• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Thinking of trying one,have read a lot of opinions re. what brand is best,but most are compounds. Recurve seems so much simpler; since letoff isn't a big issue,[you're not holding it back] what's the advantage w/compounds,if any?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Thinking of trying one,have read a lot of opinions re. what brand is best,but most are compounds. Recurve seems so much simpler; since letoff isn't a big issue,[you're not holding it back] what's the advantage w/compounds,if any?

Limbs aren't as long, so a compound is more compact.

Compound bows are also adjustable.

You can typically get higher draw weights with a compound bow as well.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    The Excaliber Xbows are very simple to work on and very accurate. The owner can change the string in less than a minute in the field. A compound xbow has to go to the shop that has a xbow press. I have the 175 lb. Excal Phoneix, it is fun to shoot, very accurate, not too heavy and has plenty power. A friend shot completely thru a deer at 64 yds with the 175 lb Excaliber. One more thing..IF... you dry fire a compound xbow it is very likely the bow is destroyed, not necessarily so with the Excal with the recurve limbs, maybe only the string needs replacing.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I've own and have shot both.

I had an Excalibur that was 215# pull and a TenPoint ProElite that is 185# pull. The TenPoint was ever bit as fast and as hard hitting as the Excalibur. I used to shoot both in the backyard alternating shots. By the time I was through the Excalibur was sitting over to the side and I was shhoting the TenPoint exclusively. To me the cocking was much easier with the TenPoint so I shot it more.

As far as the "changing the string in the field" - I've bowhunted since 1968 and never have I had to change a string in the field.

The TenPoint bows have an Dry Fire Inhibitor. You cant dry fire it.

Excalibur makes a fine recurve crossbow.

If you want a recurve you might also look at the TenPoint GT Flex or GT Curve.

Welcome to crossbowing no matter which way you go...

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    not an expert but have read that with crossbows you are better off with the recurve as you lose most if not all the advantages that a compound would have. Also with a compound it is not hard for the pulleys to get out of sinc while this is almost never an issue with recurve compounds.

You will likely continue to get opinions back by facts and/or perceptions.

Keep us updated and let us know which way you go and why.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    The cocking effort on a 175 Excal is fairly easy with the cocking aid. I understand all three weight Excal bows, the 175, 200 and 225 use the same limbs, they are just pulled back farther to get the extra poundage. (not sure about the 150 lb Vixen) If you are fairly short a 225 lb model would be difficult to cock as the pull length is so long.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana

The great thing about regular compound is the fact that it has great letoff where the recurve weight must be held back. So, with crossbows, it is the opposite. It is actually a mechanical disadvantage to use a compound over a recurve because the crossbow is holding all the weight. My advice would be to go with a recurve, for a crossbow.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    The cocking effort on a 175 Excal is fairly easy with the cocking aid. I understand all three weight Excal bows, the 175, 200 and 225 use the same limbs, they are just pulled back farther to get the extra poundage. (not sure about the 150 lb Vixen) If you are fairly short a 225 lb model would be difficult to cock as the pull length is so long.

I have the 200# vortex and am 5'7.

The video that comes with the Excalibur shows how to adjust the rope cocking aid to match your height. No problems

davebradley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Martinsville, IN
    I've been in the market for a while on a nice crossbow or a compound. Have some shoulder issues, but still like the feel of the compound. Would hate to buy one then not be able to use it after a few years.

bucmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    i just purchased a barnett c5 wildcat--want to get a hardcase instead of a soft.i found out some cases wont work with barnett bows because of scope height---cant wait to get a case and take it out to practice

Top Bottom