• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    Trying to find out if they make them for Ruger P90's but have been unsuccessful finding them so far. Also, does anybody have any bad opinions of them?:dunno:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    From what I've read, Crimson trace and Laser Max are the better ones. A lot of people love both, but I think there are more people who would rather not have lasers at all. You tend to depend on them too much.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    there are tons of threads on this exact topic.

i have a few sets of ct grips. i love them, but also pratice with iron sights because i would hate to need the gun with grips on it in a self defence senerio and pull it out only to find a dead battery.

RedDot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    kimber ultra carry II

I've got a set on the SP101 in my avatar, and a set on a Kimber Ultra Carry II, and have nothing but good to say about them.

did you get that from gander? I had my eye on one there but it was 2x what I was looking to spend but it was definitely the apple of my eye.

I ended up with the bersa thunder .380 with crimson trace and the bullets go boom right where the red dot is every time, straight out of the box.

t!

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    No, I got my Kimber @ the Indy 1500 a couple years ago. I think I had to give about $1100 for it. If I remember right, it was from Midwestern up north.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Have them on my LCP and my M&P 9C. They sure do help when you have poor farsighted eyes and all you see is a blur when you try to use the iron sights. Not real sure yet but I will probably end up putting them on all my handguns in the future.

kaforgey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Camden
    I am planning to eventually put them on all of the guns I have. I have played with 3 different guns that have them and was thoroughly impressed with them.

Iron22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Plainfield
    I also have them on my SP 101 love them but it was hard to finally put down the money for them I could never find a discount price on them

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    The grips are good because they don't take up any extra room. Great for the range or practice. A little pricey, but if you can swing it, it's a great toy to practice with and have on your firearm. Have them on my M&P FS.

matrxx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I 've seen sloppy shooting from a lot of shooters have Crimson trace Grips on their gun in short shooting distance .

rwbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    i have a set of crimson trace laser grips on my g19 they are excellent for self defense but when i target practice they go out of adjustment after 100 rounds or so.so when i target practice i just take them off.has anybody else had this happen?

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    i have a set of crimson trace laser grips on my g19 they are excellent for self defense but when i target practice they go out of adjustment after 100 rounds or so.so when i target practice i just take them off.has anybody else had this happen?

Send them back, they will fix or replace them.

Here is a good review posted on another forum.

Crimson Trace
    Glock Model 417 Laser Grip

The first laser I purchased was the TLR-2 for my Glock 22. I carried the combo for 2 years without any malfunctions. The problem I did have with the TLR-2 was the laser off-set. Due to the distance from the bore, the range that the laser was sighted in for had to be carefully chosen. I had sighted the laser in for 15 yards and found the laser would be off at any other distance.
    With the release of the ALS holsters by Safariland I was interested in upgrading from my 6280 to a more secure holster that still allowed me to use a pistol mounted light. After speaking with Safariland they advised that a TLR-2 or X400 version of the ALS was not on the drawing boards, so I started to look for options. My Glock 22 has been reliable and did not want to switch to a non factory recoil spring, so the Lasermax was out. I had looked at the Crimson Trace Laser Grips prior; however I had read that their laser would not fit Safariland holsters. After some research I found that Crimson Trace was releasing a new laser grip for the Glock pistols in March of 2009 that claimed to be holster compliant. I attempted to locate the grips on several occasions but was unable. After contacting Crimson Trace I was advised that they had production problems and they wanted to work the bugs out prior to a release. Crimson Trace advised that the release would be pushed up to August of 09. In August I contacted Crimson Trace and was advised that the release date was being pushed to December 15, so I continued to wait. I sold my TLR-2 during this time and started carrying the TLR-1 in the ALS in November. On December 15 I called Crimson Trace and was advised that they had sold out of the grips that day, however they had only been open for business 30 minutes when I called. I was advised to wait till January 15 to call or send in my order and they would hold a unit for me. The order was sent and I was notified on January 13 that the sight was shipped. The sight arrived on January 20.

