• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    I have a old nagant that I have decided I am going to sporterize I know some of you don't like the idea please don't be posting leave it stock because I am going to do it and you are just wasting your time I am wanting to cut the barrel to 16" thread it and add a muzzle brake I have heard a lot of talk about crowning the barrel to make sure it is straight and removing any burrs is there something special I need to do with this or can I just use a file I think I am making it more complicated than it has to be also threading the barrel for a muzzle brake is there anything special for that or someone on here close to central Indiana that could thread it cheap that's the one thing I'm the most worried about screwing up thanks for your info in advance

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If your wanting it threaded you need to have it done at a reputable gunsmith's shop. An if you have it threaded you wont have to worry about truing or crowning the muzzle because it would be done my the machinist after the threading job.

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    If your wanting it threaded you need to have it done at a reputable gunsmith's shop. An if you have it threaded you wont have to worry about truing or crowning the muzzle because it would be done my the machinist after the threading job.

Ok I wasn't sure because I saw online you could buy the die to thread it for 35 bucks so if it was going to be much more I was just going to do that don't have a lot of money to spend on it and I'm going to get a jmek scope mount and scope for it too

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    ADCO will probably do it, they are always reasonable in cost, and do great work.
    I've had them do work for me, and I was VERY pleased with the speed and quality of work.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You don't want to try to do thread by hand. The barrel will need to be turned down to the correct size before it can be threaded. It needs to be done on a lathe. The threads are best done on the lathe as well. The machinist will do the crown at the same time. It will be worth the $$ to have a safe and neat looking job.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have a old nagant that I have decided I am going to sporterize I know some of you don't like the idea please don't be posting leave it stock because I am going to do it and you are just wasting your time I am wanting to cut the barrel to 16" thread it and add a muzzle brake I have heard a lot of talk about crowning the barrel to make sure it is straight and removing any burrs is there something special I need to do with this or can I just use a file I think I am making it more complicated than it has to be also threading the barrel for a muzzle brake is there anything special for that or someone on here close to central Indiana that could thread it cheap that's the one thing I'm the most worried about screwing up thanks for your info in advance
    That is one hell of a "sentence".

Leave it stock.

The work really needs to be done on a lathe if you want it done correctly.
    I returned to the thread to suggest you PM AllenM about it, but it seems he has already appeared. :yesway:

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I can thread and crown for you. Take it apart and bring me the bare receiver and barrel $85.00

Avon

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    I can thread and crown for you. Take it apart and bring me the bare receiver and barrel $85.00

It may b a while right now allenm u are a good 1.5 hour drive from me and I have to have surgery on my hand on Tuesday but I will definitely look u up in a few weeks

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    if you don't do the threading, it's a totally DIY job.

after cut the barrel, you can always use a sheet of paper and a machinist square to check the cut, file it straight slowly, it just takes time.

scrabing your cut ling by overlap wrapping the paper around the muzzle.

Wizard03.jpg

you don't need a lathe to re-crown the barrel, hand crowning has been around 100 years. all you need is a drill, dome head brass wood screw and lapping compound.

Gunsmithing - How to Re-Crown the Muzzle of a Winchester Model 60 By Larry Potterfield of MidwayUSA - YouTube

Top Bottom