• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teejay422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Muncie
    I was at Wilbur Wright shooting range this past Sunday and noticed several people put on edge by a guy that was hanging out there. He seemed to be somewhat related to the DNR / Range Officer they had on shift. The first thing I picked up on was this guy's habit of walking up on people when they were on the firing line. Then he would interrogate people on what kinds of guns they brought, what caliber, what they used them for, and what else they had (whether with them or still back home). Then he would offer his own regurgitation of something he once heard or read about said firearms. This went on for a while but then he approached me. I was halfway through a mag on my new Draco Champion pistol when I could feel someone standing too close. I peered over my left shoulder, and there was the creeper standing behind me waiting to interject. Immediately he asked me what I was shooting, then the RO came over. They at first told me that my rifle was not allowed on the pistol range. I informed them both that it was not a rifle, it was registered as a pistol. I did let him know it is chambered in 5.56 Nato but that according to the posted rules caliber made no difference. The RO read back over the rules on the sheet of paper he was handing out and agreed with me. But the creeper continued to hound me about what I was shooting and insisted I let him fire a few rounds. I told him I wasn't comfortable with that. Later, we took my AR over to the rifle range and here comes the same guy ready to pester more shooters. He again approached me and asked all about my rifle then went on to explain the different guns he shot in basic training. He was a lot less than just misinformed on the subject of service rifles and their civilian counterparts, but offered a lot of information. Again he asked to shoot my rifle and i declined politely. But I continued to watch as he bothered almost every other group at the range. Has anyone else run into this? It put quite a damper on the whole range-trip experience.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would have complained to the RO, and then asked that he be removed from the range. what if he had startled you and you fired a shot in a random direction?

a hazard on the range is a hazard, no matter what it is.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    wow ...

Was he just bothersome or was it more than that? Did he set off that little buzzer in your head? You know, the same buzzer that tells you to cross the street or get out of the elevator to avoid someone.

teejay422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Muncie
    It was definitely the "BING BING BING" ---> this guy probably shouldnt be around guns alarm going off.

wow ...

Was he just bothersome or was it more than that? Did he set off that little buzzer in your head? You know, the same buzzer that tells you to cross the street or get out of the elevator to avoid someone.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    It was definitely the "BING BING BING" ---> this guy probably shouldnt be around guns alarm going off.

Yep. I figured it was a bit of both since most gunnies love to talk shop and share their toys. Your instinct told you to do neither. Whether it was unfounded or not doesn't matter, it was a good call on your part.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was there yesterday, and yes, the guy was just as OP described.

He was possibly developmentally disabled or raised with little to no social skills.

It was incredibly crowded yesterday and the RO may have had his hands full, but he should keep a better eye on his little buddy.

Lots o' mosin-nangants out there yesterday. I didn't have mine.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Sometimes you just have to wonder IF people are thinking....and sometimes, you just know that they aren't.

My first thought when you started talking about this guy was to make sure that all my guns were either in holsters attached to me, or locked in my car....don't want something "walking off."

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I would be very concerned about this guy being around the bench when everybody was down range hanging targets. At our range theysay no loaded guns down range. But I have my 642 IWB just because you never know who's around.

Once we had a guy walk off with a muzzle loader when we were down range.

You have to admit - there are some strange people around the range sometimes.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I would be very concerned about this guy being around the bench when everybody was down range hanging targets. At our range theysay no loaded guns down range. But I have my 642 IWB just because you never know who's around.

Once we had a guy walk off with a muzzle loader when we were down range.

You have to admit - there are some strange people around the range sometimes.

I keep one IWB at all time, including the range for sure. I just want to make sure I have at least 1 gun at ready constantly.

ftbstrd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    creeper

I was there Saturday and Sunday, and yes he was there. I am not to impressed with the ro he sat in his truck playin with a gameboy! He was paying no attention to anyone!
    As far as the "creeper" goes he was driving everyone nuts!
    He must live close cause he rides his bike there. I am no Garand expert but he claims to have sold a m1 garand tanker 16" bbl for $7000 it was one of 500 made :rolleyes: and not so sure they were ever made.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We call his kind a "Holster Sniffer" The type that wants to 'relate" at any cost but is just a quirky pain in the rear. They are everywhere, some even work at gun stores!!!

A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    I've experienced folks like that as a musician and a toolmaker. It's amazing how many people want to wax 'knowledgable' on stuff when you're right in the middle of doing something that takes concentration (or you'd at least wish to be left in peace while you did it).
    Best case he's probably socially disfunctional in some way. Worst case, he's a few fries shy of a Happy Meal.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom