• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Is there anything as cool/eerie sounding as abunch of coyotes yipping and howling? Just came in from listening to them for about 5 minutes or so. I have been told they are farther away then they sound and less of them then it sounds like. I've also heard foxes in heat make pretty interesting sounds.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We've had the fox right outside our bedroom window. I had no idea what it was that I was hearing. I finally googled fox sounds (along with other wild critters) and found a sound clip that matched.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    It's especially eerie when you don't live way out in the country and hear them out at night. Makes me think my 4' suburbia fence is not tall enough.

Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    The other night I woke my wife up to listen to the coyotes, surprisingly she wasn't that impressed and I became more scared of her than being out with the coyotes.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    We've had the fox right outside our bedroom window. I had no idea what it was that I was hearing. I finally googled fox sounds (along with other wild critters) and found a sound clip that matched.

You still have that clip? I've always wondered what the fox says.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yep, eerie is the right word.
    I've heard it several times while deer hunting and also in the woods right next to where I work.
    You can tell the pack is on a kill when the howling is punctuated with excited yips, barks, and growling.
    Also agree that Screech owls are really good for getting the hackles up, especially when you're not expecting to hear one.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nothing like being out in the woods late at night "doing your business" and hearing a pack start up on the next ridge over. It'll make ya finish that business fast! :):

Top Bottom