• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We have a friend that wants them for the pelts. He is supposed to be getting us a couple of the pelts from last year but hasn't gotten them done yet. I think he finally thawed them out and skinned them to make room in his freezers for this season. He had an otter and a beaver in there too that were taking up a fair amount of space. The beaver was huge.

Here are the first two taken here last week. Male and then a female that was missing a back foot.

tzuA61p.jpg

FF9Vl9E.jpg

QMCq2PD.jpg

This one is on my list...not sure whose cat that is in his mouth since mine are all here.

TB3n176.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Mom, you need to get Dad a thermal.

We are working on it. He is trying to be cheap...yesterday, I sent back the monocular he ordered. He wants to order the Photon and I told him am not ordering anything that cheap because I will end up sending it back too. He is stubborn but I think I have him beat in that area, and I control the computer since he doesn't even know how to turn it on. He is watching You Tube on the Amazon Fire box so I am making him do more research and have told him to loosen up on the checkbook a bit. :laugh:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    IR Hunter. Expensive, but pretty much the top of the food chain.
    Pulsar Apex XQ50. Priced well, good native, good picture.
    Pulsar Trail XQ50. Same as the Apex but more bells and whistles.
    Flir ps233. Entry level. It's new, so I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it. Reviews seem good, but the videos I've seen leave a little to be desired, imo.

Here is what I've learned so far...

Micron processor - get the lowest you can afford
    Hertz - the more, the better
    Resolution - the more, the better
    Native magnification - more important than digital. I never go beyond 2x. Every time you increase your digital, you decrease your resolution by at least half. Personally, 4x and above looks like crap and i don't bother with it.

Hopefully this helps. If you or your husband wants to look through mine and "take it for a test drive", I'm sure we could work out the details.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    IR Hunter. Expensive, but pretty much the top of the food chain.
    Pulsar Apex XQ50. Priced well, good native, good picture.
    Pulsar Trail XQ50. Same as the Apex but more bells and whistles.
    Flir ps233. Entry level. It's new, so I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it. Reviews seem good, but the videos I've seen leave a little to be desired, imo.

Here is what I've learned so far...

Micron processor - get the lowest you can afford
    Hertz - the more, the better
    Resolution - the more, the better
    Native magnification - more important than digital. I never go beyond 2x. Every time you increase your digital, you decrease your resolution by at least half. Personally, 4x and above looks like crap and i don't bother with it.

Hopefully this helps. If you or your husband wants to look through mine and "take it for a test drive", I'm sure we could work out the details.

I am printing your post for him. You Tube research will continue. :):

Thank you for the info. I'm sure that pricey Leupold scope he just bought with the illuminated reticle is staying even though the monocular went back. I think he is just collecting toys at this point and using the coyotes to justify his purchases. LOL

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Coyote sausage? Is that even a thing?

And, if it is, is it any good?

I've had all sorts of other hunting-sausage, so now I'm curious.
    This reminds me of an episode of "King of The Hill". After accusing the new Vietnamese neighbors of cooking their dog, mrs King-of-the-hill invited the Vietnamese lady of the house over to swap recipes. Her response to everything was "Ugh, add mo'le ginga". Finally mrs KOTH asked "Well, how about my 'road-kill-possum-souffle'?"; the response: "You lednecks eat anything".:D

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I am printing your post for him. You Tube research will continue. :):

Thank you for the info. I'm sure that pricey Leupold scope he just bought with the illuminated reticle is staying even though the monocular went back. I think he is just collecting toys at this point and using the coyotes to justify his purchases. LOL

It’s the perfect excuse!

So... is it better to have a thermal IR Hunter or a PVS14?

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    I get nite vision after about 20 minutes, as long as I don't backscatter myself with the scan LED.
    Nice looking dogs. I have decided to leave my kills in the field and use them as bait. It doesn't take long for them to get eaten, even without ketchup.
    Good luck and good hunting.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I get nite vision after about 20 minutes, as long as I don't backscatter myself with the scan LED.
    Nice looking dogs. I have decided to leave my kills in the field and use them as bait. It doesn't take long for them to get eaten, even without ketchup.
    Good luck and good hunting.

The monitor he has been using on his homemade night vision system (thank you You Tube) lights up the hunting condo so he is not happy with that.

We've been picking up roadkill deer for bait. Permits are easy to get by going to the county sheriff's office so he has various friends that call when they see one...he gets the permit and picks it up. It is amazing how fast they can clean up an entire deer. The first carcass lasted less than 24 hours and all that was left was part of the hide and one femur bone.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Maybe try some window tint on the monitor?

He bought some to do that so we'll see if that helps. He is also now playing with my old camcorder since you can view through that with the eyepiece and it works in low light.

He said the new IR torch lights things up WAY better. I believe that it is mounted on his gun...plus he has rigged a little camera to look through the Leupold scope and said even in the very dark conditions last night, he could see a skunk 100 yards out hitting the bait pile. At least he is staying busy...retired men get bored easily so this is a good project.

The camera through the scope sends the pictures to the monitor...I think. This is another of those You Tube things that he saw. Last spring, I was ordering spy cameras and IR torches and all sorts of things.

This is his new IR torch. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BWMB404?ref_=pe_2640190_233158700_shiptrack_e_304_dt_1

The T20 didn't illuminate out far enough.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'll find out Friday. We're heading to Logansport to sell the furs. I have no idea what they're worth, but a few bucks can go towards batteries and ammo.

Coyotes are $8-15 and coons are $2. We got $46 for four coyotes and three coons.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Fur just starting to prime up on the yotes. You are getting good prices on the yotes so the must have the pale bellies. Best I got last year was 7-7.50 each. The coons we got 3-4.50 each. This year I think I will try the old tanning and then maybe sell to others or trade them around. Got to be someone who wants a tanned coyote or coon around.

I remember the time when a road kill coon was 20-25 unskinned to the LOcal buyer.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I'll find out Friday. We're heading to Logansport to sell the furs. I have no idea what they're worth, but a few bucks can go towards batteries and ammo.

Rookie,If you do not mind me asking. Where do you sell hides in Logansport? I was un-aware that there was still a fur buyer there ?

Top Bottom