• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    First, I apologize in advance if this question seems stupid to the more experienced people, BUT...

In every thread I find that involved someone swapping their "dimpled" Saiga FSB for an AK74 threaded FSB, they go straight to taking the entire factory sight off first. Then they press on the new FSB, go through all kinds of lining up moves... and THEN they drill for their pin holes.

It seems to me that the factory Saiga FSB already has detentes for the pin holes, they just aren't drilled yet. Why aren't these people drilling the pin holes prior to removing the factory FSB, using it as a guide (assuming the factory sight is straight). :dunno: Then afterward, they could remove the factory FSB and press on the AK74 FSB, lining up the previously drilled pin holes and not having to worry about adjusting for sight straightness... because it already is.

Seems to me, this would be the easier and more accurate way of doing things. Of course, watch there be some really simple explanation that I wasn't aware of. :rolleyes:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    1) once you press a front sight on, there is little to no moving it for alignment, ie twisting it with out damaging something.

2) the Saiga factory FSB isn't drilled as you metioned, so there is nothing there to serve as a guide.

3) looking back to #2, after you get your new FSB pressed on and straight, you can use the existing holes as a guide. This makes it a lot easier to drill through the hard barrel.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    1) once you press a front sight on, there is little to no moving it for alignment, ie twisting it with out damaging something.

2) the Saiga factory FSB isn't drilled as you metioned, so there is nothing there to serve as a guide.

3) looking back to #2, after you get your new FSB pressed on and straight, you can use the existing holes as a guide. This makes it a lot easier to drill through the hard barrel.

No, the existing FSB is not drilled, BUT, there are dimples where the holes should be (i.e. the guide). They just haven't been drilled through yet. Meaning, shouldn't those dimples be exactly where you want the pin holes to go in order to have a straight setup for the new FSB?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    not much of a guide. that drill bit can still wonder where it wants to go. If you have a vertical mill or good drill press with a table and a good means to hold it down then you might be ok, but there is still a lot of room for error and wandering.

using the fsb as your drilling guide you ca drill the pins with a hand drill

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok, so if I'm understanding this correctly.

It's not because drilling the factory FSB first won't work, it's because people prefer to spend the effort re-aligning their new FSB rather than deal with a wandering drill bit on the factory FSB?

But either way can produce the correctly spaced/located pin holes?

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I would not assume pin spacing on the factory dimples would be the same as the pin spacing on a different FSB.

How hard is it to drill the barrel? The Saiga triggerguard was undrillable for me. I take it the barrel is softer than that?

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would not assume pin spacing on the factory dimples would be the same as the pin spacing on a different FSB.

How hard is it to drill the barrel? The Saiga triggerguard was undrillable for me. I take it the barrel is softer than that?

I'm fairly certain they are the same spacing. The Saigas USED to pin on their FSB. People just pushed the pins out and repined a new FSB using the same holes. They haven't changed the FSB they use as far as I can tell, only their method of attaching them to the barrel.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Ok, so if I'm understanding this correctly.

It's not because drilling the factory FSB first won't work, it's because people prefer to spend the effort re-aligning their new FSB rather than deal with a wandering drill bit on the factory FSB?

But either way can produce the correctly spaced/located pin holes?

It's easier to press the new one on an THEN drill it. Why would you drill the old FSB and risk the holes not lining up correctly when you put the new one on?

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's easier to press the new one on an THEN drill it. Why would you drill the old FSB and risk the holes not lining up correctly when you put the new one on?

Because in my head, the holes should line up correctly and I wouldn't have to worry about canting the new FSB. ;)

Like I said, its a curiosity. I haven't seen anyone do it the way I'm wondering about and I was looking for reasons why. So far, you and others have given valid and understandable responses... although none of them have been "because it won't work"...

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Because in my head, the holes should line up correctly and I wouldn't have to worry about canting the new FSB. ;)

Like I said, its a curiosity. I haven't seen anyone do it the way I'm wondering about and I was looking for reasons why. So far, you and others have given valid and understandable responses... although none of them have been "because it won't work"...

If you want me to I'll say, there's a good CHANCE it won't work. Those holes have to be fairly precise. If you drill through the Saiga FSB and your off a bit, you won't be happy with the method you chose. You'll be able to fix it by re-drilling one of the holes when you get the new FSB on.
    If you were looking for a response of, "It definitely won't work", nobody can say that for sure (you might be able to shoot a 3 point shot blind folded), but you don't want to risk messing it up. Why re-invent the wheel?

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    The only dimples on my FSB are the ones that hold the fsb to the barrel. I would have to guess where the dimples are supposed to be to drill through the fsb. My stock fsb is canted a little bit anyway so I do not really want the new fsb to match the old one if I can help it.

Top Bottom