• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigchis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I am just getting into reloading for my rifles and the reloading manuals I have read aren't real clear as to what rounds need to be crimped or not. I am reloading 5.56 for my ar, 22-250 for a bolt action remington 700, and .308 for a semi-auto rifle. I have looked at several reloading manuals and they leave it pretty open and I don't want to screw anything up. thanks.

bigchis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Thanks, I was getting a little frustrated that the reloading manuals wouldn't say for sure :wallbash:. I knew I could count on getting good info from this site.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Depends on the type of bullet. I don't crimp boat-tailed bullets unless they have a groove for that (ie FMJ). No reason to spoil the aero-dynamics of a superb Sierra Match-King. On the other hand, if your using flat based bullets and need to flare the neck, you'll need to crimp them. It's already been mentioned about crimping bullets, to be loaded into a tubular magazine in order to prevent recoil from pushing them deeper into the case. For the same reason DONT use pointy bullets in a tubular mag either, or they might act like firing pins!

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    341   0   1
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    as i stated before i do crimp my 30-30. when im doing it i wonder if its really nessessary. it is out of a tube feed is why i do it. any thoughts

Any round being fired from either a cylinder or a tubular magazine MUST have a crimp to prevent bullet setback / cartridge elongation from recoil.

bigchis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I am loading a flat based 55gr v-max bullet for my 22-250. Not sure if this is a good bullet for this gun but I am trying it. I did not flare the case mouth. Maybe I should have flared them, but they seemed to seat in ok without any problems.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I am loading a flat based 55gr v-max bullet for my 22-250. Not sure if this is a good bullet for this gun but I am trying it. I did not flare the case mouth. Maybe I should have flared them, but they seemed to seat in ok without any problems.

I've never flared a bottleneck rifle round - you did fine.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK

Chamfer yes flare no.

Hornady makes a lot of good bullets and the 55 vmax is all right. I'd rather use the 50 as it has wee less bearing surface.

Last edited:

mikeplan14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just started reloading rifle a couple years ago. I've loaded about two thousand Hornady boat-tails in 223 so far, never crimped a one, and never had an issue.

Top Bottom