• swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    Not an isolated problem:

Problem with Hornady Critical Defense - 1911Forum

Malfunction drills are more than just a good idea.

I had several posts in that thread - had 2 out of the first 10 rounds of 9mm Critical Defense with no-fires in my PT-709. However, I've fired a good amount of additional 9mm, .45ACP, and .357 Magnum CD without any issues. Not sure if it was a short term problem or if I've just been lucky since. I have CD in all of my carry guns, but I most definitely practice malfunction drills.

EDIT: I just re-read that thread, and I said I'd stay away from CD. Well, the crow doesn't taste too bad! But since that thread, I've put enough CD through several handguns without any no-fires to convince myself that this is not a major issue. That's why I now have it in all my carry guns - including the PT-709.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Well, with an reputable company like Hornady, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a problem isolated to a particular lot or some such thing. I'd expect them to correct it quickly once discovered.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Not a big shocker.

I've had two rounds of Hornady CD go "click" on me. Both had good primer strikes. The first was the chambered carry round in my Glock 19 at the range. That is a really sick feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when that happens. The second was from the same lot at the range the next day. I contacted Hornady and sent them the rest of the lot. They replaced the ammo but I've heard nothing since. I rotate my PD ammo through as often as I can but you just never know when it will fail. I now keep some good ole 230 gr ball ammo in my 1911. Thousands of dead german and japanese soldiers can't be wrong.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Hornady had a recall on 500 S&W ammo earlier this year, so having issues with CD isn't out of the realm of possiblility.

They were too busy cranking out V Maxs with green tips and putting them is special boxes to notice that their QC was slipping.

Top Bottom