• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Josh Horowitz doesn't seem to like Cody.
    Doesn't seem to think much of the 2A either.

I am surprised at the amount of people taking Josh to task.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    His article seemed to be more against the aspiring gunsmith, than about the ramifications of the printer itself.
    And most of the commenters were wrapped up in the tech, as it pertains to today. Unable to attempt to see the future. Tech gets better, faster, smaller. They were too hung up in its present day limitations.

Instead, the author portrayed the author a certain way. So that his (author) compatriots could ONLY see him in a certain light.
    He's different than me. We must persecute (sp?).

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Hey, Kirk.

Help me out, if you will. Sort of get this particular 3D concept, but hadn't looked into it much.
    The caterwauling from the betwetters and blissninnies doesn't surprise me, yet it seems like much ado about replication of plastics or polycarbonates that will not function as the real thing, i.e. actual firearms. Unless, of course, they're worried that eventually the process will somehow involve metals such as steel, aluminum alloys and such that will function as originally designed, with real ammo.

TIA

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes, the printer in its present form is not able to build a complete gun.
    But, what about 20 years from now?
    Used to be airplanes couldn't sink a ship. Then Pearl Harbor.
    Used to be a computer took up an entire room, to perform simple calculations. Now look at what your computer can do.
    etc.
    etc.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Unless, of course, they're worried that eventually the process will somehow involve metals such as steel, aluminum alloys and such that will function as originally designed, with real ammo.

Because of the influence of Marxist dialetical materialism most of the Left cannot see the future. E.g. goods/the economy/technology is frozen to them as there can never be advancement, government/the Party/a Supreme Leader needs to redistribute good/the economy/technology. A perfect example is health care. One of health care reforms assumptions is that there will be no advancements in health care, in fact they do not want them (the reason for the taxes and regulation). As health care is frozen it can then be redistributed.

Horowitz knows he is defeated, not by the NRA but by MIT. Thus, as the political is personal to Horowitz (it is how he was trained) he believes that attacking this Texan will undermine him. It is silly as anyone can click a mouse and print whatever gun he so desires.

The commentors are off in the weeds like a discussion at the gun shop ("my cousin, who is a reserve deputy town marshal in Gnawbone tol' me twicet that it is highly illegal to . . . "). Talking about things that they do not understand, like 8th graders discussing sex. Very few see what WILL happen, gun control will die.

Read Kaku's Physics of the Future. The replicators on Star Trek are coming, soon.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Replicator.jpg

Oh no! The Replicators are coming!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The commentors are off in the weeds like a discussion at the gun shop ("my cousin, who is a reserve deputy town marshal in Gnawbone tol' me twicet that it is highly illegal to . . . "). Talking about things that they do not understand, like 8th graders discussing sex. Very few see what WILL happen, gun control will die.

Read Kaku's Physics of the Future. The replicators on Star Trek are coming, soon.

There was some pulp SF in the 40s by George O. Smith, The Venus Equilateral series that was based around this concept and it explored how it could change society. I think it was the first work that explored the concept in depth. Read it when I was a kid.

Thing is, gun control itself is a red herring. So let's take away gun control from the mix, but now you can be imprisoned for simply scaring the populace on the suspicion that you are a terrorist. Who needs gun control when the sheep will find another way to give themselves a false sense of safety. As trite as it is, it's not about the guns, it's about the control. An Orwellian future is very likely, or possibly more accurately, one like portrayed in the movie "Brazil."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Every new technological innovation is a fork in the road.

Some will decry it as leading to a dystopia.

Some praise it as a utopia.

However, the human condition never changes. History is not a set path as Marx saw it but a series of waves hitting the beach, humanity. Some waves will be big, some will be small but the beach, humanity, never changes. We will always have saints and sinner, jerks and losers, makers and takers.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    At the behest of the BATFU [credit: mr jarrell] Stratasys has revoked Defense Distributed's lease on their 3D printer. The heavy hand of enforcement is being brought to bear already.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    At the behest of the BATFU [credit: mr jarrell] Stratasys has revoked Defense Distributed's lease on their 3D printer. The heavy hand of enforcement is being brought to bear already.

Scooped by the lamestream media two days ago.

"The Man, always keepin' me down!" - every hippie ever

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dammit but I wanted a LIGHTSABER! :starwars:
    The Star Trek Replicator can make one of those. :D

The Defense Distributed guy went to the ATF to discuss the legal details of his enterprise, and they locked him in an interrogation room. They then went to his apartment to inspect it.

This is why you just keep your mouth shut about the legal aspects of... your hobbies.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    With one CNC milling/lathe which one could easily openly display in their garage, almost any modern weapon could be fabricated given the correct input files. Not once would anyone question why you wanted one. I will say that these files are easily accessible by an individual with half a brain and leave it at that.

New technology is scary and people are sheep.

Top Bottom