• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Incidents like this might slow down that type of thievery. Only thing missing was a heavier caliber.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Three men began to assault them, and Jon Vanderwiel, who has a license to carry a concealed firearm, warned them he was armed.

Why would you do this?
    Don't people learn from TV shows growing up that dialogue is a waste of time.....literally.

Then of course, after 2 men were shot in the chest...
    All three fled and the Vanderwiels called police.
    They should have never gotten up.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've had deer run 50-100 yards with both lungs shot through and the heart completely destroyed. There's about a minute or two of potential fight left in anyone without a major CNS hit.

It's said deer and humans are very much the same, very difficult to kill just as you are saying here... Idk about the heart but our cardiovascular systems are strong and run hard for awhile.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It's said deer and humans are very much the same, very difficult to kill just as you are saying here... Idk about the heart but our cardiovascular systems are strong and run hard for awhile.

Oh, with your heart in shreds you certainly are going to die unless you happen to be in an operating theater, but it may take a few minutes. There's 5-10 seconds worth of consciousness even with total decapitation due to oxygen left in the tissues, especially with an adrenaline dump going on. So even with sudden loss of blood pressure a person potentially can still fight or run away for a little while even if the wound is ultimately irreversibly fatal. Of course, it's also possible that said person will drop and be DRT, but if I am in a fight for my life I am not going to gamble my life on it.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    No way. Gun magazines since at least the 90s have told me the j-frame isn't enough.

Well, to be accurate, they were apparently one-shot psychological, not physiological stops. Apparently they made it to arraignment with bandaids and new clean underwear.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Most shots are, even those that are fatal later.

This is one thing I have tried to imprint on my brain. not being psychologically stopped in a fight could mean the difference between survival and death. Take for example the perp in this story.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFtwyrDdgXCczJDhRpZVJxYn61EoQ

In this free-for-all, the assailant had, in fact, been struck 14 times. Any one of six of these wounds — in the heart, right lung, left lung, liver, diaphragm, and right kidney — could have produced fatal consequences…“in time,” Gramins emphasizes.

When the suspect bent down to peer under the car, Gramins carefully established a sight picture, and squeezed off three controlled bursts in rapid succession.

Each round slammed into the suspect’s head — one through each side of his mouth and one through the top of his skull into his brain. At long last the would-be cop killer crumpled to the pavement.

Remarkably, the gunman was still showing vital signs when EMS arrived. Sheer determination, it seemed, kept him going, for no evidence of drugs or alcohol was found in his system.

He was transported to a trauma center where Gramins also was taken. They shared an ER bay with only a curtain between them as medical personnel fought unsuccessfully to save the robber’s life.

Top Bottom