• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    I love to bow hunt, but unfortunately, I tore my rotator cuff which has really placed a damper on things. I would still love to bow hunt, but it seems that the only bow that I would be able to manage would be a crossbow. I realize that there are limitations to using these during the regular bow season. I am not on disability or anything like that. I just want to know how to secure that "special permit" to allow me to use my crossbow during regular bow season

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://forms.in.gov/Download.aspx?id=4715

Applying for a “Persons with Disabilities Hunting Permit” requires completion of an application form and a physician’s statement of disability form. It is very important that you completely describe, in your own words, your disability in the spaces provided. This will provide us with the information on how you need to hunt. Please describe the equipment you will be using, whether or not you need to hunt from a vehicle, and any other aspect of hunting that would otherwise be illegal.

Your physician must fill out the physician’s statement of disability form completely. Your physician must describe your disability in full. We must know the extent of your disability. The following list includes the types of facts that we need to know.

1. Walking difficulties: Can you walk? If so, how far? Are you confined to a wheelchair? Do you need crutches or other walking devices to walk? Does your medical condition (such as heart disease) limit walking? How far? What is the cause of your walking difficulties? Is your disability permanent?
    2. Upper body problem: Do you have a weight-lifting limitation prescribed by your physician? Do you have problems holding and pulling a bow? If so, what are they and what is the cause? What joints are involved with movement problems? Is your condition or disability improved with medication? Is your disability permanent?

When completing the forms, please keep the following information in mind:

1. The physician’s statement of disability form must be completed and signed by your physician. It must be legible. If it is not legible, your application will be sent back to you.
    2. In addition to completing the forms, please send any other supporting documentation, which may describe your physical problems, more completely.
    3. All forms must be originals (not faxes). Any copied forms will be sent back to you.
    4. All forms must be completely filled out.
    5. The processing time for the permit is 1-2 weeks.
    6. The three most common persons with disabilities hunting permits issued are: hunting from a vehicle, using a vehicle for access (no hunting from a vehicle) and using a crossbow or draw-loc for deer hunting during archery season.
    7. Disabled hunter permits can only be issued to those individuals who would have great difficulty or be unable to hunt without special privileges.

Please call the Permit Coordinator at (317) 232-4102 if you have any questions.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL

Yes! You are correct. Not sure what I was thinkin'. :) Crossbows are legal for everybody throughout the season now.

:yesway: As well it should be. In a world of 85% plus let off and releases, we're practically using crossbows now. I'll keep using my compound but I never saw the sense in denying people who aren't necessarily disabled but lack the upper body strength from enjoying this sport.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Crossbows also are a great chance to get youngsters out in the woods when the weather is still warm as well. My young son hates that he gets left at home during bow season. He gets a taste during youth season, then has to wait until firearms before he goes out again. This gives those kids a chance to hunt during archery.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Crossbows are legal in all archery season for everyone. You will need to buy a "crossbow license" for deer or have a LTL or be a landowner hunting on your own land.

If you want to use a Draw Loc you must still be physically disabled and get a DNR permit for that useage.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I have used a crossbow for couple years now. I have torn both shoulders twice now and working toward a 3rd operation! I have the disability permit and can use a crossbow to hunt during ANY archery season. This is straight from the DNR. It is a nice little yellow card.

Top Bottom