• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    FWIW - I took a little drive yesterday and wheeled-in to this place to take a look. Walked in and the two guys behind the counter (one was helping a customer fill out paperwork and the other was taking inventory or something) looked up. I smiled and nodded and they looked at me like I had three heads. No nod, no greeting, no acknowledgment at all. As I looked around the shop I did some price checking as compared to my local shop (KS&E) and found their prices to be pretty high. They had new S&W Sigmas at $399 (KS&E price $299) and saw a Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro at $429 (KS&E price $349). The shop was fairly well stocked in both firearms and accessories. Everything (as far as fixtures and older accessories) had a pretty thick coating of nicotine on them and the whole shop smelled of smoke. During my visit neither employee ever said a word to me and I walked out thinking that I had no reason to ever return. So..... that's it. Maybe they treat their regulars better. But that raises the question.... "Why would one want to become a regular"??? :dunno: & :twocents:
    :cheers:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    FWIW - I took a little drive yesterday and wheeled-in to this place to take a look. Walked in and the two guys behind the counter (one was helping a customer fill out paperwork and the other was taking inventory or something) looked up. I smiled and nodded and they looked at me like I had three heads. No nod, no greeting, no acknowledgment at all. As I looked around the shop I did some price checking as compared to my local shop (KS&E) and found their prices to be pretty high. They had new S&W Sigmas at $399 (KS&E price $299) and saw a Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro at $429 (KS&E price $349). The shop was fairly well stocked in both firearms and accessories. Everything (as far as fixtures and older accessories) had a pretty thick coating of nicotine on them and the whole shop smelled of smoke. During my visit neither employee ever said a word to me and I walked out thinking that I had no reason to ever return. So..... that's it. Maybe they treat their regulars better. But that raises the question.... "Why would one want to become a regular"??? :dunno: & :twocents:

Thanks for saving me the trip! :yesway:

Ed and Darrel at KS&E, Bob down at PSS both seem to have about the best prices I've found in central Indy. And both shops acknowledge the customer. Heck Ed and Darrel even throw in the entertainment for free :):

:twocents:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Thanks for saving me the trip! :yesway:

Ed and Darrel at KS&E, Bob down at PSS both seem to have about the best prices I've found in central Indy. And both shops acknowledge the customer. Heck Ed and Darrel even throw in the entertainment for free :):

My pleasure and.... very true!!!! :rockwoot:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I go to crack shot about once a week for about a year now. Prices are high but they will deal. I found the same thing when I first started going in there not freindly sometimes (I think its just Anderson mentality, used to be a lot of money in this town and now its gone). I get that at a lot of gun shops so I just speak up and start asking questions they will come around. If they are with a customer it can be difficult to get there attenetion and that does **** me off but its the only gun shop in town so I go. I have bought a few guns from them but they were used so the deals were pretty good. Even regulars still have to talk them down.

AR's for 769 is not to bad of a deal with RRA lowers. The owners name is Mike and a police officer from APD works there part time, he builds all the AR,s. Not the best place to go for custom work.

Longshot7mm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I had been wondering about that place. I have driven by there a bunch of times but never stopped in. I may have to go in and see how hard they haggle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Maybe we just view it differently, but I am not necessarily bothered that the guys dont make small talk. Now, if you try to get help and they wont talk to you, then thats a problem.

When I walk into a shop, I start looking in the case. Personally, I prefer to be able to look in peace without someone chatting me up. If I have a question, I will ask. Them not talking to me doesn't make me feel lonely or unwanted. I suppose some people view it as anti-social, but I don't. Not everyone wants to make friends, and the ones who do are likely to strike up a conversation anyway.

hef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Anderson
    i go to crack shot alot and buy alot mike is a nice guy i got a nib m&p ar-15 for 649.00 better than any price i have seen including the over price fest of the indy 1500.. im not saying that your trip was successful, but everyone has good and bad days..

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    I go into Crackshot with some frequency. Mike, the owner, is a pretty nice guy. The other couple of guys I've seen work there aren't so friendly or chatty. The smoke doesn't bother me. If you don't see what you're looking for, Mike will almost always check to see if it's something he can get, and quote you a price. And for the prices? If you go in knowing what you're willing to pay, you can haggle with him. Ammo prices are a bit high though.

He does go pretty thin on buying used guns, and/or trading.

It's the only shop of it's kind in Anderson. Not the only place to buy a gun, but the only gun store... And he's been there a LONG time.

bnatc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

I've gone in there a couple of times pricing different guns, and the owner acted like if he wasn't making a sale, that he didn't have time for me. :noway:

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    In Mikes defense at Crackshot, you do have to realize what he has to deal with daily. Look at the town. Its not the most respected town or one of the best place to be, nor are some of he people around there. I frequent there a lot. He will help you. He has actually gotten to know me good enough to say what I would n wouldnt like because he knows what kind of shooting I like to do. And he will explain why I will or wont like it. I am also a new fan of PSS. Last time I was in KSE I want treated the best and they didnt have a large supply. I will go there tomorrow and see if things have changed. Pops guns on the other hand, I will no longer go to. I have NEVER been treated good there.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Good and less-good days.

Mike is a dealer. He exists to make money. I have found that he can match about any deal offered anywhere else, if you let him have your facts. He can even be shopped hard to reduce his FFL fee. He was polite enough to ASK me if he could have a customer dry-fire a Desert Eagle I had FFL-ed through him. He provided the snap-caps, and I learned a LOT about Eagles from the ensuing discussion. I got to keep the snap-caps. Another time I wanted to get set up to load .45 Colt, and he sold me a used carbide set to get it done. Of course I bought the rest of the kit and some powder and primers. C'mon guys, if you go to the dance, no girl will dance with you until you ask! It's not feasible to expect a dealer to also be a mind-reader. Now that LUDCO is gone, it's Madison County Guns, or Crack Shot for me. Both excellent shops.

BIGSHIVES1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011

The smoke is what kills it for me! Locally (Anderson) I'm not sure what else there is. I heard there is a new shop downtown, but can't come up with a name or where?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've known Mike and most of his family for a hellova long time.
    Fine people.
    I was a regular when I lived up there years ago. Like any shop I couldn't always get the deals I wanted.
    Isn't that why WE visit so many different gun shops anyway?
    Smoke, tar, nicotine, will eventually be "collectors item" coatings. Cough up the cash while you can

Top Bottom