Cruiser / Comfort Bicycles, Raleigh? Electra?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    As part of my "heart attacks suck, don't want to do that again" plan, I want to start riding a bike regularly. I actually have a nice Trek hybrid (ETA 730) but it is not as comfortable as I would like and I am wanting something with a more upright riding position.

Couple models I am looking at include Raleigh's Special or Retroglide or Electra's Cruiser or Townie models. All are one speed bikes and three of the four are aluminum frames with the Electra Cruiser being steel and the cheapest at $250. The rest are $280-$330 for the Raleighs and $420 for the Electra Townie.

This is going to be strictly a huff and puff bike for riding around the neighborhood with cooler weather commuting to work. That is only a 2.5 mile ride so a one speed cruiser is fine for that. The Electra models have a very upright position with the pedals/crank moved forward. They call it "flat footed positioning" or some such. One down side to that is it is almost impossible to stand and pedal so hills are a challenge.

I guess I am mainly looking for any opinions on lower priced cruiser bikes like the above.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Iam currently shopping for my comfort bike and the townie has it hands down. Its perfect for me just wish it was $100 cheaper..

I plan on riding some this Saturday. The Electra Cruiser looks basically like the Townie to me except it is steel not aluminum. and $150 cheaper.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I will preface what I say by stating that I am a traditionalist when it comes to bikes though not to the extreme that my bikes have to be made out of steel and have straight round tubing only. My road bike is a swoopy carbon fiber hot rod.

The idea of the forward pedals so one can stand flat-footed and remain on the seat is nice and all, but there is no reason you can't hop off the seat when you stop and put both feet flat on the ground.

You are correct that out of the saddle riding really won't work well with that type of geometry. If you have to own one, then by all means, buy it, but I think for general fitness to help make you healthy, a bike designed for general fitness or commuter riding would serve you great.

Something like a Trek FX would be a good one to look at. But it may not be more comfortable than your 720. Then again, you may just need a good fitting to make i more comfortable.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I bought a Trek 7.2 fx (I know you said you had a Trek already) with disc brakes (only because it was a $50 option to add it on) because I am overweight and don't want a heart attack. Last Sunday evening, my wife and I rode with her brother on the Monon Trail for 18.5 miles (would have done more, but rain was on the radar). What helps me with comfort is bike shorts (the ones with padding for the seat area). I honestly want to reach up to 30-35 miles per ride eventually. The issue is that my wife can't keep up with me so I have to slow down.

Since we got our bikes, we have added mirrors, lights and I have a cell phone pouch where I can use my cell phone and be weather proof. We are riding tonight after I get off work for about 6 miles. This will put me at 100 miles since I got the bike on April 11th. I used to not even be able to ride 4 miles without being worn out, now I am just getting warmed up at 4 miles.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Fwiw I Sold my trek FX after a couple of century rides because my ass hurt even with the best shorts and saddle that fit me. I have realized that a comfort bike will keep me in shape just as easily but the long 30+ mile rides are out, and I'm ok with that. I'll just be slower and that's fine with me.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    Fwiw I Sold my trek FX after a couple of century rides because my ass hurt even with the best shorts and saddle that fit me. I have realized that a comfort bike will keep me in shape just as easily but the long 30+ mile rides are out, and I'm ok with that. I'll just be slower and that's fine with me.

That is a good way to look at things. I ride a Raleigh DeTour 4.5. For me it is enjoying the ride as much as how far I ride.
    Pick whatever is comfortable to you. Just remember it takes a little time to break in your butt.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Believe it or not, the bikes with the drop bars are more comfortable on long rides than the upright ones are. It is all about fit, saddle choice and clothing. I have ridden 112 miles after swimming 2.4 miles and then followed the bike up with a marathon. Sure I was tired after over 13 hours of movement, but if the bike had "hurt" me due to fit and/or clothing and conditioning, there is no way I would have been able to run the 26.2 miles.

That is a good way to look at things. I ride a Raleigh DeTour 4.5. For me it is enjoying the ride as much as how far I ride.
    Pick whatever is comfortable to you. Just remember it takes a little time to break in your butt.

I agree, you have to do some conditioning of body parts.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife JUST went through a similar bike-buying conundrum. She THOUGHT she really wanted a "comfort" bike, but hated every one she rode (especially the Townie). She kept insisting that she wanted a "flat foot" or "cruiser" type bike, though, so we kept looking. She didn't want lots of gears, or anything "rugged". On a lark, we test rode a Trek 7.2 FX, and she LOVES it. Took it home that afternoon, and she and my girl ride almost every day.

So, I guess the only real advice I have: go actually ride the bikes. You may be surprised by what feels the best.

Dudley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Lafayette
    I found an old 1962 Schwinn Typhoon

Just customized it so it would be comfortable for me to cruise on. I built my wife a 1960 Hollywood also. We ride on average around 10-15 miles a week on the cooler evenings/ weekends.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I'll just be slower and that's fine with me.

Not me my man......big down hill, smallest cog, in the drops, knees to the chest....yeah baby!!! I like going fast. I like my Madone. I do like slower riders though. When I'm tired nearing the end of a ride and I see a cyclist a half mile ahead of me I use that cyclist as motivation and I try to catch them before heading home. Kinda twisted, but anybody who does endurance activities understands those mental games you play during training.

My honest opinion is ride what makes you want to ride. A $400 comfort bike on the road beats a $10000 bike that sits unused in a garage.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Believe it or not, the bikes with the drop bars are more comfortable on long rides than the upright ones are. It is all about fit, saddle choice and clothing. I have ridden 112 miles after swimming 2.4 miles and then followed the bike up with a marathon. Sure I was tired after over 13 hours of movement, but if the bike had "hurt" me due to fit and/or clothing and conditioning, there is no way I would have been able to run the 26.2 miles.

I agree, you have to do some conditioning of body parts.

Dude, you are an IRONMAN! That is fricken' awesome. My brother is an IRONMAN finisher too. You guys are just wired incorrectly.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm with Dudley on this one. I ride a '51 Schwinn Hornet, it's my daily, comfort, exercise, beater. It's my go to bike. Most comfortable and best riding bike I've ever owned (I've owned more than I can remember). Restoring/Rebuilding these old Schwinns is a passion and hobby of mine and it's very addictive. They are so simple anybody can rebuild any part of them. Almost (unless you spent over $1000) none of these newer bikes have the quality that the older ones had. I have ridden an Electra before and it rode ok, but not good enough for me to buy one, I need to ride something with personality and stories.

Good luck with your search! -Jon

PS: Dudley, are you a member of Rat Rod Bikes?

Top Bottom