• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDimitri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2017
    Crown Point
    I have to say that my favorite two rifle rounds are the 5.56 and the .308. I am wondering if there are people here who have considered trying to find a round that is more middle ground between the two calibers? I have researched information some, but still like sticking with those two rounds. So, curious if anyone has taken the time to do their own research and decided to go such an option.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I have a 6.5 Grendel on the AR platform. I believe it is a very capable caliber that would definitely qualify for that middle ground, in which you are speaking of. For hunting, I have read countless forums where deer have been taken out, to as far as 450 yards. With the added energy over the 5.56 at that distance, I believe it to be superior. For target/long range shooting I would say the caliber is very capable up to 800 yards where 5.56 trails off considerably after 500 yards. Granted, the 308 is a much better long range caliber, the cost to shoot a 308 is also higher. With that being said, unless you are shooting over 800 yards I would think a 6.5 would definitely fall right into that middle ground again. Just my 2 cents, and I also was able to enjoy myself while putting mine together.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I consider the .308 to be middle ground already. If I want to go to something bigger, there is a .300 win mag or even the 30-06 springfield.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    At the risk of sounding rude, how many fights are you expecting to get in that you are concerned about a "defensive rifle round"?

Are you talking semis, bolt guns, or both types of actions?

Everything is a compromise - 223 and 308 most definitely included. You have to consider ammunition/component availability, external & internal ballistics, types of rifles to be utilized, etc.

IMO 6.5 Grendel is an excellent compromise tweening 5.56 and 7.62; you can run it in a bolt gun or small-frame gas gun, has a fraction the recoil of a 308, hits harder than a 5.56 up close and drops/drifts less than a 308 at distance. Downside is ammo availability; you aren't going to 'battlefield resupply' with it.

If finding ammo in an honest-to-God fight or survival situation is your objective, the choice begins and ends with 223/5.56. I personally have a multitude of ARs from 10.5" to 16" length, equipped with irons and red dots and magnified optics. I shoot cheap 55gr FMJ for plinking and a Mk262 clone load for longer range/accuracy work. I also can shoot those same Mk262 clones in my 1:7 twist 223 and 223AI bolt guns should I want/need to, bolt guns that also run an 80gr Amax which has drop and drift less than M118LR/Mk316 Mod 0 for longer range target shooting. If I need to go full WOLVERINES, I can easily run M855 or Mk318 without issue.

My "big gun" these days is a 6mm Dasher, which uses the same primers & powder as 223/5.56, shortening my supply chain. It has fantastic drop and drift, very minimal recoil, is extremely accurate, and is more than enough gun for deer.

I have a 308 bolt gun I am probably going to sell...it simply doesn't do anything (for my uses) that 5.56 and Dasher don't.

How's that quote go? "Beware the man with only one gun, for he probably knows how to use it"? :D

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have to say that my favorite two rifle rounds are the 5.56 and the .308. I am wondering if there are people here who have considered trying to find a round that is more middle ground between the two calibers? I have researched information some, but still like sticking with those two rounds. So, curious if anyone has taken the time to do their own research and decided to go such an option.

I am a Military Guy .....

If I can't get it done, with a .556, or a .308, I don't need to do it .....

I can't go hunting, in the Rockies, like I dreamed of as a youth .....

Back and knees, in too bad of shape .....

I case of war, I will just load what I need, and shoot till I am dead .....

I have several friends, or buddies, that I am pretty sure, I can depend on,

when SHTF, so I don't worry .....

I am as "prepared" as I can get, for where I live, and what I think will happen .....

So for me, these two, will do what I need to do .....

I do NOT want to add another caliber .....

JMHO ..... YMMV .....

JDimitri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2017
    Crown Point
    Not planning on getting in any fights, but have considered consolidating from both the 5.56 and .308 round to maybe one singular round. I have also considered, as stated parts availability. I do love my .308 and 5.56, but at times have considered finding a round that would somewhat fill both calibers and narrow it down to one round over two.

Top Bottom