• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I own many some 39a's some Mounties some 1894's including a one of 251 stainless laminate 1894 in 44 mag. (Snorko had the same one in 45 long colt)...

And I would still have it if it had been another caliber. heck, I wish I still had it anyway.

Last edited:

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Crazy MARLIN prices

I have an " MARLIN 1895 Guide gun, 45-70 cal. , Ballard Style rifling, Ported Barrel, " JM " marked on left side of barrel. Has had less than a box of ammo through it. Been sitting in my safe collecting dust for about 10 years. What kind of prices are these bringing nowadays? Thanks, Mike T

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    I have a 336-44 magnum with saddle ring and marlin scope. Sweet shooting gun! Bought it for $450 3 years ago. When I bought it, I thought it was just a 1894. Got it home and saw the markings on it when I was cleaning it. I may have stumbled on a good buy!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have an " MARLIN 1895 Guide gun, 45-70 cal. , Ballard Style rifling, Ported Barrel, " JM " marked on left side of barrel. Has had less than a box of ammo through it. Been sitting in my safe collecting dust for about 10 years. What kind of prices are these bringing nowadays? Thanks, Mike T

The guide guns are bringing 750 and up. With yours being ported it is a love hate thing with ported guns for
    most people. Many think one shot and your hearing is damaged beyond repAir. The next guy wants the fast follow up shot and says is is quieter than a non ported gun.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a 336-44 magnum with saddle ring and marlin scope. Sweet shooting gun! Bought it for $450 3 years ago. When I bought it, I thought it was just a 1894. Got it home and saw the markings on it when I was cleaning it. I may have stumbled on a good buy!
    The 336-44 was Marlins first attempt to bring out a 44 mag rifle before the reintroduction of the 1894. With the longer action and the addition of extra parts they got the 44 mag to work in a 336 action. Bad thing is that it did not work very well. The longer stroke of the lever requires a heavy stroke to feed and the lifter is finicky when the bullets come out of the tube.

These rifles do have some collector value as they made them only for two years. The one I have shot worked very well other than the very long lever stroke compared to a 1894.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The Marlin 94 is a popular rifle in Cowboy Action Shooting. When tuned for competition, it's all-in cost is $500+ less than an Uberti 73 rifle. Remington screwed the pooch on product quality, so older Marlins, especially Cowboy Ltd's with ballard rifling, are going for a healthy premium. Add the local interest in hunting with pistol calibers and you have a built-in excess demand.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The Marlin 94 is a popular rifle in Cowboy Action Shooting. When tuned for competition, it's all-in cost is $500+ less than an Uberti 73 rifle. Remington screwed the pooch on product quality, so older Marlins, especially Cowboy Ltd's with ballard rifling, are going for a healthy premium. Add the local interest in hunting with pistol calibers and you have a built-in excess demand.

That's it in a nutshell......

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't really understand why people are paying such high premiums for the marlins especially in the pistol calibers. Back when IN first allowed pistol cartridge rifles for deer hunting I had the same old Puma/Legacy 92 vs Marlin debate that you've all probably seen all over the internet already. Back then I think it was about a $50 difference between the two rifle give or take a little and I went with a 92. I'd already owned several marlin rifles and wanted to try something different. Unless a guy really wants a scope lever action I don't see why somebody wouldn't just buy a 92.

The henry's are expensive, and I never understood why until I worked the action on one. Wow, the Henry guns are just such fine pieces of art and craftsmanship that I couldn't bring myself to take it out in the rain and get it scratched up while out hunting. For the same money between what Marlins sell for now or a Henry, I'd spend the money on an all American Henry.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Expensive Marlins.
    bigcopilotred11.jpg

Wild West Guns CoPilot in .457 WWMagnum/45-70 – Stainless$2600.00
    Wild West Guns CoPilot in .457 WWMagnum/45-70 – Parkerize or Matte Blue$2400.00
    Wild West Guns CoPilot in .50 Alaskan – Stainless$3200.00
    Wild West Guns CoPilot in .50 Alaskan – Parkerize or Matte Blue$3000.00
    Also available in 30/30, 35 Rem, 44 mag, 357 and 45 Colt – Stainless$2600.00
    Also available in 30/30, 35 Rem, 44 mag, 357 and 45 Colt – Parkerize or Matte Blue$2400.00
    Deduct $385.00 if you provide us with your rifle

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    The 336-44 was Marlins first attempt to bring out a 44 mag rifle before the reintroduction of the 1894. With the longer action and the addition of extra parts they got the 44 mag to work in a 336 action. Bad thing is that it did not work very well. The longer stroke of the lever requires a heavy stroke to feed and the lifter is finicky when the bullets come out of the tube.

These rifles do have some collector value as they made them only for two years. The one I have shot worked very well other than the very long lever stroke compared to a 1894.

I have never had any feeding issues with mine. You do have to rack it like you mean it.

I was told that the saddle ring made it more desirable. I have no plans of selling it. Just nice to have something desirable.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    I know when the Freedom Group took over and production was moved to the Remington plant quality went down hill, but what the heck is up with the prices of "JM" marked pistol caliber 1894's?

I picked up a standard 1894c .357 in great shape locally for what I thought was just a good but not great price. I started checking online listings. Found one with 21 bids sitting at $840 and the reserve is not even met! Marlin 1894 C .357 Magnum JM stamp 18.5" barrel : Lever Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Gets even crazier if you look at rarer models such as the 1894cp. I bought one for $700 a year ago or so and thought I'd overpaid. Two have sold recently for over $1,100 with strong bid numbers.

So what kind of prices are you all seeing for "JM" marked lever guns in .357?

I sold my JM marked Marlin 1894c, 357mag for $675, (like new in box), about a month ago.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hope two deer don't trot by ;)

Even if there's just one, multiple good hits are fun!

Currently I run a single shot, but that doesn't mean i don't love running a revolver or rifle/SG of pump or auto :)

I had a .44 mag Marlin back in '07 or '08. It shot well, no probs............just didn't care for it. But then I have a fondness for a certain
    Ruger.44 rifle.

Hosshauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Clinton
    I just refuse to pay a ridiculous price for anything. I'll wait until prices return to earth. I don't need anything bad enough to pay over fair value. Just me I guess.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I just refuse to pay a ridiculous price for anything. I'll wait until prices return to earth. I don't need anything bad enough to pay over fair value. Just me I guess.

While I agree to a point, this ain't like the .22 LR craze. The Marlin "JM" lever guns are considered superior to current manufacture and the supply is now fixed.

Top Bottom