CrimsonTrace417021.jpg

CrimsonTrace417020.jpg

Included in the box was a storage bag, two spacers, hex wrench, two cleaning swabs, decals for the pistol, an instruction manual and CT decal. I had installed A-Grips on all my Glocks as the slip on grips and decal grips never stood up. Once I started to install the laser grips I found out that the A-Grips would have to be removed. The laser grips have a post that sticks out on one side of the grips that pushes the pin on the rear of the Glock grip to the left. Once the pin is pushed to the left the laser grip used the empty space the pin leaves and the exposed section of the pin to stop the laser grip from rotating or sliding down. Next you install the spacer that is installed at the beavertail section of the grip. Two sizes are included, small and large. The instructions indicate that the spacer is chosen by the design of the pistol’s beavertail. My Gen 3 Glock produced in 2000 required the small spacer. I tried the large spacer first, but found that the large spacer caused the laser to reflect off the frame and produce two dots. The large spacer also caused the laser to impact far left. After installation of the small spacer the dot was only an inch low at 25 feet and dead center. After very minor adjustment the dot was setting on the top of the front sight at 25 feet.

CrimsonTrace417028.jpg

CrimsonTrace417029.jpg

CrimsonTrace417031.jpg

CrimsonTrace417008.jpg

CrimsonTrace417012.jpg

CrimsonTrace417011.jpg

CrimsonTrace417010.jpg

Fit
    The laser grip adds .384” to the middle of the grip, .178” at the thumb indentions, .462” at the slide, .176” from the first finger grove to the beavertail and .295” added to the beavertail. Once tighten down the grip does not move. When I ordered the laser grip I had asked Crimson Trace’s LE rep if the grip laser was compatible with the Safariland ALS holster, he advised that he was not sure but would contact an agency in FL that had just purchase of the grips. The rep called me back in about 15 minutes and advised that the FL agency did not have any problems with the ALS. Once I tried the pistol in my ALS I found that the LG-417caused the pistol to not lock completely into the ALS and the hood was stiff when I attempted to rotate it. After a closer look I found that the indentation on the belt side portion of the holster was rubbing on the thumb indention of the grip and the laser diode guard was causing the holster to be spread apart. After some light sanding and trimming with a hobby knife I was able to make the ALS work. On a side note, the grip is compatible with my 6280 and 6004 without modification.

ALS Belt Side
    CrimsonTrace417003.jpg

ALS Problem Area
    CrimsonTrace417004.jpg

CrimsonTrace417005.jpg

Safariland 6280
    CrimsonTrace417016.jpg

CrimsonTrace417017.jpg

Impressions
    The activation button for the LG-417 does stick up noticeably and is very easy to activate. When attempting to hold the pistol and deactivate the laser, I feel as if I do not have a secure grip on the pistol. This may go away as the grip is used and the button wears down. I have problems with Glock 22’s wearing the skin off my right thumb joint during extended firing strings. The extended beavertail is a nice addition without permanently modifying the frame. One thing that takes getting use to is positioning the trigger finger so as to not block the laser. After years of training myself to index my trigger finger on the takedown latch, it makes for a learning curve. I have found that by placing my trigger finger between the frame and the TLR-1 switch I can still index my finger and not block the laser. The LG-417 is described as over molded and I was under the impression that the grip would be similar to their other rubber over molded grip. The actual surface of the grip is hard plastic with a rough texture. I prefer the non-slip grip of the A-Grip material and will now have to find something that will work with the laser grip. One additional item I would like to see is a holster comparability chart by Crimson Trace or holster companies.

Care
    Crimson Trace recommends that the LG-417 be removed prior to cleaning the firearm. The instructions do say that the grip is resistant to cleaning solvents, but you should avoid cleaning agents contacting the lens or internal components. The battery life of the two CR2032s is stated to be 4 hours of continuous use or 5 years of shelf life. Swabs are included to clean the lens of the laser. Crimson Trace states that the LG-417 will maintain zero even when removed.
    Range Report
    On 2-19-10 I was able to put 100 rounds through the pistol with the LG-417 attached. The conditions were far from ideal for testing a laser sight, 10-12” of snow on the ground with clear skies and a white IPSC target. I was surprised to be able to see the dot back to 15 yards even in those conditions. The sight required no additional adjustment from the initial install. No point of impact change was seen with the limited amount of rounds fired and the grips did not loosen. Point of aim/point of impact was the same from 7-15 yards. I will try additional ranges in the future under different conditions.
    Plain Clothes and Court Carry
    I had been looking for a security holster option to carry my Glock 22 with the LG-417 and TRL-1 during court and plain clothes details. I had heard that the Safariland ALS 6378 had a light option, but could not find one until recently. While at the local cop shop I was finally able get the product code.
    After some online searching I found a company carrying them and placed an order. Once the holster arrived I was glad to see the holster came with both the paddle back and belt loop options. Due to fit problems with my 6360 duty holster and Glock 22 with LG-417, I expected the same problems with the 6378. The pistol would lock in the holster, but only with considerable down pressure. After inspecting the holster I found the same problem as the 6360, the LG-417 interfered with the belt side indention that fills the thumb grove. After some light shaving with my hobby knife, and light rough sanding and finish sanding I was able to get the holster to function properly.

Fit
    The paddle back fits tightly on the belt and requires me to remove my belt to get it off. I am not a fan of paddle backs, especially if there is a risk of actual hand to hand confrontations such as court and plain clothes details so I switched to the belt loops. When I went to switch out the paddle for the belt loops I found three different hex screws, a spacer of some type and the belt loop included in the package. I searched through the instructions and could not find the instructions for installing the belt loops. I took a chance and installed the spacer against the holster and placed the belt loops over the spacer. So far it seems to work.
    Impressions
    The holster body is sturdy and uses the STX plain finish. I have had great luck with this finish on my duty belt and it stands up to use. The fit of the pistol in the holster is excellent with only minor movement up and down. Due to carrying the 6360 on duty the 6378 is easy to use and just as fast to draw from. The belt loops have the spacers to allow a belt larger than 1.5” to be used, however once you clip them out you unable to reinstall them. An instructor belt still has some movement, but I believe this will be a good thing with using a stiff belt. I have just started using the ALS system and so far I am impressed.

CrimsonTrace417034.jpg

CrimsonTrace417033.jpg

CrimsonTrace417037.jpg

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I think it depends on the gun.

They dont work out so well on a Glock <as you can see> but on a gun with removable side panels....

they are awesome.

lg476.jpg

They ARE a benefit, no doubts about that.

Just because you have them, doesnt mean you suddenly stop practicing any other way.

It adds options, options are good, and it can be turned off or covered up.

Heres a scenario.

---

3am

<crash>

<my wife gets up out of bed, grabs my gun out of the dresser drawer>

<I grab the shotgun>

all she has to do it hold the gun, and a laser is showing where she is aiming. This is a huge confindence builder for the un-trained. she wont, focus on the front sight, line up night sights, or do any of that if a huge man crashes into our bedroom, I garuntee that.

Not to mention, its fun shooting from non-sighted positions, across your chest like in a carjacking, etc.

The people who say they dont like it, either havent tried a set or cant afford it. OR.... maybe they are 1911 guys and love their cocobolo, double diamond, 3000 lpi, inset scrimshaw designer grips too much :popcorn:

Thats my opinion and I am stickin to it :)

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I have two CT laser grips on a S&W M&P .40c and a 642 revolver. I use them as a tool to help with my aim as the sights are blurry with bifocal glasses and old eyes, I'll take all the help I can get.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have both Crimson Trace and LaserMax. I Have LaserMax on a Glock 19 and Crimson Trace on a S&W 1911Sc. I do like the Crimson Trace the best.

My 30 foot groups have opened up to about six inches because of old eyes. The laser sights brought them back to two inches. Plus they are useful for shooting from odd positions where you can not get a good sight picture.

Change the batteries once a year and the odds of them failing you is less then being hit by falling space junk.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I've seen and held the Crimson Trace installed on a wheel gun
    Very impressive to say the least for many reasons.

One that a few might not think of is the lady of the house
    might feel more comfortable knowing that all she has to do is point and shoot.

Personally, I think it's an outstanding option to be added if available.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    I have Crimson Laser's on several handguns. I like em for self protection / CC. Like em VERY much for my wife and her house gun.

Top Bottom