• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDay47

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Any one have an opinion on Hornady Critical Defense ammo? I bought some 40's for my carry and shot them through a Glock and a Sig this weekend. Didn't group near as well as HydroShoks.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I'm wanting to try the .40 in my G23 the next time I switch out my carry ammo, but I've been pleased with the .38 +P offerings in my J-frame. Accuracy seems fair, the recoil is mild and it doesn't produce the watermelon-sized ball of fire that some other rounds do.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Hydra-Shok = old technology = often/usually fails to expand when fired through clothing.
    There are options available these days that peform more consistently.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I've never thought "grouping" ability was really all that important in defense ammo. Expansion and energy deposit, yes. Match grade accuracy? No.

If you need to take enough shots in a S/D situation that you can look at the perp for groups, you were in deep in the S%^*

rayf268

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    ft wayne
    I've never thought "grouping" ability was really all that important in defense ammo. Expansion and energy deposit, yes. Match grade accuracy? No.

If you need to take enough shots in a S/D situation that you can look at the perp for groups, you were in deep in the S%^*

I would think that is the most important aspect of and round you are risking your life on. who cares if the bullet expanded or energy deposit if you don't hit where you are aiming.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I would think that is the most important aspect of and round you are risking your life on. who cares if the bullet expanded or energy deposit if you don't hit where you are aiming.

Bullet placement is important, no doubt. But so far, this thread hasn't provided any context. The OP merely said, "didn't group near as well." Which doesn't tell us much. It would be more helpful to know how large the groups were and at what distance. Specifics are always helpful!

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Bullet placement at "Point of Aim" is important. Being able to put 5 rounds into the same hole is NOT. As a matter of fact, my position is that it is detrimental. What is the point of damaging the same tissue five times. You're not going to make a whole lot of difference putting multiple rounds in the exact same place.

Additionally - no distances were provided. being able to group shots up at 25 rounds just plain doesn't matter in a S/D situation. If the target looked like buckshot at 7 yards - that's a problem. Distances beyond that - I would say not. Look how B-27's are scored. You've got a LOT of real estate to work with and still acheive a kill shot.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Hydra-Shok = old technology = often/usually fails to expand when fired through clothing.
    There are options available these days that peform more consistently.

But I'll still take an old fashioned round that is markedly more accurate over a more modern round that exhibits lackluster accuracy.

I'm still a fan to this day of the Federal 9BP round, for example. Sterling accuracy in just about every 9mm I ever fired it in, and equally sterling function even in guns designed for ball. Not to mention, it's got a decent track record, even though it's most definitely old school technology.

Not to mention, you can buy 50 of them today for what 20 more modern rounds cost. IOW, it's carry ammo you can actually afford to practice with.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I carry them, and thankfully had not need to use them, except at the range. I have never had a failure to feed, which I think is very important and typical for jhp.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Any one have an opinion on Hornady Critical Defense ammo? I bought some 40's for my carry and shot them through a Glock and a Sig this weekend. Didn't group near as well as HydroShoks.

:+1:: At least you TEST FIRED your self defense ammo enough to know the difference. Rep'd for that. I shot the Hornady C.D.in my 9, accuracy as good as any other Name JHP.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    +1 for Joe and Bisley

Wish I had a local source for a quantity of 9BP. Love that round. Economical and effective.

I've heard so much silliness about people loading up their new carry pieces with a mag full of the newest most expensive whizbang ammo and never function checking. Seems like a good way to find yourself in a pine box.

Chippp1961

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    Southern Indiana

I participated in this session.Range was aprox 20 yards and fired slow fire by myself and DDay.WWB was used for a comparison on this day.
    With both the Sig and the Glock
    WWB shot aprox a 3inch 5 shot group
    Hornady CD shot aprox a 10 to 11 in. 5 shot group
    The Glock did do just a little better than the Sig

Did not expect Match grade accuracy from Defense Ammo but did expect it to have at least shoot comparably with WWB practice ammo.

Expansion,Knock down Power ,Velocity ect doesn't matter if you cant hit it

In previous sessions Hydro Shocks grouped similiar to WWB

We were not Target practicing with defence ammo just wanted to make sure that it would run in his guns and compare their Defensive accuracy.

Everything Doesn't happen at 7 yards

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN

+1. If I cant punch a ragged hole at 25', it doesn't matter whether its RN, JHP, or Gold Dot, I'm not carrying it.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    i posted another thread kinda pretaining to this. i wasn't using critical defense but TAPs. had a failure to fire that i chambered twice. two rounds i had trouble with. both i chambered twice and one went and the other didn't. i'll be calling hornady tomorrow with a very lively complaint. needless to say, maybe i bought the bad one out of 1 million but if my skins on the line, i don't trust hornady right now. critical defense compares well with some of the other top brands but i'm gonna spend a little more and get winchester ranger or golden saber from now on. more to your point, i wouldn't worry so much about real tight groups as much as functionality and reliability. if it feels good it must be good!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Correct, the newer Federal HST2 rounds take care of that.

yup! :ingo:

HST%20Top.jpg

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I've had real good results with Ranger T's in both 40 and 9mm. The accuracy has been right there with about anything.

DDay47

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Thanks for the input & to you Chip for clarifying what we were doing. The ammo fed and ejected fine, I just think its important to know where your shot is going whether its at 7 yards or 20 yards.

Top Bottom