• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    So this past week I finally relieved my trusty (laugh if you want) Rock Island 1911 to backup duty, and bought myself a Glock 30S. So far I love it. It points more naturally for me, and being lighter/smaller/more rounds was the driving force behind the jump. I've already had a set of Trijicon HD sights installed, and since it has a rail...I just had to get a TLR-1s (self admitted Streamlight whore.)

Now I find myself starting from scratch on a EDC layout. I have an old Alice spare mag carrier that was perfect for a multi-tool and single Wilson Combat magazine, but naturally will not stretch around the double stack mags. I've picked up a few holsters so far, and have plans for a custom kydex rig that will accommodate the mounted light, but it's the other side of my hip that has me scratching my head. So my question is, how do you guys suggest I duplicate this:

With these pieces:

At this point I'm thinking a custom kydex sheath for the Gerber, then perhaps 2 more setups: the Gerber plus a G21 mag and another that would hold two G21 mags. I use the multi-tool daily at work so without the aid of a completely covered carrier, the single tool carrier is priority. Maybe I'm overthinking this whole thing and should just get one for the Gerber, and one for a spare mag. Better ideas? Who has a similar setup already in play? Bacon?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If it's custom anyway, why not try to figure out a way to do one holster that keeps the Gerber on the outside of your belt and the magazine on the inside?

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    So my question is which is better (preference). the 30S or the 1911. I mean one is polymer, and one is... well....steel. Does the 30s recoil differently?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I also keep a Gerber multitool on my belt, and I use it daily in my work. I've lost the tool twice now--but never the holster--so I have spares of the nylon holster. Sometimes I just wear one of the nylon holsters on each side of my belt.

If I want the multitool, I want it with my right hand. If I want a magazine, I want it with my left hand. And it's really unlikely that anyone thinks twice about you having two of the holsters, if they even notice in the first place.

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    Ashby - I honestly haven't put enough rounds through it to give an accurate answer. I took it out the night I picked it up and put about 100 rounds down range just to confirm it would feed my carry ammo properly, then fired it side by side with a friend's 30sf just because it was there (no discernable difference.) I will say the trigger is obviously night and day, but initial impressions were recoil isn't much different, with the glock being a little snappier. Results will vary, but I'll add that it was 9pm and the temp was 0°. I spend a lot of time fishing, hunting, camping, and what not so I really wanted something that would handle the elements a little better.

Josh - I like the "hide in plain sight" mindset, and will keep my eyes open for spare multi tool holsters. One thing I will add is that my Gerber diesel tends to poke holes in the bottom of cloth/nylon items, which is leading me towards the kydex option

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Josh - I like the "hide in plain sight" mindset, and will keep my eyes open for spare multi tool holsters. One thing I will add is that my Gerber diesel tends to poke holes in the bottom of cloth/nylon items, which is leading me towards the kydex option

Yes, the aftermarket cloth multitool holsters are all trash. I've never poked a hole through one of the Gerber factory ones, though.

I use the smaller Multi-plier 400. Anything I can't do with that is worth running back and grabbing a toolbag for. :)

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    Thought I would add an update just in case someone was searching for holster options for the 30s. Just received my Bravo Concealment holster from Brownells. They didn't list an option for this model, but by shear luck I clicked on the "chat with a team member" icon the other day while surfing their site. The salesman mentioned he read some reviews stating that the 30s would fit in a 19 holster. I figured worst case I could return this one, but I was pleasantly surprised that it fits like a glove. A little on the tight side, but all of the retention is on the slide and light head. Other than that it is lightweight and comfortable so I'm a happy camper.

zzephaniah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    NWI
    I also keep a Gerber multitool on my belt, and I use it daily in my work. I've lost the tool twice now--but never the holster--so I have spares of the nylon holster. Sometimes I just wear one of the nylon holsters on each side of my belt.

If I want the multitool, I want it with my right hand. If I want a magazine, I want it with my left hand. And it's really unlikely that anyone thinks twice about you having two of the holsters, if they even notice in the first place.
    I've had my gerber multitool since I was 12. great tool.

Top Bottom