple of saw cuts and I now have a nice bushy coyote tail. It is in a zip-lock bag soaking in alcohol. Now what? :dunno:

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    Just worked my Google-fu and found that most people strip the bone and flesh out of the tail. Pack it with salt for a week or two. Add borax after that and it will be good to go. Not as good as tanning but will last a long time.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Put it in Borax. A white powder for 30 days. It will dry it and kill the bugs. 30 days will kill any eggs that hatch also.

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    you need to get the bone out of the tail. you can do this a couple of ways. you can get a knive ( a sharp one) and cut a straight line up the tail and start cutting and peeling. or get a 1/8 in thick piece of steal say 4 inches by 2 inches. find center both ways and drill a 3/4 hole in it. 1/2 inch hole may work i think 3/4 would be better. now cut that in half long ways. on one ind drill a hole to put a small bolt into both pieces. this will hinge the 2 pieces together the 2 half moons oppoising each other.
    now take the tail and cut back some of the fur so you can grab the bone with a pair of plieres or vice grips. now put the 2 pieces of metal around the bone just above the fur you peeled back and sqweeze the metal enough that the fur wont come back the the half moons but not so tight that they cut threw the bone. Now pull the bone out. pull on the bone NOT the fur. If you pull down on the fur it will just rip and then your screwed. the bone should pull out all the way to the end. once this is done. take your knive and split the tail all the way to the tip. get some tacks or small nails and pin the tail onto a piece of plywood. salt it down for a good bit untill no oil soaks into the salt. keep replasing the salt until there is no oil. once this is done you can hang it on the wall and injoy. im hoping the alcohol you soaked it in didnt harm it but who knows ive never soacked fur in anything. good luck.

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    btw if you take it out and you can easly pull the fur out of it just throw it in the trash its no good any more.

Finnish Genius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    UpperMichigan God's country
    Our cat used to play with one a lot. Still have the tail in front room somewhere. He used to walk around with it looked like a great big mustache on the cat. I got 2 within 2 minutes with a .17 Rem.centerfire My wife saw me shoot the 2d one. One came in first and other followed. Had suet in the trees for birds. That.17 puts them to sleep.quick. Ken I left the bone in if I remember right, Got a cute clip on turning a mink hide fur side out. The Finnish Genius way. Will see if wife will do it for me tomorrow..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom