• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    I put down a big alpha male tonight with my RAR, just at dusk. He came in on a cotton tail call that I played about five minutes before he showed. 55 yards with a CCI 32 gr stinger right in the lower neck. He was facing me nose to nose, I won. I View attachment 59991 don't want to offend with a kill shot photo, but it was a nice DRT shot. Right at dusk too.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Hubby started a bait pile today. I've been seeing a couple of different ones in the back yard on my trail cameras. I was just looking at the pictures that I pulled from last night, and there he was at 1 this morning.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Hello hunting partner.

E306774D-1D19-4AD4-A653-21C89E0F8112_zpsgawklfex.jpg

Hi! I gotta learn yardage with this thing. I called one in tonight and thought it was 200 yards away. Turns out, my hunting partner turned it on 2x so what I thought was within 150 yards was closer to 325. I shot under it, it hopped and took off. I called him back in to about the same distance, but he wouldn't get closer and ended up leaving. Maybe next time.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm amazed with my scope. I saw deer at about 600 yards, a raccoon (most likely) in a tree at 600 yards, a hawk flying around, horses at 1,000+ yards, and a mouse at 35-40 yards. It's almost cheating.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    So the deer carcass that was used for the bait pile was put out yesterday, late morning. This morning, it was demolished...all that is left is the hide and one leg bone. Head is gone and it has been consumed! Coyote tracks EVERYWHERE out there. Cameras are now in place...a day late, but they are out there now with fresh batteries.

Fox and coyotes were on the cameras I have closer to the house last night.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Dedicated Song Dog rifle is a CZ 527 in .204 Ruger.

Dead on out past 300yds. Super fast. Not much worry about ricochet as bullets frag upon hitting anything. Super accurate. Drops them like a bad habit.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Dedicated Song Dog rifle is a CZ 527 in .204 Ruger.

Dead on out past 300yds. Super fast. Not much worry about ricochet as bullets frag upon hitting anything. Super accurate. Drops them like a bad habit.

That's been my experience with the 204, very enjoyable to shoot and flat kills. Very easy to watch bullet impact due to low recoil.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Not illegal according to what I have read or the CO's that I have talked to. Deer yes. Coyotes No.

I agree with the others. I would need to see that in writing. I read the regs several times to make sure it was allowed when hubby said he was going to use a bait pile last season.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Not illegal according to what I have read or the CO's that I have talked to. Deer yes. Coyotes No.

I agree with the others. I would need to see that in writing. I read the regs several times to make sure it was allowed when hubby said he was going to use a bait pile last season.

I grew up hunting bait piles for coyotes. You can use live ones in a cage to trap others so I cannot imagine not being able to bait them. I could find no statement against baiting yotes.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I just pulled up the regs to make sure nothing has changed. I find this but nothing about baiting or not baiting:

[h=2]Furbearer Hunting[/h]A valid hunting license is needed to hunt coyote, gray fox, opossum, raccoon, red fox, and striped skunk. (See the chart above for season dates.)
    A continuously burning light that can be seen for at least 500 feet must be carried while pursuing furbearing animals between sunset and sunrise. It is illegal to:

• Remove wild animals from any cavity or den;
    • To disturb the den or nest of any animal by shooting, digging, cutting or chipping; with the aid of smoke, fire, fumes, chemicals, ferret or other small animal; or with any device introduced into the hole where the animal is sheltered
    • To use or carry tree climbing or cutting equipment for the purpose of dislodging an animal from a tree.

[h=2]Fox & Coyote Hunting[/h]It is legal to hunt fox and coyote with the use of mouth- or hand-operated calls, or with the use of recorded calls. Spotlights may be used to take fox and coyote. There are no restrictions on hunting hours or firearms for hunting fox and coyote. It is illegal to hunt fox or coyote from a roadway or with the use of any motor-driven conveyance. It is legal to chase foxes and coyotes with dogs year-round with a hunting license. Certain restrictions apply on DNR-managed properties.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I just pulled up the regs to make sure nothing has changed. I find this but nothing about baiting or not baiting:

[h=2]Furbearer Hunting[/h]A valid hunting license is needed to hunt coyote, gray fox, opossum, raccoon, red fox, and striped skunk. (See the chart above for season dates.)
    A continuously burning light that can be seen for at least 500 feet must be carried while pursuing furbearing animals between sunset and sunrise. It is illegal to:

• Remove wild animals from any cavity or den;
    • To disturb the den or nest of any animal by shooting, digging, cutting or chipping; with the aid of smoke, fire, fumes, chemicals, ferret or other small animal; or with any device introduced into the hole where the animal is sheltered
    • To use or carry tree climbing or cutting equipment for the purpose of dislodging an animal from a tree.

[h=2]Fox & Coyote Hunting[/h]It is legal to hunt fox and coyote with the use of mouth- or hand-operated calls, or with the use of recorded calls. Spotlights may be used to take fox and coyote. There are no restrictions on hunting hours or firearms for hunting fox and coyote. It is illegal to hunt fox or coyote from a roadway or with the use of any motor-driven conveyance. It is legal to chase foxes and coyotes with dogs year-round with a hunting license. Certain restrictions apply on DNR-managed properties.

Guess i was mislead by my local CO.

Top Bottom