Current and former LE; What would you say to someone considering a career in LE?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Joining some form of law enforcement has been something on my mind for years. It has always been something that I might do, I have just never had the courage to jump in head first. So those of you who have taken that leap into law enforcement, what advice would you give to someone considering it as a career?

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Joining some form of law enforcement has been something on my mind for years. It has always been something that I might do, I have just never had the courage to jump in head first. So those of you who have taken that leap into law enforcement, what advice would you give to someone considering it as a career?

It really is a calling man. Most cops i know and have worked with have wanted to be cops their entire lives. Depending on where you work, the schedule and pay can be good or bad. I started out working at the jail in Marion county. I got some great training, and really learned how to talk to people that didnt like me, and that has carried over well. I think paying your dues in a jail first is th e way to go. I would suggest against working for Marion county now as it is one of poorest ran agencies in the country. I hope that helped some.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I started out as a reserve deputy. The majority of guys hired started out as either a reserve or a jail officer. Either way you need to get your foot in the door one way or another.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My advice is learn Discretion. When one has been appointed with authority over others some would do a favor to themselves to know when to act like it and when not to. Professional Cordial discretion will go a LONG way. No chips on shoulders needed.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Take a ride along with several agencies. Try a busy one, and then a not so busy one. Figure out what you can handle. Understand that copping isn't all chasing bad guys, and that you will become just as frustrated with dumb "good" guys, than criminals. If your aren't called a racist now, regularly, you will be. Prepare to..... hey wait. I got a vid that sums it up. Standby.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What do correctional officers make? Obviously it isn't an extremely lucrative job, but money is a necessity :)

State around $25,000 For the Feds the Federal Bureau of Prisons start out around $40,000 and top put at $60,000 before you get into the supervisory grades. Add about $5,000 ish to that for shift differential, Sunday pay and Holidays per year and then any other overtime on top of that.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Our son started out as a reserve in a Lake county department. Then moved up to full time. It was a pretty rough area but he got some good street experience. Since then he has moved on to a local University police department. It is a lot less stressful and he makes really good money. The big benefit is he is learning community policing. How to talk to people. Eventually he plans to get back into an urban department.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Take a ride along with several agencies. Try a busy one, and then a not so busy one. Figure out what you can handle. Understand that copping isn't all chasing bad guys, and that you will become just as frustrated with dumb "good" guys, than criminals. If your aren't called a racist now, regularly, you will be. Prepare to..... hey wait. I got a vid that sums it up. Standby.
    This is my recommendation as well. Also realize that this job is a thankless job, and you need to be motivated despite the fact you may be/feel unappreciated.

Also, if you do go into this field, NEVER stop training.

Top Bottom