• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    It's really unbelievable the people defending and supporting this decision in the facebook comments. They refer to the multi-million $ studies of mass shootings, instead of looking at the reality that these incidents almost always happen in GFZ.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Sad situation... I wonder which people at the school made this decision... Seems pretty stupid!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Can someone point the board to the news reports out of Oregon? Maybe that might change their minds?
    It seems that their reason for not having armed security is the same as umpqua: "guns are dangerous, even in trained hands"...so no, changing the minds of the willfully stupid is futile.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So much fail in that article it's hard to know where to start.

According to a friend of mine (Culver alum), Culver has been significantly influenced by liberalism over the last 20 yrs or so. An "east coast boarding school" dude was brought in to be the head honcho a while back and it's been a steady decline since then. Good at fundraising but not a military-minded person at all.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Is Culver still a military academy?

Yes, it is. Tehre are some military officers there as teachers and administrators and coaches. I think its basically a JROTC program. the students get soem preferential treatment in applications/nominations to the Federal Serrvice Acadamies (USMA, USNA, USAFA, etc.).

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Cosermann is correct. However, Buxton will soon be gone and maybe we will see some changes.
    It is certainly not the same military environment as when I attended in the early 80s. Very sad in my opinion. Especially because that is where I learned how to shoot and earned my first Expert Marksmanship medals.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    An unarmed security guard is nothing more than you or I standing around admiring the scenary. They cannot do anything more than you or I can do as far as the law is concerned. I have been a security officer, unarmed and armed in the past. An armed security person is a little bit of a deterent. An unarmed one is completely useless. Best security on any campus is armed and properly trained faculty. In todays society so called news organizations cover these events non stop for days and weeks. Making these pathetic losers famous, which is exactly what they want. Armed faculty should be a requirement for employment in all schools in America. Sad to say.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    If I paid out the arse to send my kid to CMA, I would expect a slightly higher level of security than a shopping mall.

There are MANY high value targets running around the grounds of CMA at any given time. I would think their parents would be none too pleased by this.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    These people are struggling to balance "having the appearance of keeping people safe" with "not getting sued". "Not getting sued" wins every time in our society. These same people however see no problem with having multiple armed guards on a Brinks truck. Most citizens feel the same way. A truck full of money is more valuable than a bunch of students. It makes me sick.

Top Bottom