• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As a symptom of having too much time on my hands, I was considering the popularity among INGO people of building ARs in assorted calibers including a couple of .30s, the popularity of the Mosin-Nagant, and the cheapness of 7.62x54R, then considered that one manufacturer a few years ago came out with a long AR receiver to accommodate .30/06, and asked myself "Why not an AR in 7.62x54R?" I don't know that my own interests run that direction, but it seemed to be a fun question to throw out and see whether you all think is sounds like a good idea or think in need a conical hat and a stool in the corner of the room.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I've been wishing for that for a long time! I've wanted a sapr ar but affording to feed it with 308 is a little out of my budget.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I think the general, internet consensus (take that with a grain of salt) was that 54R due to its rim would be difficult to make run in an AR platform; something about clambering and extraction issues using the AR style bolt. I think it would be a cool idea.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If we're going to redesign an AR-15 (perhaps AR-10 would be better) to feed rimmed cartridges then I want one in .303 British. Because that's how I roll.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    You would need a MASSIVE bolt to go around that rim, along with a wider than average ejection port.

Cool idea, but not as economical as you might think. Do able, most definitely, expensive, hell yes!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Go stand in a corner. It is a silly, non-productive idea. A rimmed cartridge is so 1890's. :):

I just have to go to the corner? You're going to let me off the hook without a dunce cap? :):

Seriously, you see what happens when I have too much time on my hands. I am hoping to have my eye in good enough shape to get back to work soon in accordance with the CFR, but I am not there yet.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I wanted an AR in 300 win mag and then at the NRA show I saw my dream
    gun!! Might get one eventualy.

Case head diameter is .532 on the .300 Win Mag. The rim diameter is .509 on the 7.62x54R and and .540 on the .303 British. A talented tinkerer may be able to make it work using the bolt designed for the .300 Win Mag.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If one looks at the bolt head on a PSL or a PKM, you'll find out why it's kinda difficult to do so in an AR style platform, bolt action, single shot or not. Size, like alot of things in life, matters.

The secondary issue is stuff like the Tokarev 1911 and AR conversions: Was awesome with 80 rounds of that ammo was $4-5. Nowadays, not so much. When the surplus dries up, people start losing interest. Sure, 7.62x54R is here to stay, due to the glut of rifles shooting it, but IMHO, a potential import ban would cripple the choices on the market for that ammo. The lack of "precision" made ammo is a situation to contend with: Not alot of choices, but consider the weapons firing it: Not precise. Sure, Mosins CAN be accurate, but the accurate ones are outnumbered 1-10 with the sewer pipe bored models.

That being said, I'm still waiting for someone to make an ECONOMICAL .308 or .260 Remington bolt action conversion for an AR. Seems like it's either buy a bolt action rifle (okay, fun, I guess...) or buy an AR10 (and screw with magazines, price, etc...). I can see this being done for $500 for the upper if someone gets their stuff straight. Combine that with a lower with a Geiselle, you've got a real winner.

Dudelittle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Attica
    I had this thought last week..haha. at least im not the only on with an imagination. Then i was thinking with how nasty Mil-surplus is ,that it would be hell on the gas system. My 2cents

Top Bottom