• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    decided that i have been sans-AR15 for too long. going to finish building the lower ive had sitting around for years. its a budget build, but i didnt want it to LOOK (or function) as such. looking for some input or experiences with it, so i dont end up with something i wont be happy with.

i am still undecided on sights - will most likely look out for a set of used flipup irons, and cowitness with some sort of red dot/mag combo.

Lower: Stag arms
    LPK: honestly dont know - have had it for a while, but pins and springs tend to be fairly simple to produce...
    Trigger: RRA 2 stage NM (had it in my last AR, 0 problems after over 5k rds)
    Grip: Hogue w/ beavertail
    Upper: aero precision flat top
    BCG: SAA NiB F/A
    Buffer assy: not sure what to use - 16" barrel w/ mid gas?
    Stock: mission first tactical battlelink minimalist
    Barrel: aero precision stainless 1/8 wylde
    Forend: UTG Pro 4/15 rifle length super slim free float

any input, folks? so far it looks like i will have to drop about another $750 or so to complete the project (not including sights)

Last edited:

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    It appears that you have the parts for a reasonable build. You have a good barrel and trigger so the core of your build is solid. Standard parts for the most part are much the same. The advice I have is purchase the remaining parts at the same time to minimize the shipping costs and to purchase assemblies (like buffer tube, spring and buffer) if they are available. If you choose Palmetto State Armory (PSA) they have a promotion, for Bushnell at 10% off with code Bushnell10, until the end of the month. The TRS-25 HiRise is available for $54 and should be adequate until you upgrade. I have not found much value in a magnifier for a red dot sight. Where a magnifier might be used I find a scope to be more useful.

For the buffer I would start with a carbine buffer or maybe an H buffer to finish the build. The buffer is easily changed if your AR has functioning problems.

I purchased two of the UTG Model 4/15 rail systems for budget builds. The UTG is a solid free floating hand guard and a value available for around $100.

Finish your build now while parts are inexpensive and readily available.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    I think I'll be getting the more expensive stuff soon, just in case. I have found what I believe to be the least expensive stores to buy certain things from, but I have to compare that to shipping costs.

The utg I found was about 145 (extended rifle length - 15") but I will look around a bit more.

I had a 3-9 on my last ar, it did its job well. I did find myself wanting a 1x at times. Ended up dropping a tiny red dot on a 45 adapter, but never used it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I run a 16" with a midlength gas system. H2 buffer works great for me.

But it'll depend on the gas port on that specific barrel.

Seems like a lot of guys are having good results with an H2/middy 16" setup, though.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I think I'll be getting the more expensive stuff soon, just in case. I have found what I believe to be the least expensive stores to buy certain things from, but I have to compare that to shipping costs.

The utg I found was about 145 (extended rifle length - 15") but I will look around a bit more.

I had a 3-9 on my last ar, it did its job well. I did find myself wanting a 1x at times. Ended up dropping a tiny red dot on a 45 adapter, but never used it.

I found the UTG 15" for $111 to $114 shipped.

UTG PRO 4/15 15 SPR SLIM FF HNDGRD [UTGMTU019SS] - $100.49 : Lanbo's Armory, Firearm Accessories and Tactical Gear

Leapers, Inc. - UTG Handguard, Fits AR Rifles, 15" Super Slim, Free Float, Black | Chucks Guns

If you a looking for a lower priced 1x4 scope that can be used somewhat like a red dot, this might work.

Bushnell AR Optics 1-4x 24mm Throw Down PCL,AR91424I

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    oh hot damn, thats uite a bit better! i hadnt done much shopping for it, simply saw it, liked it, saved it.

i will be looking for best prices on everything in that list for sure

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    ordered some stuff tonight - along with a couple other/extra parts.

bought a tapko stock kit because it was cheaper than the other tube assemblies i had seen, as well as the mission first stock. switched to a bushmaster upper to save a few bucks (on sale for 50 at brownells)

also ordered the hogue grip, magpul trigger guard and pin.

still need a buffer retainer to complete the lower (will stick with the GI trigger thats in there now for a bit....possibly) - they were sold out at brownells. also want to get a larger mag release button - the one i have has some slop to it that i dont like.

Top Bottom