• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    anyone buy/sell cars or craigslist or ebay?

I could use "watch out for......" tips for selling a car.

a friend sells $3,000 cars on craigs, and said his buyers pay cash. I will be selling for more than that, and I don't think it will be a cash transaction.

if you took a check/money order, how did you handle the title transfer?

did you meet at a bank so your bank guy could verify the check/MO ?

does craigslist allow listing the same car in more than one city?

bsh01bsh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    do not take a check/ money order from anyone on craigslist, that is almost always a scam to rip you off, craigslist rule= cash only, dont get scammed.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea I would have to with ebay for a higher dollar sale, because of the seller protection policies they have. I sold my one of my pullin trucks on there a year ago, and I excepted either cash or certified bank check( if they wanted to pay in back check we would have to go to my bank to make sure it cleared an I got my money before I signed over the title. Hope this helps

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    do not take a check/ money order from anyone on craigslist, that is almost always a scam to rip you off, craigslist rule= cash only, dont get scammed.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would also mention the increased use of fake currency
    on larger cash purchases.

Making the transfer at your local Bank is suggested.
    They can quick count the cash on their bill counter,
    which also detects fake bills.

It sucks that our world has evolved into this.

There is a lot of funny money floating around.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Sold this on Craigslist to a couple from Ohio, accepted a cashiers check on his bank, when said check cleared my bank, I mailed the title to them.
    Didn't pay have to Ebay a penny :rockwoot:everything went as smooth as silk.

mx5b.jpg

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have sold a bit of stuff on both. You probably would be able to get a higher dollar amount and have it seen by more people on ebay. If you choose craigslist cash only or bank transaction so it can be verified. Just remember craigslist is about 90% low ballers and can be very frustrating.

Revelations

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    NW IND/ Tampa Bay
    I have bought and sold both cars and motorcycles on Craigslist. It takes time and you have to weed through the spam and lowballers but it can be done.

Cash only or bank transfer is the best way. But have started hearing about fake currency being used for these kind of transaction so plan accordingly.

Good luck with your sale.

bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    go with ebay for sure....i have bought a couple motorcycles on craigslist and they were ok but i wouldnt want to sell on there due to the risk you take as the seller. ebay will protect the seller and you dont have to deal with the scams and people that dont really want the item.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    thanks for the responses. it is looking like ebay is preferred. I don't mind ebay making a few bucks off the sale.
    Yea I would have to with ebay for a higher dollar sale, because of the seller protection policies they have.
    I don't see how ebay can protect me if I get a fake check, sign over the title, and they drive off in the car. unless you meant getting back ebay fees, which would be a minor issue.
    You probably would be able to get a higher dollar amount and have it seen by more people on ebay.
    you had me at "higher dollar amount". :D

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    you might also try autotrader. i bought my f150 from a guy from southbend. They have a great website really easy to search for cars. If i were selling a higher priced item i would use them

Top Bottom